Sheds; what was the worst car you ever owned?

Got the idea for this from another forum I post on.

We’ve all been there, that dark moment of the soul when you realise that the tin box on wheels you’ve just paid a king’s ransom for, is in reality a device designed to empty your pockets, break your heart, get you sacked for being late for work, and get you fit by making you walk miles to a garage.

Of all the cars I ever had, the worst was probably a Citroen BX; total rot-box, and nearly killed me when a hydraulic pipe burst on the motorway, leaving me with no power steering, suspension or brakes! No wonder “Citron” means “lemon” in French!

Which car were YOU glad to see the back of?

B reg, red Austin Maestro. More rust than red though

austin metro :laughing: :laughing:

Ford Sierra 4x4. Only had it for 18 months and it went through 2 complete sets of drive shafts and a gearbox.

The engine was spot on - if anything it was too good for the rest of the car!

I’ve had my present car (BMW 320i) for 7 years and in over 80000 miles of motoring, apart from tyres, brake pads and servicing, it’s only cost me the price of a new water pump.

Great thread! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I have to hold my hands up to a Citroen BX too!

my first car was one of these

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

talbot alpine … but a great car to learn on ,especially when it broke down
always when least expected for instance in winter it would start after been covered in snow all week , but come a sunny day flat battery
did more walking when i owned that car

Ford Cortina mk4, nuff said!

An Austin ALL AGGRO!! , i was driving to work one morning when an ambulance was coming towards me so i mounted the kerb to let him past and the front suspension collapsed :frowning:>

austin metro

clutch went on mine and they quoted me £135 for a new one .sadley it went to the big scrap yard in the sky.

vw polo what a complete bag of [zb]. [zb] thing didnt like cold mornings. had to drive like jim carrey in ace ventrua pet detective when it rained as i could see more with me head out of the side window then the wind screen :smiling_imp:

jon

My first car, a mk1 Cortina, the one with the Captain Scarlet tail lights.
It cost me £100 to buy and £150 to insure (fully comp, 21, no history).

Actualy it wasn’t a bad car really, just old. The starter would occasionally jam up, but I sorted that out by cleaning the bendix. After that it started no problem. The rust worm had been having a good go at the back wings too.
On one occasion, Anne and I were on the way to a motorbike club party with three of our mates squeezed into the back seat. I had to come to a virtual standstill on the bends, the rear tyres where rubbing on the inside of the wings when we drove over bumps in the road . :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:
I sold it to the local scrappy for £50 about a year later. By that time it had a couple of big blocks of wood in the boot, jammed in on top of the shocks. The top mounts had rusted through and the springs had come through into the boot.

One of theses, but mine was dark blue.

and the Captain Scarlet tail lights.

Here’s a nicer shot of another one.

Thanks to the UK Ford Cortina web site where I nicked these pics.

My worst car was the reason i had two of the worst cars in the world…

I had an ■■■■■■ Twin Cam which leaked and used more oil than a colander, it would never start in the cold and wouldnt start when it was warm. It let me down so many times I almost lost my job, so I bought a Simca 1501.

Out of the crap and into the mire

worst ive ever had was a series 3 landrover :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:
[zb] piece of [zb] :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:
we used the back window as the oil gauge! when the window was so
covered in oil i couldnt see out it was time to top it up [1 gallon per week]
owned it for 6 months and every time we went out somat bust :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
saved on diesel though cos it did more miles on the back of AA wreckers
than on the road :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:
i was doing some walling work for a farmer over Haworth way it was
starting to snow so i packed up and set off home. i had gone about 5
miles when i smelled burning, by now the snow had turned into a
proper pennine blizzard so i caried on till i couldent see for the smoke in the
cab :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
this time the wireing had set on fire :imp: :imp:
anyway i managed to put out the fire and limp it home with no electrics
next day i got £1500 part ex for it at carcraft rochdale :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
the idiot salesman didnt even look at it till we had sealed the deal :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
the look on his face was tops :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

mr jinx:
worst ive ever had was a series 3 landrover :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:
[zb] piece of [zb] :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

I had an S3 and it was actually really good. Sure, it wasn’t fast, and it used almost as much oil as it did fuel, but I paid 750quid, drove it for 2 years including some towing, only spent about 100quid on it in repairs in that time and then sold it on for 600. It never let me down once.

