British leyland cars.Montego,Maestro

What piles of ■■■,they were,union factories dropping tools,cars not fitted correctly,with striking factory workers in the 80`s.Ugly cars,and old folks driving them below the speed limits to Bournemouth and back with toffees and a thermos on the back seat.Shame the UK lost all the bike manufacturing to japan,with Honda,Yamaha in control of the world market share.Susuki too. :grimacing:

Yes, the Austin Allegro even had a steering wheel that was the wrong shape. And my Austin Cambridge had similar acceleration to my truck.

True story. Back in the days when Cowley was on both sides of the road, the production line from the pressing/body assembly shop went on a conveyor over the road. When BL built the Maxi’s big sister, the 2200 it was too wide for the conveyor!! So the shells had to go by road,across the road!! :unamused:

My Nan had a Allegro,on a seaside trip,im sure the crows and gulls would get there first!!!Was faster to walk there.The Austin princess,what a minger,big shape,and the Morris Ital. :unamused:

I remember BL thought putting an MG badge on the Metro and Maestro would make
them appear sporty and fast :open_mouth: . Funnily enough it didn’t. :laughing:

Colingl:
I remember BL thought putting an MG badge on the Metro and Maestro would make
them appear sporty and fast :open_mouth: . Funnily enough it didn’t. :laughing:

When I was younger I had both an austin metro (first car) and an MG metro. The only difference was red seat belts and a headache from the “big bore” exhaust

I’ve now got a post BL rover 200. Its old but doesn’t have all these fancy gizmo’s computers and sensors to go wrong. (plus it has been well looked after)

toby1234abc:
My Nan had a Allegro,on a seaside trip,im sure the crows and gulls would get there first!!!Was faster to walk there.The Austin princess,what a minger,big shape,and the Morris Ital. :unamused:

allegro,s slow, i wish youd posted this 20+ yrs ago, me and my dad went over to wales to see my grandad , he decided to come back with us, my sad drove his triumph 1300 ,and i drove dads 1 week old vanden plas allegro back[ it was his pride and joy :unamused: ] . i left 1st and when i pulled out the severn bridge toll booths i went for it big style [ like you do when your young :wink: ], foot to the floorboard all the way up the m4[thinking dad was behind me.
what i hadnt realised was dad new a short cut back to the bridge, i didnt see him as i passed him, but he certainely saw me :frowning: :frowning: ,i pleaded with i was only doing 60 , but he was having none of it , i got knocked up and down the hallway a few times[ derserved it mine],it was 90+ on the speedo.

Austin All Agro :stuck_out_tongue:
My Dad was given one of these as a company car when he returned to truck sales after a 20 year break. I still blame the car for his death, it was the shame you see :blush:

Triumph Toledo,sports version,all the dials and nice racing seats,was grampys boy racer toy. :laughing: