Cumbria companies

when I was at johnstons they had a lynx ergo, at one time it had a single axle trailer and was on the barrow dairy job, it had a few drivers on it that I can remember, alan hodgson, alan Kimber, john Johnston,

Took these pics of E & N farrer , loading tar planings at Torpenhow

20170327_132207.jpg

20170327_131507.jpg

New Wagon starting to tek shape

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hardox Steel Body built by Weightlifter,Scunthorpe

hodgeturbo:
New Wagon starting to tek shape

OK Hodge there wus nowt 'int 'Haven News about a wealthy Allonby haulier winning’t Euro Millons Lottery eh! Obviously thoo put a cross in’t knee publicity eh! Cheers Dennis. :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Leyland600:
Hi Dennis, I dont know, old JWG was a farmer at Dubwath where the road branches off the A66 to Ouse Bridge and Castle Inn, I think it would be George and Maurice who would get the company going possibly with ex BRS motors. RWB or AD could have had the answers however I will make other inquiries. I know that Jack Watt bought back from BRS when the sales were ongoing but cannot enlarge any further. JWG had another son who worked on the farm and was electrocuted changing a light bulb in a calf hull or byre about 1960 I think.
Cheers Leyland 600

Hi Gerald, sorry I have not got back to you regarding JWG but been away in warmer climbs eh! . JWG must have got some “A” licences as I recall when I accompanied the “two lads” in the later 50’s we often called into JWG’s garage at the low side of the road and they had 8 wheeler Octopus’s, plus I can just recall a meeting above the Nest at Keswick (IIRC) one late evening when I was with AHB and JWG’s Octopus was driven by Syd Eve ? Can’t remember much else but as always there was a bit of lively “craic” which was way above the heed of a 10/11 year old ! Anyway, your recollection as always is appreciated and priceless, thanks. regards Dennis.

Hi Dennis, I remember Syd Eve what you would call a well built lad, I recall being at Stewart & LLoyds at Corby loading basic slag back home along with RWB and sitting in the bothy waiting to load was Syd along with Norman Harding from Greystoke who drove an Albion Caledonian 8 wheeler for Bernie Mandale. Norman was also weel built and the pair of them sitting on that wooden form certainly tested it. Norman regularly ran strip steel to Lucas at Hall Green and slag back to ■■■■■■■■ Did you bring all this cold weather back with you from the sunny climes you speak of ■■? By the way George (Geordie) Hodgson from Cockermouth ex Johnson Bros and JWG then had his own wagon for years his funeral took place last Wednesday he was about 86 I believe, and was directly related to your friend HT.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hiya Gerald, aye 30 degrees every day for three weeks, phew ! I remember Geordie Hodgson coming into the Mill at Beetham and loading for Smith Bros, and IIRC his Son drove for him as well. I didn’t know he was a relative of HTT though but I suppose a lot of the Marras in W. ■■■■■■■ are related to one another distant or otherwise. Who were you all loading Slag for in those days ? WCF, Eddie Snr. plus a few other long gone Feed mrechants ! I recall RWB telling me not long before he passed away that old ADB used to call at Eddie Stobart’s at Christmas with a box of Roses Chocs and apparently it was eagerly awaited by Eddie’s wee ones ! So I guess ADB must have brought back a few loads of Fert etc. to Eddis’s store. Cheers Dennis.

No Dennis my load and RWBs load was bound for Border Counties Farmers of Carlisle this was ADBs traffic, I dont know who the others carried for thee wre a number of small agricultural merchants back then. J.J. Graham Penrith, ■■■■■■■■■■ & Westmorland Farmers Penrith, Aspatria Farmers, Harrison & Ivinsons, Caldbeck to name a few relevant to the Wigton area. I dont recall any involvement with ES senior.
Cheers Leyland 600