I’m struggling to think of what my worst car was as everything I’ve had has had good and bad points, but I think I’m going to pick the F reg fiesta I had as a cheap-n-cheerful daily runabout a couple of years back. It was slow and noisy (only 4 gears) and every time you looked underneath there was a new rust hole to plate over. Still, it only cost me about 300quid including all the repairs I had to do on it and I sold it on for 150 after having done something like 8000 miles without breaking down so again I guess what should I expect for that money?

Currently driving a K plate pug 205 diseasel that I paid 380quid for a year ago. It’s quicker than the fiesta, quieter on the motorway, more comfortable and does 50-55mpg average going up to over 60 on a run. Also unlike any fiesta ever, it’s made of half decent steel so it isn’t rotten yet. I’ve done 10,000 miles and had one breakdown so far when a rear wheel bearing collapsed on me but once the AA had got me home that was only about 25quid and 2 hours to fix.

Paul

Austin Montego :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Nuff said.

Once had a mk5 cortina 1300 paid about £100 for it.
to start it you had to syphon some petrol out of the tank and pour it down the carb. Then it ran fine till the engine got cold again. :unamused: :unamused:

Actually it couldn’t have been that bad cos it did Cambridge to St Neots on 3 cylnders when I picked it up (4 plug was ■■■■■■■

Another bad one was the mk2 Cavalier. To start you had to twist the black wire to the red wire, then touch them with the stripy wire. (and no it wasn’t stolen!!!)

eventually I got fed up of these and spent the same sort of money and actually got a decent car :wink:

A Lada :blush:

Don’t laugh, it was one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley:

First car was a Ford Corsair.

Worst was a Volvo 340, picked it up at an auction one tuesday night to get me home, paid £75 for it, ran it for about two months before it had to be taken off the road, it was bloody dangerous :blush: :unamused: needless to say I scrapped it.

Ive had all the boy racer type cars,RS Turbo, Cav SRi, Orion 1.6 EFI Ghia all of which ran like a dream, them for some reason decided id treat myself to a 3 year old Alfa romeo 156 Twin Spark, fast as ■■■■,but in 12 months it had 2 wheel bearings,2 drive shafts a new ECU, full exhaust system, new shocks on the front,had to have new spark plugs at £18 a plug and there was 8 of the little devils, the list is endless, id never buy another Alfa as long as there produced. Now ive pushed the boat out abit more and just brought a 2 year old Mitsubishi L200 Warrior,2.5 turbo deisel fully blinged up and more chrome than one of Coles wagons, 20000 miles on the clock and I got it with a 100000 mile warranty,so hopefully for at least another 5 years ive got hassle free motoring

gav:
Ive had all the boy racer type cars,RS Turbo, Cav SRi, Orion 1.6 EFI Ghia all of which ran like a dream, them for some reason decided id treat myself to a 3 year old Alfa romeo 156 Twin Spark, fast as [zb],but in 12 months it had 2 wheel bearings,2 drive shafts a new ECU, full exhaust system, new shocks on the front,had to have new spark plugs at £18 a plug and there was 8 of the little devils, the list is endless, id never buy another Alfa as long as there produced. Now ive pushed the boat out abit more and just brought a 2 year old Mitsubishi L200 Warrior,2.5 turbo deisel fully blinged up and more chrome than one of Coles wagons, 20000 miles on the clock and I got it with a 100000 mile warranty,so hopefully for at least another 5 years ive got hassle free motoring

You wont put me off that easily :smiley:

I still love the ALFA and will get my 2.0 Selespeed 156 soon :stuck_out_tongue:

Cant blame you wheelnut, they are a cracking car to drive and look the muts nuts,when mine worked properly it was a joy to own.
Just make sure you get a decent one mate,with low milage and service history,and always keep abit saved by for a rainy day because the parts aint the cheapest