Crap Cars

1st car, Green Morris Marina with a brown vynyl roof. Hmmm ,nice. only redeeming feature, full length sun roof. Apart from that , goddam bloody awful thing

Toss up between my first car a 1983 mini that broke down at least once a week and a Mercedes c200 Kompressor coupe. Loads of problems with it and suffered with rust at under five years old. This was a car built in the 21st century not the 1970s but looking round I’ve seen quite a,few modern nerve with rust which isn’t something you see in most modern cars

dikkymint66:
1st car, Green Morris Marina with a brown vynyl roof. Hmmm ,nice. only redeeming feature, full length sun roof. Apart from that , goddam bloody awful thing

With the same Morris Minor built in time bomb of torsion bar suspension arm pulling against the threaded trunnion which held the moving threaded stub axle carrier.As soon as the threads wore out the suspension arm tore itself away from the stub axle carrier then the whole font wheel and hub assembly location went with it. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Look on the bright side at least the 1.8 TC would have been going a bit quicker when it did it and still drove a lot better than any of the Austin Morris front drive junk if you could replace the trunnions in time before the front wheels fell off. :smiley:

Carryfast:

dikkymint66:

With the same Morris Minor built in time bomb of torsion bar suspension arm pulling against the threaded trunnion which held the moving threaded stub axle carrier.As soon as the threads wore out the suspension arm tore itself away from the stub axle carrier then the whole font wheel and hub assembly location went with it. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Look on the bright side at least the 1.8 TC would have been going a bit quicker when it did it and still drove a lot better than any of the Austin Morris front drive junk if you could replace the trunnions in time before the front wheels fell off. :smiley:

You could buy a modified trunnion with grease ■■■■■■■ in to prevent this

I saw a program where I’m sure they said only the very early demo cars had the original set up but the reputation stuck.

pete smith:

Carryfast:

dikkymint66:

You could buy a modified trunnion with grease ■■■■■■■ in to prevent this

It wasn’t all about lubrication because like other designs the grease channel used to get clogged anyway.So you just unscrewed the trunnion and put some grease in it anyway.Which reduced the thread wear rate but the real problem was that a screw thread was never designed to do the job of,what should have been,a ball joint like most other types. :bulb:

kr79:
I saw a program where I’m sure they said only the very early demo cars had the original set up but the reputation stuck.

I know they changed it to the Ital with the zb over head cam motor later.But I know the old Minor design was there well into production of the Mk1 Marina at least but not sure what/if anything changed later.

Have a read of a book called British Leyland chronicle of a car crash if you get a chance. A very intresting book.

amg merk 63 E ■■■■ :blush:

1st car a hilman imp,i rallied it everywhere for a year and never had it 10 days running without it breaking down,though to be fair I mercilessly boy racered it to death…then it was a h.a beagle viva van passion wagon…took off over a humpback bridge ■■■■■■ in a hurry to plough the tart that was with me…landed with a bang,all the lights went out literally as the headlights fell out onto the deck and I ran over them before landing in a field, I ploughed her in the field,then got a tow out early morn…oh the joys of youth…not a lot changed with bl…mini,fx4 taxi…maxi…rangerover.all the same design .or…mini metro…metrocab…discovery…all with same parts…rangerover headlight was a mini headlight,disco was a metro headlight…disco doorhandles were ital,leccy mirror and window switchs from montegos etc…just complete crap from start to finih,thanks to the nips and euros for putting them down the pan…pity it took so long.i had a garage that sold insurance policy type warrantys,the discos,and r rovers were almost double in price as they were such unreliable crap.

JIMBO47:
Renault 5 piece o rusty crap worse than a vauxhall viva I had…wife worst a Talbot samba 4 speed in yparc brown.

Nowt wrong with the Samba - I had a new 1100 - went like s**t off a shovel - only needed 4th for cruising - 88mph in 3rd!!

dieseldog999:
the discos,and r rovers were almost double in price as they were such unreliable crap.

And they’re still the same in that respect!
Mate of mine works on them for a living, says they are absolute junk!! :open_mouth:

Citroen AX.

broke down everyday.

ford corsair column change bench seat ,maroon and rust in colour, second class drive beats a first class walk

A T reg LR freelander 1.8. Without a doubt the worst car i have ever owned or driven…EVER.

Repeat post

Gembo:

dieseldog999:
the discos,and r rovers were almost double in price as they were such unreliable crap.

And they’re still the same in that respect!
Mate of mine works on them for a living, says they are absolute junk!! :open_mouth:

I don’t know if I won the lottery I’d have a Range Rover, and a Defender too lol. Unreliable I know, a Land Cruiser or even a Hi-Lux is better, but they don’t have the same character as a v8 rangey! :laughing: :laughing: