Coming from America!

I’m a newbie to this forum, but not the industry. I’m a hazmat tanker driver from NYC and planning on coming to England within the next year. ( hoping ) would anybody know if my class A CDL with Hazardous Materials endorsement would be honored. Or would I have to start from scratch? 25 years experience! Also would anyone know of any American companies in the UK? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

DanMarino:
Also would anyone know of any American companies in the UK? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

-mcdonalds
-kfc
-pizza hut
-Burger king

-ups

Michael Douglas:

DanMarino:
Also would anyone know of any American companies in the UK? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

-mcdonalds
-kfc
-pizza hut
-Burger king

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll definitely look into that! Would you happen to also know if they have there own trucks?

Victa1:
-ups

Another good one! Thank you!

DanMarino:

Michael Douglas:

DanMarino:

-mcdonalds
-kfc
-pizza hut
-Burger king

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll definitely look into that! Would you happen to also know if they have there own trucks?

They all use trucks to get the goods from warehouse to shops Dan :wink: I don’t know if your endorsements would be honoured in the UK - There’s an Ex Pat forum here on Trucknet and there’s a few Brits on there who work/drive in the States,one especially Pat Hasler hauls out of Yonkers ( I think ) maybe you could get more joy there.
Good luck.

we all drive on the wrong side of the road here… apart from that, it wouldn’t cost you too much to get our licenses. why are you looking for American companies in the uk? I don’t see why you would have any problems being hired by a brit outfit.

jbaz73:
we all drive on the wrong side of the road here… apart from that, it wouldn’t cost you too much to get our licenses. why are you looking for American companies in the uk? I don’t see why you would have any problems being hired by a brit outfit.

Thanks for your response! From the research I’ve done, the British companies could only sponsor me if they could prove that they couldn’t fill the position with a British citizen. But I could be mistaken. Driving the right hand drive would just take some getting used to.

Ramon123:

DanMarino:

Michael Douglas:

DanMarino:

-mcdonalds
-kfc
-pizza hut
-Burger king

They all use trucks to get the goods from warehouse to shops Dan :wink: I don’t know if your endorsements would be honoured in the UK - There’s an Ex Pat forum here on Trucknet and there’s a few Brits on there who work/drive in the States,one especially Pat Hasler hauls out of Yonkers ( I think ) maybe you could get more joy there.
Good luck.

Thanks for the quick response Michael. I’ll definitely look into that forum and look him up. It’s tough finding somebody like me going to the UK on Google. ( driver wise ) I found the reverse though. I do appreciate it… Thanks again

Lots of agency work over here Dan - I prefer to work on the agency as it suits my lifestyle (work when I want to/when I can) though lots of drivers hate them; each to their own says I. :wink:
Which area of the UK are you looking at working/living in ?

Ramon123:
Lots of agency work over here Dan - I prefer to work on the agency as it suits my lifestyle (work when I want to/when I can) though lots of drivers hate them; each to their own says I. :wink:
Which area of the UK are you looking at working/living in ?

I’ve heard of that Ramon, but don’t know much about it. I’ll definitely look into that! I’ll be in Preston in June. That’s where I plan on living and working. Getting me there permanently is the tough part lol. But I’m sure working on it. Hopefully if I find work I won’t have a problem staying in England. Thanks for your input!

DanMarino:
…the British companies could only sponsor me if they could prove that they couldn’t fill the position with a British citizen…

Well that won’t be hard to prove - there are so many overseas drivers in the UK already that it must presumably demonstrate a significant lack of British talent currently available.

Such a shame, though, that immigration is a one way street. It is relatively easy to get into the UK, but nigh on impossible for a UK driver to get a visa elsewhere. Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA are pretty much all closed up tight at the moment and opportunities are scarce.

American Air Force bases are Lakenheath and Fairford, they have American trucks for tankers on fuel to aircraft and general haulage for supplies.

toby1234abc:
American Air Force bases are Lakenheath and Fairford, they have American trucks for tankers on fuel to aircraft and general haulage for supplies.

Thank you Toby! I’ll look into that

I taught an American some years ago who had all the US truck categories and his position was that in the UK he was treated as a newbie with no more or less than anyone else who had just passed LGV

KBR is an American firm based in Texas, they send drivers all over the world, to dangerous countries and also to non conflict countries.
I would not drive in Syria, Afghanistan or Iraq.
But there are jobs on fuel tanker convoys there.
Willi Betz transport go there under armed ■■■■■■.
Have you considered working in Australia or New Zealand ?

ROG:
I taught an American some years ago who had all the US truck categories and his position was that in the UK he was treated as a newbie with no more or less than anyone else who had just passed LGV

Thank you for your feedback. So basically I can transfer my CDL over to a UK license? Without the endorsements of course.

ORC:

DanMarino:
…the British companies could only sponsor me if they could prove that they couldn’t fill the position with a British citizen…

Well that won’t be hard to prove - there are so many overseas drivers in the UK already that it must presumably demonstrate a significant lack of British talent currently available.

Such a shame, though, that immigration is a one way street. It is relatively easy to get into the UK, but nigh on impossible for a UK driver to get a visa elsewhere. Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA are pretty much all closed up tight at the moment and opportunities are scarce.

DanMarino:

ORC:

DanMarino:

Sorry to hear that! But hopefully it will go well for me!

DanMarino:

ROG:

Thank you for your feedback. So basically I can transfer my CDL over to a UK license? Without the endorsements of course.

Think what Rog is saying is that you will have to do all your licence again in the UK as they are not transferable & you would be like any other new driver so your 25 years experience counts for nothing