Cumbria companies

John West:

hodgeturbo:

John West:
Couple of Hodgson’s coming out of Barrow this morning. Busy busy!

John.

Hi John Tar from Carlisle to building site on School Street

Ah, tar, ta!

(This passes for a sense of humour with me - not appreciated by my wife, nor probably anyone on here come to think of it!)

John.

Hiya, asphalt exactly the same way as you John we must share the same sense of humour.

Grange Quarry Lockerbie

image.jpg

hodgeturbo:
Grange Quarry Lockerbie

You do load from many different quarries Hodge! Some of the OD’s I worked with would never dream of working from more than one quarry/plant, when there was no work they stopped at home rather than go elsewhere. I went wherever I could get a load within reason, although to be honest the gaffer said some of it was barely worth doing by the time my wages (27% of the load) and the cost of fuel etc were deducted but I needed the money. :confused:

Pete.

windrush:

hodgeturbo:
Grange Quarry Lockerbie

You do load from many different quarries Hodge! Some of the OD’s I worked with would never dream of working from more than one quarry/plant, when there was no work they stopped at home rather than go elsewhere. I went wherever I could get a load within reason, although to be honest the gaffer said some of it was barely worth doing by the time my wages (27% of the load) and the cost of fuel etc were deducted but I needed the money. :confused:

Pete.

Now then Pete it is a long time since Hodge was an O/D eh! He sits behind a big desk in his traffic office now and only ventures out to do the odd high earning night shift jobs ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

windrush:

hodgeturbo:
Grange Quarry Lockerbie

Pete.

Now then Pete it is a long time since Hodge was an O/D eh! He sits behind a big desk in his traffic office now and only ventures out to do the odd high earning night shift jobs ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Mmm, we had ‘high earning nightshift’ jobs when Tilcon ran the quarry Dennis, rate and three quarters. Tarmac soon dropped that to rate and a half, could be less now, and then put their contract hauliers in to do it instead of the regular lads who had been doing it for years. :smiling_imp: Hodge is probably like how you were then, sitting behind a desk ordering the minions about and counting your ‘brass’ while supping single malts and chewing on a big cigar while reading Horse and Hound to decide which new horse to purchase, I have a mental picture forming in my brain already! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:

Bewick:

windrush:

hodgeturbo:
Grange Quarry Lockerbie

Pete.

Mmm, we had ‘high earning nightshift’ jobs when Tilcon ran the quarry Dennis, rate and three quarters. Tarmac soon dropped that to rate and a half, could be less now, and then put their contract hauliers in to do it instead of the regular lads who had been doing it for years. :smiling_imp: Hodge is probably like how you were then, sitting behind a desk ordering the minions about and counting your ‘brass’ while supping single malts and chewing on a big cigar while reading Horse and Hound to decide which new horse to purchase, I have a mental picture forming in my brain already! :laughing:

Pete.

That was the Veiw I had for part of my last night shift

windrush:

Bewick:

windrush:

hodgeturbo:
Grange Quarry Lockerbie

Pete.

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hiya, Er’ some of us “minions” are partial to a nice drop of quality single
malt but because we worked our ■■■■■■■■ off all our working lives for a
pittance at the end of it our tipples only come in mini sized measures,
Oh’ and the cigars well I did get through a few of them in the shape of
Hamlets but had to chuck them when pension age arrived, cheers. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Foden no3

this erf appears in the robsons book after the takeover

oops

hodgeturbo:

Brady Super Comet HEO 3 new into service 14/7/1961 , taken out of service 6/1968.

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Brady Super Comet HEO 3 new into service 14/7/1961 , taken out of service 6/1968.[/quote Well Dennis this photo says it all about the good old Leyland stuff, I ran quite a few Leylands , flats and tippers, They did the job very well A few head gasket issues, But appart from that they were a good reliable bit of gear, How things have changed Eh, Give me the good old days anytime & Stuff all this crap that proper long term hauliers have to put up with, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Brady Super Comet HEO 3 new into service 14/7/1961 , taken out of service 6/1968.
[/quote Well Dennis this photo says it all about the good old Leyland stuff, I ran quite a few Leylands , flats and tippers, They did the job very well A few head gasket issues, But appart from that they were a good reliable bit of gear, How things have changed Eh, Give me the good old days anytime & Stuff all this crap that proper long term hauliers have to put up with, Regards Larry.

Couldn’t have put it better myself Larry !
So here is three shots of Brady’s mixed Leyland fleet from the 60’s for you to “savour” the first shot is HEO 678 which was a 680 Power Plus Beaver and this unit had the two stick reduction box IIRC the second shot is a Badger and the last shot is JEO 192 which was the 680 Power Plus I served my time on with my long time Pal of 40 years the late Eric Postlethwaite. Regards Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, Great old shots of good old motors, When the haulage game was a winner in my book, I never made a fortune running wagons, But I did make a very good living out of my efforts, Plus I my good lady Margaret who looked after the firms finances did a very good job indeed, Thats why I drive a XF Jaguar, In my old age, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Take care my friend, Regards Larry.

Carlisle

Hodger, Had Carlisle Council reopened the Viaduct to traffic after the demolition of the Crown Plaza hotel this incident probably would not have happened,
Cheers, Leyland 600.