Cumbria companies

Just to bump the thread back to page1.

Hi, L 600, Did Johnstons Bros of Aspistra ever run A Leyland egr cab beaver unit F reg cheers Barry

Graham Commercials

Carl Williams:

John West:
Found this on FB,

John.

One or two of those have crossed the Pennines to over here in Durham.

On Tuseday Morning I saw a local taxi with above the back door.

'Meend ye heed ( Mind your head)

Definitely more than a couple. I know someone from Darlington and they can 'rattle off’a good ‘chunk’ of that .

Btw, Nowt = nothing.

hodgeturbo:

Hi “hodgeturbo”, Did this firm H & L Have a yard at Clay Flats Workington :question: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

hodgeturbo:

Hi “hodgeturbo”, Did this firm H & L Have a yard at Clay Flats Workington :question: , Regards Larry.

Hi Larry ! yes the H & L depot was on Clay Flatts and they had some tie up with North Lincs Garages IIRC. The “L” was a bloke called Lavery who had been the BRS manager in W. ■■■■■■■ prior to starting up with H & L. I think were before Hodges time so maybe L 600 would know more about H & L. Cheers Dennis.

Should think Eddie Stobart will be turning in his grave right now as the company he started is facing serious financial difficulties, after buying out lots of other transport companies on the way the future does not look too bright at the moment. Of course they have there fingers in many pies but at the end of the day I believe it has grown far too big and unless you have Superman running it at the top the outcome was never going to be great and I don’t think they have that person at the moment.
Have heard that the new Willie Betz company Waberer’s are interested and they have 4500 trucks most cutting rates with Eastern European drivers being paid sub standard rates for the job and pushing smaller companies aside to ruin, what ever happened to our industry, Buzzer.

PS. did I need Bewick’s permission to post on this thread.

How are the mighty fallen:-

msn.com/en-gb/money/busines … cid=SNYDHP

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

hodgeturbo:

Hi Larry ! yes the H & L depot was on Clay Flatts and they had some tie up with North Lincs Garages IIRC. The “L” was a bloke called Lavery who had been the BRS manager in W. ■■■■■■■ prior to starting up with H & L. I think were before Hodges time so maybe L 600 would know more about H & L. Cheers Dennis.

Thanks for the Info Dennis, I used to deliver bagged sawdust to a firm in Clay Flatts called Sultra, They cleaned sheepskins, I was given a reject one so I used it as a bonnet cover on the old Atki I drove, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Larry.

Buzzer, Eddie certainly is not where you say he is yet.
Leyland 600

Hi Larry, Re H&L was formed by Alec Lavery BRS Howgate (Whitehaven) HF Code manager and a guy called Holloway from North Lincs at Scunthorpe circa 1963 They took the BRS traffic to Scunthorpe from Distington Engineeering Co plus a lot of other bread and butter work to Sheffield and some Marchon traffic. They bought seven or eight Johnstones Gilcrux ERFs with the A licenses at the same time in order to start operating. Hodgeturbo’s recent posting was one of the ex Johnstone ERFs.
Cheers,
Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Leyland 600

Do hope he is not as we are owed about K5 for work carried out :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Buzzer:

Leyland600:
Leyland 600

Do hope he is not as we are owed about K5 for work carried out :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Well Buzzer it is looking more likely that you might be whistling “Dixie” for the £5K ! :frowning: :angry: but it could be a lot worse ! Cheers Dennis.

Leyland600:
Hi Larry, Re H&L was formed by Alec Lavery BRS Howgate (Whitehaven) HF Code manager and a guy called Holloway from North Lincs at Scunthorpe circa 1963 They took the BRS traffic to Scunthorpe from Distington Engineeering Co plus a lot of other bread and butter work to Sheffield and some Marchon traffic. They bought seven or eight Johnstones Gilcrux ERFs with the A licenses at the same time in order to start operating. Hodgeturbo’s recent posting was one of the ex Johnstone ERFs.
Cheers,
Leyland 600

Thanks for the Info. Leyland 600, I can recall seeing N L Transport artics loading fire bricks at Castle Carey & Bonnybridge Works of John Stiens Fire Bicks in the 50/60s Era, They were the first firms that I saw with the Hoyner tipper trailer dropside artics, They used to carry tapered wood blocks to go under the wheels to level the trailer up so the fork lift drivers could load them on a level footing as the Hoyners were a tapered funny sort of design, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, H&L also purchased 4 or 5 A licensed wagons from Richard (■■■■) Stamper of Dearham about the same time.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Larry, H&L also purchased 4 or 5 A licensed wagons from Richard (■■■■) Stamper of Dearham about the same time.
Cheers, Leyland 600

So Gerald, would Jimmy J sell out twice as IIRC Onward bought him again in the late 70’s was it or the early 80’s ? Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, I dont know but will ask my mate.
Cheers. Gerald.

PG

hodgeturbo:
PG

Who was the driver?? Henry Johnston?

Ken b