Container Haulage in the 70's

When I was 16 and had a bit of bother on me motorbike and as a consequence lost my licence for six months I got a job with Kier construction when they were building the new container berth in Southampton docks. The money was good for a teenager and I used to catch the first bus in in the morning and only a short walk over the rail line to the site. You could work seven days a week if you wished which I did for a long time working to seven or eight at night and saved like hell to get a better bike when I got my licence back.
On a busy day it was nothing to poor 150 yards of ready mix into the new quays, there were loads of Indians there doing all the reinforced steel fixings as I remember, also loads of chippy’s doing the shutter work twas a very bust site that but after six months Ide had enough so moved on to better things, Buzzer.

Hello All
Getting back to those half height soft top containers heres one to the left of the A series ERF on 20ft skelly.
Regards Jacko

ramone:
Anyone remember ACT , they had a depot in Stourton Leeds and probably everywhere else in the UK , white and blue i think. :wink:

Think ACT were Associated Container Transport and built the Container Bases in Leeds Manchester and Birmingham a lot of freight used to be consolidated at the bases in the early days. Birmingham Base closed years ago and Leeds and Manchester are now part of Maritime with a good chunk of the offices and warehouses sub let to other operators.

This was my uncles F86 with a Bell Line container out of Teesport, and as commented before no twistlocks on these trailers at that time as they were usually used on steel work out of BSC on Teesside, so containers were just chained down onto trailer.

CNV00010.JPG

backload:

ramone:
Anyone remember ACT , they had a depot in Stourton Leeds and probably everywhere else in the UK , white and blue i think. :wink:

Think ACT were Associated Container Transport and built the Container Bases in Leeds Manchester and Birmingham a lot of freight used to be consolidated at the bases in the early days. Birmingham Base closed years ago and Leeds and Manchester are now part of Maritime with a good chunk of the offices and warehouses sub let to other operators.

Smith of Maddiston Manchester depot had 2 Big J Guy’s on contract to ACT,running out of the container base Trafford Park,150 Gardners if I remember correctly,woeful motors!

David

Glyn John Transport :smiley: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:

IMG_0156.JPG

Lawrence Dunbar:
I used to do quite a bit container work in the 70s, Subbing to Marsden Freight Services, (DFDS), the containers used to come in at Tyne Dock North Shields, The gaffer was a real nice bloke Jackson Armstrong, IIRC His right hand man was called Colin Daverson ■■, It was a regular job, Not the best rates but Marsdens paid on the dot, Sadley I don’t have any photos, Regards Larry.

My father drove for Marsdens from 1970-75, he was based in Dobsons yard in Straiton. He said it was a good job and company to work for.

5thwheel:

backload:

ramone:

Smith of Maddiston Manchester depot had 2 Big J Guy’s on contract to ACT,running out of the container base Trafford Park,150 Gardners if I remember correctly,woeful motors!

David

I can imagine they were , i thought there would have been more photos of ACT motors on here

5thwheel:

backload:

ramone:

Smith of Maddiston Manchester depot had 2 Big J Guy’s on contract to ACT,running out of the container base Trafford Park, 240 Gardners if I remember correctly wonderful motors!

David

FTFY

Marsden north shields yard willington quay. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: - :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

8LXBV8BRIAN:
2Marsden north shields yard willington quay. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: - :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Great photos, brought back good memories! My dad was there 5/6 years and didn’t have one picture. He got a new 2800 Daf in 74 must have been one of the 1st out back then.

8LXBV8BRIAN:
2Marsden north shields yard willington quay. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: - :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

These Marsden photos stirred a distant memory and I remember the company, but there was something else I couldn’t quite recall. After a couple of days churning about in my sub-conscious it has suddenly come to me. I once employed an ex-Marsden driver, name of Alex. No doubt his surname might come to me in another 2 or 3 days time. :blush: :blush: