Cumbria companies

Hi Dean, The “B” reg van is a Commer, and looking at the Reg.No., It is from down your way.
Kind Regards and Best Wishes for Christmas. Ray.

Whoops… I put this post on the wrong thread, Stupid Boy !!!

Post tonight on lancs haulier memories one for you Dennis

stevedaff:

Now then Steve ! we were ■■■■■■■■ based Hauliers but I will admit we had more motors operating in Lancashire and Greater Manchester in later years !! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

stevedaff:

Now then Steve ! we were ■■■■■■■■ based Hauliers but I will admit we had more motors operating in Lancashire and Greater Manchester in later years !! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis my mistake if you look at the photo the page is ■■■■■■■ /Lancs ; but always ■■■■■■■ first

Not my photo taken off f book but one I haven’t seen before …any memories : my old man drove with a guy called Geordie Hodgson from Cockermouth IRC .

stevedaff:
Not my photo taken off f book but one I haven’t seen before …any memories : my old man drove with a guy called Geordie Hodgson from Cockermouth IRC .

Hodgsons of Carlisle were quite a large outfit in their day, not Robsons size but probably similar to J & W Watt, their depot was on Blackwell Rd. in Carlisle. I used to come across them at Watts depot in London Colney in the late 60’s where Hodgsons ran an overnight trunk to. IIRC their main traffic down to London was ex Marchons of Whitehaven then their Shunter reloaded via Watts as subby’s. I think they ceased operating in the early 70’ but were not connected to Geordie Hodgson from Cockermouth. Hodgsons of Carlisle also had another business based in Carlisle which was as far removed from a Haulage operation as it could be ! They owned a High Class china and fancy goods shop !! I kid you not ! Cheers Dennis.

heres an oldie for you , Dennis . Ill reveal more later ,… but this disc goes back to WW2 .

Cheers , cattle wagon man .

cattle wagon man:
0heres an oldie for you , Dennis . Ill reveal more later ,… but this disc goes back to WW2 .

OK Roy so what did that disc allow you to do ? Cart luggage from Sebber Station to The School ? :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Happy New Year Dennis.

Hi Dennis & Steve, I did not know Hodgsons Pot Shop as it was known on Devonshire St in Carlisle was owned by J W Hodgson Transport however I bought an Austin 1800 car from Dias’ garage in Carlisle the main Austin dealers a relative of my wife was sales manager and always gave me a good deal with a well cared for car, this wqs the 3rd 1800 I had from him all the others came from well known Carlisle business people. Steve your Dad and I used to watch their wagons turning in and out of Brook St at lunchtimes when we worked at Cowans and always admired them especially an Albion Chieftain in Shell Mex BP colours that delived barrels of oil both large and small. I can remember that twin steer ERF in your posting.
George Hodgson I first knew when he drove one of the first Mercedes tractor units in ■■■■■■■■■■ for Jazzer Johnson of Gilcrux thisunchtimes was the rounded front model not the one with a bonnet. I have not seen him for years until he was sitting in front of me at one of “milkmantom’s” slide show evenings in Fletchertown village hall about 3 years ago. Unfortunately he died about 2 years ago in his early 90s I believe. I understand his wife and HT’s wife were sisters but not quite sure I must ask my mate Ken as they were his aunts.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi Dennis & Steve, I did not know Hodgsons Pot Shop as it was known on Devonshire St in Carlisle was owned by J W Hodgson Transport however I bought an Austin 1800 car from Dias’ garage in Carlisle the main Austin dealers a relative of my wife was sales manager and always gave me a good deal with a well cared for car, this wqs the 3rd 1800 I had from him all the others came from well known Carlisle business people. Steve your Dad and I used to watch their wagons turning in and out of Brook St at lunchtimes when we worked at Cowans and always admired them especially an Albion Chieftain in Shell Mex BP colours that delived barrels of oil both large and small. I can remember that twin steer ERF in your posting.
George Hodgson I first knew when he drove one of the first Mercedes tractor units in ■■■■■■■■■■ for Jazzer Johnson of Gilcrux thisunchtimes was the rounded front model not the one with a bonnet. I have not seen him for years until he was sitting in front of me at one of “milkmantom’s” slide show evenings in Fletchertown village hall about 3 years ago. Unfortunately he died about 2 years ago in his early 90s I believe. I understand his wife and HT’s wife were sisters but not quite sure I must ask my mate Ken as they were his aunts.
Cheers Leyland 600.

