Cumbria companies

R.E.Grearson MAN.

Click on advert.

clip re grearson ■■■■■■■ man pcumb.PNG

cattle wagon man:
Hi Leyland 600,
Thanks for the additional info. regarding Hughes & Beattie `s depots.

How about this for a compact tipper with a difference ?
Bearing the name of D Reed of Dalston , Carlisle , it was shining in the afternoon sunshine at the recent Carlisle Vintage Rally .
Surely there`s not many E.R.F. s 4 wheeler tippers with a sleeper extension , and looking as good as this !
Cheers , cattle wagon man.

HI SWAIN/CWM/LEYLAND600. CLAUDE HUGHES NEVER HAD ANY 2 STROKE FODENS - THEY WERE ALL GARDNER 6LWs. EXCEPT FOR 1 X ERF KV TWIN STEER WHICH HAD A 5LW GARDNER. THERE WERE 3 X TWIN STEERS / 2 HAD TRAILERS ON THEM. 4X8WHEELERS AND 1X4 WHEELER WITH A 4LK GARDNER.HIS DEPOT WAS AT BOTCHERBY MILL AT THE BOTTOM OF GREYSTONE ROAD.THE CAR HE HAD WITH THE 4 LK WAS A LAGONDA [WHICH LATER BECAME MY DADS COMPANY CAR /HE WORKED THERE FOR 12 YEARS/ I WORKED THERE FOR 3 YEARS AS A TRAILER BOY] . THERE WAS NO WHITE STRIPE ON THEM. THE YARD THAT WAS ON WIGTON ROAD BELONGED TO CLAUDES BROTHER MATT UNTIL HIS DEATH. THE B.R.S. DEPOT AT CARLETON ALONG WITH THE ST.CHRISTOPHER HOTEL[NOW AN INDIAN RESTUARANT] AND THE 2 HOUSES ATTACHED TO THE HOTEL PLUS THE FODEN GARAGE ALL BELONGED TO CLAUDES SISTER GERTIE WHO LIVED IN A BUNGALOW FURTHER DOWN LONDON ROAD { WE USED TO HAVE TO GO AND DO HER GARDEN FOR HER ]

Kenb:

hodgeturbo:
PG

Who was the driver?? Henry Johnston?

Ken b

No it was Tom Bethwaite

Loading Tar at Carlisle for Keswick

T.H.Littleton MAN.

clip th littleton carlisle man p.PNG

FB_IMG_1576007215531.jpg
Nmp

coomsey:
Nmp

RR220/DB 6:600/Group axle ! what a bag of ■■■■■ :frowning: :wink: Shot somewhere in Kendal ! I could find out from Chris Swindlehurst who the driver of this 32/4 was as he drove for JC for a few years before starting at Bewick Transport ! But seriously those Seddons with that spec really were Crap ! :blush: Cheers Bewick.

hodgeturbo:

I’ve got say Hodge that you really are a “Top Marra” finding shots like these two. The shot of the new AEC Marshal would be about '66/67 and would have been either a “D” or an “E” reg and was about one of 4 or 5 similar that Davy & Co ( Grange) Ltd ran on their K.Fell/J.L.Ion subsiduaries. Some of these single drive axle 6 wheelers were run on Contract Licences for Libby’s and at 22ton gvw they could carry a payload of 15 ton which was similar to an 8 wheeler at the time.
With regard to the E. Nelson 8 wheeler well IIRC this one was an ex Munro of Aberdeen motor but I am not sure who the Driver was, possibly Chris Molineux ? Over the years prior to the new C & U Regs that came in during the late 60’s Nelsons bought secondhand as well as new and they maintained their fleet to a high standard as their Workshop was run by Les, Frank & Jack Nelson ( Les & Frank brothers, Jack was a cousin) although neither of them owned the firm as the sole owner was Maureen Ross ( ne Nelson) who was also known by everyone as “The Queen”. Nelsons main traffic was Cape Asbestos from their plants at Uxbridge and Glasgow and also their fibre abstraction operation in Kentmere north of Kendal.Nelsons eventually just ended up running 7 or 8 artics out of Libby’s in Milnthorpe until their services were dispensed with in the late 80’s and they just fizzled out so to speak as The Queen had passed away a while before their demise. Keep 'em coming Paul, great ! Cheers Dennis.

hodgeturbo:

This is a shot from “The pits”! :blush: Leyland Comet new into service 14/4/1958, “scrapped” 30/4/1968 At a good guess looking at the state of this unit and trailer for that matter I am confident in saying that it’s days down the road were well and truly over and it had been relegated to only operating within the boundaries of Barrow Borough and, of course, the Borough boundary was also that of the Local Police Force ! The Big’un ( Bob Brady senior) was a good Pal of the Chief Constable so the small matter of running untaxed, uninsured, bald tyres, no brakes, no lights and overloaded was permitted as long as the boundary between Barrow and the then County of Lancashire was not crossed !! I kid you not as a 19 year old trailer mate I had a “run in” with shunting a severely overloaded ( 22ton ) 4 in line with a life expired LAD Comet from the Steel Works to the depot for transhipping onto the Octopus and trailer. Well this Motor cycle Bobby followed me into the yard this day and started to enquire why the trailer had no number plate !!! NO ■■■■■■■ No.PLATE !!! and he was no doubt about to set about me big time but The Big’un had “clocked” what was happening and he was out the office and across the yard like a bullet to intervene ! Basically he told the young Bobby to get on his bike and “do one” but with a bit more flavoured language ! finally telling the PC that he , The Big’un, was having dinner with his Boss that night and he would have a word with him about the “incident”. The Bobby did as he was told and got his bike and “went forth” end of incident !
While I’m on the subject of Brady’s and Cowboy town I recall the heaviest load I had seen at around the same time which was about 6 or 7 rounds of loose pulp bales on the low loader which was coupled to an old square cabbed Beaver. The load must have been 50 ton or thereabouts and was en route between Barrow Docks and the then new Bowater Scott Paper Mill ! Why bother doing 3 or 4 trips with a 4 in line and Comet when you can shift the same tonnage in one shot !! Those were the days ! Cheers Bewick.

There is a comet in a wood just north of Penrith in Brady colours :open_mouth: :astonished: looks just like this one

image.jpeg

Annan Distillery

coomsey:
Nmp

That pic looks ■■■■ it was taken at the County ground , Swindon.
Must have some kind of back load as it doesn’t look like paper.

Hi Hodge , is that Millers Atki loading phosphate rock out of the Marchon silo on Whitehaven dock ? I had forgotten about that wagon until seeing this photo.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Hodge , is that Millers Atki loading phosphate rock out of the Marchon silo on Whitehaven dock ? I had forgotten about that wagon until seeing this photo.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Yes I think so Gerald