Compare the UK trucking to Canadian

the big thing with getting a job in MB as a temporary foreign worker is after 6 months work you ask your employer for a letter offering a full time job if you get PR…well you apply to MBPNP give it a couple o months they nominate you for PR as a semi skilled worker with Canadian express,you then send of the paperwork to the federal gov for PR then about 6 months later medical ,then aprox 6months later passport request (copy) then a couple o months its pr time …now its all done on express entry (computer).under Canadian experience . the sticking it for 6months then moving firm is done(my mate did) but would have to be in MB and same job ie trucking ,you contact MBPNP and tell them . Morden /winkler are small cities fastest growing area in MB. …also if you know some one that lives in MB it helps as well as it shows you are intending to settle. :wink:
MB &SK the PR process is yours …but in AB its the company that calls the shots. BUT the big thing is to get a work permit.

Winkler and Morden are not places I would recommend to anybody, unless they were German or Ukrainian and extreme Christians, they’re not just in the bible belt, they’re the buckle on the belt. Living there would turn a dream into a nightmare pretty fast.

would not live there myself …but its a way to a means / a way in. …Morden being the better of the two ,does have some good transport companies that I have looked at and a couple o Dutchmen that live in the village I’m in drive for morden companies.

Thanks Jimbo for clarifying that for me.
I have nothing against small Christian towns, But wouldn’t want to live in one, as I’m not the type of person that would enjoy living in small communities, I like bigger places, even Steinbach, which I suspect is being considered as one of larger cities by Manitoba standards, wouldn’t be for me and I wouldn’t want to apply to emigrate this way.

There are a lot of jobs for long haul truck drivers on kijiji with hourly rates being quoted in the region of $23 - $26 per hour.
Are these really hourly paying jobs, or am I missing something.
Not many adverts for long haul truckers quoting mileage pay, but hourly paying jobs mostly.
What’s that all about and where is the catch?

Steinbach is the third largest city in MB, but there’s not much to do unless you want to go to church, it’s a good place to bring up kids though as the God bothering nature of the majority means there’s not much crime at all, you can leave your car running outside a shop and it will still be there when you come out, so in that respect you can’t beat it.

If you want a bit of life and soul then Winnipeg is the place to be, there’s something there to cater for all tastes, but it’s not cheap, my house in Winnipeg would be up to 50% more expensive than it is in Steinbach.

However, the oil patch is slowly gaining momentum again and when elogs are mandatory in December there will be a need for more drivers as the dinosaurs and cowboys will be unable to survive in the industry, so AB and BC may be viable options again, I would hold off until next year, just in case they do, both provinces have far more going for them than MB or SK in my opinion.

hkloss1:
Thanks Jimbo for clarifying that for me.
I have nothing against small Christian towns, But wouldn’t want to live in one, as I’m not the type of person that would enjoy living in small communities, I like bigger places, even Steinbach, which I suspect is be9ng considered as a large city by Manitoba standards, wouldn’t be for me and I wouldn’t want to apply to emigrate this way.

There are a lot of jobs for long haul truck drivers on kijiji with hourly rates being quoted in the region of $23 - $26 per hour.
Are these really hourly paying jobs, or am I missing something.
Not many adverts for long haul truckers quoting mileage pay, but hourly paying jobs mostly.
What’s that all about and where is the catch?

The catch is this is what they say you will make when running at cents per mile, ie .40c at 50mph =$20… there are hr rates but usually on “local” .

All these are valid points you mentioned there NMM, and I know on one hand I would enjoy living in a small Christian community, because of very low to non existent crime and people in general are good and helpfull, but on the other hand due to lack of attractions people want to know what others do on daily basis and this could be tiring.

Do you chaps remember having to count your points if you had enough of them, when you where applying for your PR in MB or other provinces, or maybe this points system doesn’t actualy apply when a truck driver comes to Canada having secured a job offer prior to him comming to Canada ?

Trust me, compared to some of the other expats, the locals are fine! Brits in Steinbach would make a brilliant soap opera lol.

The points system didn’t apply as MB nominated us for PR to fill a skills shortage, we had been here working and were settled, both at work and home, with kids in school etc.

Things may be different now though. The Trudeau regime is supposed to be overhauling the system.

There is an alternative now too, all you have to do is walk across the fields near the border at Emerson MB, apply for asylum and you’ll get housed, go on benefits etc etc etc. Apparently rural Manitoba is becoming the new Sangatte!

The last idea sounds like an easy one to follow.
What I would only need to do is to spend a month on holiday, say Benidorm, don’t apply any sun cream, don’t shave , travel to the US, pretend not to speak English, lose the passport, and job done.
Having a copy of Q***n on me , when stopped at border, would virtually guarantee me all the benefits available to refugees and a speedy PR processing.
Beats finding a transport company with LMIA and being treated poorly for 2-3 years till you get your PR, any day.

There is a guy on YT, called Sergei, he does heavy haul.
Sometimes I take a look at his vids, but not very often.
Last night I had a look at his latest video and he said he hadn’t done anything for the last two weeks as there was no work, so he’d been sitting , checking loads every day, but nothing had been coming up.

