Coop Group Lorry Photos ~ Past and Present

Co-op Scania near the Bungalow on Isle of Man TT course…

Chris Webb:

Hello Chris Webb

Excellent photo marra. Many thanks for that

Out of interest, how many Coop’s are there on the Isle of Man?

Kindest regards
CG

truckfing:
Preston Reg on a Volvo doesn’t mean a thing CG. I think most of them are leased, they are all over the country.

Hello truckfing

Many thanks for that marra. Though they bought out right but I suppose not many do now a days!

Kindest regards

CG

wheeltapper:
From an old Observers Book

Hello wheeltapper

Kindest regards
CG

wheeltapper:
From an old Observers Book

You couldn’t go to far around Nottingham when I was a kid without tripping over one of these old Sed-Atki’s!

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Chris Webb:

Hello Chris Webb

Kindest regards
CG

Hi CG,there’s a Co-op in every town on the island,and two in Douglas.A double-decker ususally comes in twice every 24 hours via the ferry from Heysham and it is transhipped onto other trailers in their depot.I think Wincanton had the contract over here at one time but I’m not sure who runs the job now,unless it’s in-house.They are all Scania units at the moment but they did have a FL10 last year running about.

Chris

Seany:

A bit front heavy…

Saw that done at a Texaco terminal down Reading way a lot of years ago, driver loaded it, parked it, pulled out and the legs for reason known only to themselves, collapsed. It was loaded with spirit, I left my motor and just got well away from the thing. They got a lifter in and some (a lot) of straps on it. Couldn’t PUMP spirit off so it was lift it, get lots of wooden blocks under and get another unit under it.

grumpy old man:

Seany:

A bit front heavy…

Saw that done at a Texaco terminal down Reading way a lot of years ago, driver loaded it, parked it, pulled out and the legs for reason known only to themselves, collapsed. It was loaded with spirit, I left my motor and just got well away from the thing. They got a lifter in and some (a lot) of straps on it. Couldn’t PUMP spirit off so it was lift it, get lots of wooden blocks under and get another unit under it.

Hello grumpy old man

Thankyou for that marra. Many thanks

Kindest regards

CG

Chris Webb:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Chris Webb:

Hello Chris Webb

Kindest regards
CG

Hi CG,there’s a Co-op in every town on the island,and two in Douglas.A double-decker ususally comes in twice every 24 hours via the ferry from Heysham and it is transhipped onto other trailers in their depot.I think Wincanton had the contract over here at one time but I’m not sure who runs the job now,unless it’s in-house.They are all Scania units at the moment but they did have a FL10 last year running about.

Chris

Hello Chris

Many thanks for that marra

I’m quite surprised at the number of Coops on the Isle of Man! I expected there to be one in Douglas and maybe one in one of the larger towns, but not that many!

A Volvo FL10 eh. Was that a artic or a rigid marra?

Kindest regards
CG

It was a tractor unit,it had a Manx reg number-like they all have-but I’m almost sure it was ex Wincanton.

3 from me:

scarren:
3 from me:

Hello scarren

Many thanks for those excellent photos marra. Many thanks

Kindest regards
CG

Chris Webb:
It was a tractor unit,it had a Manx reg number-like they all have-but I’m almost sure it was ex Wincanton.

Hello Chris

Thankyou for that marra

Surely must be one of the oldest lorries still on deliveries in the Coop fleet?

Kindest regards

CG

a couple of my old drives from my chelston days

pimmer73:
a couple of my old drives from my chelston days

Hello pimmer73

Excellent photos marra. Many thanks

Kindest regards
CG

Many years ago- even before MY time- some of the bigger co-operative societies used to manufacture their own vehicles. Has anyone got any info on this?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Many years ago- even before MY time- some of the bigger co-operative societies used to manufacture their own vehicles. Has anyone got any info on this?

Hello Retired Old ■■■■

Now, I have never heard this one before. I’ll look into it for you marra

Kindest regards
CG

Thanks, matey. I believe Gloucester Co-op were one of the outfits building their own bodies and possibly the whole vehicle. I’ll do a bit of research myself & maybe we can come up with something between us.