Hiya Gerald, very interesting! so did this Border counties form a large part of ADB’s traffic or was it seasonal or just a “flash in the pan” so to speak ? My hazy “juvenile” recollection of the ADB operation in the 50’s amounted to William driving the Comet which was always on livestock and the same with Beaver although I think I can just recall the odd occasion when the container was lifted off the Beaver ! Then we come to the “Boys” and the two first Traders !! They had the container on sometimes for the big sheep sales but they were mainly busy subbing for BRS at Howgate and on the Pulpwood traffic to Ellesmere and periodically loading with fish for Donnans. If you have a deko in the Motor Transport archive for Carlisle (IIRC) you will see that at the public inquiry when ADB applied for a third “A” Licence he managed to have about 80 supporters at the inquiry which were made up of every farmer within about 10 miles radius of Ireby ! Give the fly old beggar his due he got the additional licence granted !! But then the Trader spent it’s time running on flat traffic and not livestock :wink: Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s my distant recollection ! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, I dont know the details of hauling for BCF , just had a thought it could have been Oliver and Snowdens both companies chopped and changed their hauliers every season. When I started for Jim Lawson in 1962 RWB was on the Beaver, AHB on the Trader with William on the Comet and AD at yam running the traffic office and Mary keeping him right !! They were happy days no matter how far the destination was away everyone spent most of the day loading at Marchon etc went back home , had an hour or two shuteye in an armchair or bed then away doon the road tipped and loaded and back home unless the bogey men were about then it was a night out at The Mayfield. !! On the fequent Liverpool dock deliveries you had to be away from home about 2-00 am which made for along day.
Cheers Leyland 600 .
PS where do you find temperatures like those mentioned.?

Leyland600:
Dennis, I dont know the details of hauling for BCF , just had a thought it could have been Oliver and Snowdens both companies chopped and changed their hauliers every season. When I started for Jim Lawson in 1962 RWB was on the Beaver, AHB on the Trader with William on the Comet and AD at yam running the traffic office and Mary keeping him right !! They were happy days no matter how far the destination was away everyone spent most of the day loading at Marchon etc went back home , had an hour or two shuteye in an armchair or bed then away doon the road tipped and loaded and back home unless the bogey men were about then it was a night out at The Mayfield. !! On the fequent Liverpool dock deliveries you had to be away from home about 2-00 am which made for along day.
Cheers Leyland 600 .
PS where do you find temperatures like those mentioned.?

Hi “Leyland600”, Oliver & Snowdon is a blast from the past, We used to get a bit of Grain Haulage from them in the 70s, IIRC Their manager was called Ross Hall, They were decent rates & paid us promptly every month, The good old days Eh, Regards Larry.

Hi Lawrence its funny how these names from our past suddenly pop up years after they have been forgotten about due to take overs or just closing a business. I remember Oliver & Snowdens warehouse in Rydal Street, turn left at The Earl Grey pub down Botchergate in Carlisle. I used to haul a good bit of grain from the Morpeth area back to farms in my local area on the Solway Pain, for Richardsons of Silloth.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Lawrence its funny how these names from our past suddenly pop up years after they have been forgotten about due to take overs or just closing a business. I remember Oliver & Snowdens warehouse in Rydal Street, turn left at The Earl Grey pub down Botchergate in Carlisle. I used to haul a good bit of grain from the Morpeth area back to farms in my local area on the Solway Pain, for Richardsons of Silloth.
Cheers, Leyland 600

IIRC, In those days they had a office in Haltwhistle, I may be wrong as my mem buds are getting old & mixed up sometimes, But its a old age thing that comes to all of us sadley to say as we progress in our aging years, But its good to see that we are still going, Regards Larry.

Yes Lawrence they had a depot/office at Haltwhistle, I was never there but knew of it. As you say we are getting older and remembering some of these facts can be a bit confusing at times I am now doubting my statement regarding Rydal S, that may have been Border Counties Farmers and Oliver & Snowdens was in the Denton Holm area. .
Cheers Leyland 600.

OK Gerald, I’ve got an “Ireby” general knowledge question for you------- Q. What was always ADB’s favoured foot wear when he was at work both when he drove the Beaver full time and afterwards when he was up and down to the garage" and our holiday destination for over 30 years was and is southern Tenerife, Los Gigantes, Puerto Santiago, we have always had great weather interspersed at times with a bit overcast and some rain occasionally but this year every day was blazing the best run we have ever had over the years ! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, simple answer, wellingtons !! (each day and every day including Sundays)
Cheers Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Dennis, simple answer, wellingtons !! (each day and every day including Sundays)
Cheers Leyland 600.

Correct ! give that man a cigar !! and from memory IIRC Gerald they were “Argyll” brand ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Leyland600:
Cheers Leyland 600.

Correct ! give that man a cigar !! and from memory IIRC Gerald they were “Argyll” brand ! Cheers Dennis.

Hiya,
And as the great Billy Connelly sang, “If it wasne fer your wellies where would you be”
thanks harry, long retired.