I think we touched on J W Hodgson of Carlisle in a much earlier thread Gerald ! Cheers Dennis.

Hiya Gerald…did George (Geordie) Hodgson drive a Foden artic (long distance) for Milk marketing board at Spyat in the 80s?..or am I confusing him with another George/Geordie ?
(Little guy, curly hair and a tache)

robroy:
Hiya Gerald…did George (Geordie) Hodgson drive a Foden artic (long distance) for Milk marketing board at Spyat in the 80s?..or am I confusing him with another George/Geordie ?

I think it is a case of “same name but different bloke” and Geordie Hodgson frae Cockermouth was certainly not a L’al Fella wid a Tash ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

robroy:

I think it is a case of “same name but different bloke” and Geordie Hodgson frae Cockermouth was certainly not a L’al Fella wid a Tash ! Cheers Bewick.

Cheers Dennis…, just that the name rang a bell.

Brown’s new shunt wagons

■■■■■■■■ gill:

One of these in BT Magna-park Lutterworth today driven by a woman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Few ladies on for Armstrong’s. That’s my motor with them. Good firm to work for

■■■■■■■■ gill:

blue estate:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Hey “CG” you are doing a bit of moving from job to job, do you leave of your own free will or do you “get the bullet” ■■? Surely you will be able to hold your own among a load of Birds at Wm. Armstrong !! Or they might hold it for you :blush: :wink: All the best for 2019 and do try to stick in and keep a job for more than a few months eh! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

blue estate:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Hey “CG” you are doing a bit of moving from job to job, do you leave of your own free will or do you “get the bullet” ■■? Surely you will be able to hold your own among a load of Birds at Wm. Armstrong !! Or they might hold it for you :blush: :wink: All the best for 2019 and do try to stick in and keep a job for more than a few months eh! Cheers Bewick.

Hi Bewick

Time was right for a move, had been with Thompsons for nearly 2 years and got a good amount of varied experience from the work they do. From rigid tippers to chipliner’s, I had a go. I enjoyed my time their and really appreciated what they did for me, giving me a start in haulage industry once I had put myself though the HGV tests. The experience I got their was second to none, and lot a hell of a lot to go forward with my career in the haulage industry.
People who know me well understand and respect my reasons for leaving. I have left with a lot of good friends and knowledge, and still learning every day.

I wanted to try something new, new challenge, more experience and hopefully a bit more travelling up and down the road. Armstrong’s are great to work for, great team of drivers, and good amount of new work for me to get a go at. Been the keen as mustard lad I am, I aim to have a go as many different jobs in the haulage industry that I can, I’m sure you where once like that Bewick not so many years ago?

Hopefully one day this this experience will lead to me having my own wagon or two

All the very best to you too marra

Bewick:

cattle wagon man:
heres an oldie for you , Dennis . Ill reveal more later ,… but this disc goes back to WW2 .

OK Roy so what did that disc allow you to do ? Cart luggage from Sebber Station to The School ? :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Happy New Year Dennis.

Further to the licence Disc , this is the car which my father purchased to start his business .
Its an Austin 10 (or 12 ) , and he constructed a small trailer to transport the ( correctly guessed ) trunksfrom the various school houses of Sedbergh School to the local railway station , and vice-versa . The car was later sold and ( with one Hell of a struggle from haulage companies who fiercely objected ) , he was granted an interim B Licence with a radius of 25 miles from Sedbergh Post Office . I think Post Offices were theissuing Offices from where a Licence was registered . Ill name some of the objectors later .
My father is photographed here , standing next to his initial purchase into haulage .

Cheers ,

cattle wagon man .

Scan0280.jpg