He does heavy haul, so I guess it’s much more risky part of the business.
Have you, chaps, experienced any slow down recently?
I guess pulling van or a reefer are the safest jobs there are in haulage business in Canada, so I guess drivers doing this type of work shouldn’t be affected too badly.
Am I right?

hkloss1:
The last idea sounds like an easy one to follow.
What I would only need to do is to spend a month on holiday, say Benidorm, don’t apply any sun cream, don’t shave , travel to the US, pretend not to speak English, lose the passport, and job done.
Having a copy of Q***n on me , when stopped at border, would virtually guarantee me all the benefits available to refugees and a speedy PR processing.
Beats finding a transport company with LMIA and being treated poorly for 2-3 years till you get your PR, any day.

There is a guy on YT, called Sergei, he does heavy haul.
Sometimes I take a look at his vids, but not very often.
Last night I had a look at his latest video and he said he hadn’t done anything for the last two weeks as there was no work, so he’d been sitting , checking loads every day, but nothing had been coming up.

He does heavy haul, so I guess it’s much more risky part of the business.
Have you, chaps, experienced any slow down recently?
I guess pulling van or a reefer are the safest jobs there are in haulage business in Canada, so I guess drivers doing this type of work shouldn’t be affected too badly.
Am I right?

this is the best idea ive heard in a while, put a towel on your head, stop shaving for a while, forget how to speak english, burn the passport, and walk the 3 mile walk from US to emerson, better than look for a LMIA, and get screwed by a trucking company, cheers for that.

i read that your talking about NB, i spoke to a friend of mine, we did our Class 1 in the same school, he worked in NB, for a year then packed his bags and flown off back to his country, he told me he made aprox 1800-2200 and needed the help of a food bank so hes wife and child wont starve to death, what a life?!
btw, PEI, NB and another two provinces lounches a pilot to recruit drivers straight throu the PNP process, i saw an advertisment on NB immigration web page, they recruiting next month drivers, but only Polish and Ukranian citizens.

Just like everywhere else in Canada, in New Brunswick there are an abundance of incredibly crap jobs that are so far beyond the pale of acceptability to British norms that they would break many peoples will to stick it out and many do return.
I’ve had a truly horrendous job here (to get PR), then a few average jobs that where fine while single but wouldn’t support a family or if they would, I’d never be with that family and now for the past four years I’ve been at an exceptionally good company, but the only reason they are exceptionally good is because they’re not primarily a transport company, they’re a greenhousing company that has 14 or 15 of their own trucks to deliver their own product during the various growing seasons and we do general freight in between.

I’m home 99% of weekends for the full weekend, and compared to all the bottom feeder companies in the area, I’m on very good pay and conditions and I’ve had 3 or 4 pay rises since I’ve worked here, something general transport companies almost never give unless half their fleet is empty and they’re desperate for meat in the seat.
As I say, I generally work five days a week, Monday to Friday and last year I grossed $62k, some of our guys who large it and choose to max out are in excess of $70k but I’m not here to work like that, I want a family life as I now have a wife and a toddler and this is as good as its going to get without moving back to England.

newmercman:
Trust me, compared to some of the other expats, the locals are fine! Brits in Steinbach would make a brilliant soap opera lol.

The points system didn’t apply as MB nominated us for PR to fill a skills shortage, we had been here working and were settled, both at work and home, with kids in school etc.

Things may be different now though. The Trudeau regime is supposed to be overhauling the system.

There is an alternative now too, all you have to do is walk across the fields near the border at Emerson MB, apply for asylum and you’ll get housed, go on benefits etc etc etc. Apparently rural Manitoba is becoming the new Sangatte!

You are right about Emerson becoming the new Sangatte. I came through the border this week and there were two camera crews and their vans hanging around looking for people to film. Although I didn’t see any increased activity on the US side; probably not trying to stop people leaving.

Brits in Steinbach ■■ Top ten in the ratings every week.

If you’re going over as a truck driver then points assessment is only for your Provincial Nominee application, not PR. You will of course be working in order to apply for that, after 6 months, and your ongoing job offer will give you so many points towards it that not an awful lot else matters like age, language abilities, education etc in the PNP you are largely competing against people outside the country who are applying based on having a relative there and no actual job, just looking for the chance to come over and find a job, they will have far less points than you.

AS you are working so PNP is relatively fast at about 6 months or so after application but PR will take you between 1-2yrs, this is for MB. I believe SK is virtually identical, AB is just a pain due to requiring employer application but also the impossibility of finding a job able to employ you in the first place.

In MB the points system is redundant as the province puts you through for filling a skills gap, which is why you go on an LMIA first. The LMIA proves you’re needed to fill a job and allows you to bypass the rest of the requirements. You do need to meet the 2yrs experience and the financial and criminal record requirements though.

You might actually be right chaps, as I didn’t see any points system a truck driver would need to complete in any other province (Saskatchewan, Alberta) so, I could have gotten a little confused and got all these programs confused when looking at various MB programs.

I remember there being a points aspect to the NB PNP application in 2009 which I only just scraped past. My lack of experience (I was only 25 at the time) and the fact I had not done an exploratory visit to Canada first lost me points but I managed to scrape enough together one way or another. This wasn’t anything federal but merely a NB provincial requirement. No idea if its still the same.

Good day for comparisons if anyone’s unlucky enough to be out in this crap throughout SK/MB . not pretty .

I’m marooned in Regina and my other motor is stuck on the side of #1 east of Virden. 24hrs and counting…

The view from highway 1.

Go for a beer , you’re not moving for a while . Shut Eastbound from Regina now also :unamused: