Cumbria companies

Cheers, you learn summet every day. :smiley:

The Burnholme Guy Invincible would have the “long door” cab and I see it had the LX150 engine and by the “C” reg plate it would also be a late one. A similar unit I used to come into contact with was run by Clarks Transport of Millom but it was “D” reg and had the ■■■■■■■ 180 engine and DB box either 5 or 6 speed. This Invincible must have been one of the last built before the Big J was launched. The Clark’s outfit was driven by a chap called Bob Wright and his regular job was 3 round trips per week Millom to Sheffield. Pig iron out and scrap moulds back to the Iron works in Millom. The trailer was a short tandem probably around 26ft long and it had small one foot high or so dropsides so it ran at the then max weight of 24 ton gvw. Bob’s regular digs was three nights per week at the Kelmscott café at Chorley and Eric and me used to stay there sometimes if we had tipped tinplate at MB Westhoughton. One of the attractions at Kelmscott was the Manager a bloke called Harry used to always get a card school going which my mate Eric was a keen player !! They would play into the early hours so next day I would get a shot at driving the Octopus the following morning :wink: Happy Days !

windrush:

robroy:
What’s that in the cab in front of the back window?
Looks like some kind of tea urn. :smiley:

Anybody know of whereabouts of Buycrider from Shap,.aka Tony?
He was ex Burnholmes/Fawlty Towers.
He ain’t been on here for ages.

Rather large for tea! :laughing: It will be an oil bath air filter for the Gardner engine, most had them in front of the passenger seat or some fitted them above the throttle pedal. Our Foden S39’s had them under the cab infront of the nearside front wheel, the S21 ‘Mickey Mouse’ cab had them inside the cab over the passengers feet.

Pete.

harry_gill:

windrush:

robroy:

Rather large for tea! :laughing: It will be an oil bath air filter for the Gardner engine, most had them in front of the passenger seat or some fitted them above the throttle pedal. Our Foden S39’s had them under the cab infront of the nearside front wheel, the S21 ‘Mickey Mouse’ cab had them inside the cab over the passengers feet.

Pete.

Hiya,
Them internal air filters were excellent for sucking your’e ■■■ ash in.

the second Wrm trailer I’ve seen in Scotland recently. :laughing: :blush: :wink:

robroy:

Try Shap Village “rr.” Cheers Dennis. a.k.a. “Scouse”

Punchy Dan:
0the second Wrm trailer I’ve seen in Scotland recently. :laughing: :blush: :wink:

Oh! Dan’l you sound like you could also be a secret “Eddie” Spotter to me ! The trailer next to the WRM one is more interesting to me —Transamerica---- I bought a few trailers of them when they were being bought out by GE Capital owners of T.I.P… The ones I bought were Lawrence Davids on SAF air. There was 7 or 8 IIRC and they were 13:7 mtrs long but were too high for normal use so they were just parked up as un useable but when I looked them over I could see they could lowered in height for little money so TA were only too keen to get rid so I was able to get them for real handy money and they still stood us at about half the price of new even after they had all been back to LD for lowering to 4 mtrs for use in our Euro fleet ! Cheers Dennis.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I wonder if this Bearing Co is called Scots :question: , I recall picking a part load up for T.B.Pearson Tower Crane makers, Wincomblee Works Walker, Regards Larry.

SKEFCO was the trading name

ringfur:

Lawrence Dunbar:
I wonder if this Bearing Co is called Scots :question: , I recall picking a part load up for T.B.Pearson Tower Crane makers, Wincomblee Works Walker, Regards Larry.

SKEFCO was the trading name

IIRC It was Skifco, They had a place in Newcastle Near the High Level Bridge in the 50/60s,Regards Larry.

Bewick:
Where’s Hodge disappeared til eh! has him and yan of his new Scanias been bulldozed “lock stock” in til a pipe track ? Noo that would mek the headlines in a hundred odd years when the pipe is excavated !! Oooooooo! wees this sat behint the wheel still with his bait box on’t steering wheel a’fron’t of him eh! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Still here Dennis been really busy long may it last,that’s me loading Tar yesterday at Scotswood Road Newcastle for Ponteland

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:
Where’s Hodge disappeared til eh! has him and yan of his new Scanias been bulldozed “lock stock” in til a pipe track ? Noo that would mek the headlines in a hundred odd years when the pipe is excavated !! Oooooooo! wees this sat behint the wheel still with his bait box on’t steering wheel a’fron’t of him eh! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Still here Dennis been really busy long may it last,that’s me loading Tar yesterday at Scotswood Road Newcastle for Ponteland

Glad to hear your still busy Paul up in Larry Dunbar country eh! Aye well lets hope this '■■■■■■ new lockdown doesn’t put the mockers on things over the next few months. Do you stay over in the North East for the duration of the job ? All the best Dennis.

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

Glad to hear your still busy Paul up in Larry Dunbar country eh! Aye well lets hope this '[zb] new lockdown doesn’t put the mockers on things over the next few months. Do you stay over in the North East for the duration of the job ? All the best Dennis.

Hi Dennis I took a load of Tar over from the Carlisle Plant then done a load from Newcastle Plant then loaded Waste Tar from the Newcastle Plant back to Carlisle where it gets crushed and mixed back in with the Base Course Tar mixes

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

Glad to hear your still busy Paul up in Larry Dunbar country eh! Aye well lets hope this '[zb] new lockdown doesn’t put the mockers on things over the next few months. Do you stay over in the North East for the duration of the job ? All the best Dennis.

Hi Dennis I took a load of Tar over from the Carlisle Plant then done a load from Newcastle Plant then loaded Waste Tar from the Newcastle Plant back to Carlisle where it gets crushed and mixed back in with the Base Course Tar mixes

That’s my kind of operation Paul :sunglasses: Laden miles 99% m/t running 1% and for tipper operation that is exceptional I reckon ! Cheers Dennis. :wink:

PCH THE Movie, European Trucking.

Found this on youtube so thought it would be good to post it here for folks who maybe not seen it before ,not sure if its been posted before though.

rearaxle:
PCH THE Movie, European Trucking.

Found this on youtube so thought it would be good to post it here for folks who maybe not seen it before ,not sure if its been posted before though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52GZ6UrHqNg

Er! is this one of Hodge’s old Log Sheets ? :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ex Alberti Carlisle FL.

You’ll recognise this view Dennis. Corn Mill crossing, heading out after you tipped at Docker’s fruit and veg! The sidings behind you, where my uncle, a coal merchant spent hours emptying coal wagons into sacks and then doing his rounds. All those buildings gone now, the entry to B&Q. Tempus Fugit.

John West:
You’ll recognise this view Dennis. Corn Mill crossing, heading out after you tipped at Docker’s fruit and veg! The sidings behind you, where my uncle, a coal merchant spent hours emptying coal wagons into sacks and then doing his rounds. All those buildings gone now, the entry to B&Q. Tempus Fugit.

Now I always understood that you were “brought up” on “upper class” Abbey Road John ! Now I find out that you were “dragged up” in that cottage on the right of the shot just over the crossings ! Was that area of deprivation classed as Hindpool ? :blush: :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

John West:

Now I always understood that you were “brought up” on “upper class” Abbey Road John ! Now I find out that you were “dragged up” in that cottage on the right of the shot just over the crossings ! Was that area of deprivation classed as Hindpool ? :blush: :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Well, my Dad was brought up in Hindpool Dennis. They only had electricity in the barber’s shop that Grandpa owned - gas in the rest of the house. Dad swept up in the shop for his pocket money. Served his time in Vickers and joined the merch. When he came out he bought a van and bought sterilised milk in North Yorkshire and sold it in Barrow. He said he was making about £3.00 per week in the mid 1930s. Not a fortune, but as much as his mates. Then the government changed the price of milk around and suddenly he was making £30.00 per week. So he started his removals and haulage business. This postcard is from 1939 - one of Dad’s vans just happened to be in shot.

That’s a great shot of the Town John ! and I note that a Gracie Fields film was advertised. Was your Dad’s van a Morris Commercial ? Cheers Dennis.