Clubs and Dances, Pubs, were truckers delight

David Miller:
Cannons Marsh. Now there are a whole lot of memories right there.

What was that Pub called? The Hatchet was it?

David

This one David. Les

X873_881_Bristol_012[1].jpg

That’s the one Les.

That was a rough old Pub back in the day.

David

I am hoping that maybe some off the South Wales Boys can help me out with this one. :smiley:
In the early 70’s I had a couple of nights out parked next to a holiday camp somewhere along the coast in I.I.R.C. the Swansea area although Stormy Down and Portcawl are in the back of my mind.
This camp was full of caravans but the thing that stuck out was that the club on the site on the inside was built like an old Mississippi River paddle boat. It was only open in the summer, they had a great bar with a disco and even though they had many young families there the kids and anybody under 18 had to leave at 9 p.m.
Somebody had told me about it so I decided to check it out the next time that I was down there and was surprised to find several other lorries from around the country parked there. The doorman asked if were from the camp and when we said no we were lorry drivers he just said “O.K. you can come in but no trouble lads”.
Has anybody got any ideas of the name of this holiday camp. :confused:

Dumfries, remember when the car park was the lorry park at nights and the Hole I’ The Wa’ was the place to go, had some great nights out in there, its now my local for a couple of months, still a good pub, its like a time warp, just the same apart from the prices, don’t remember the mural down the passage but maybe i was looking at something else more interesting back then.

dlp.jpg

mushroomman:
I am hoping that maybe some off the South Wales Boys can help me out with this one. :smiley:
In the early 70’s I had a couple of nights out parked next to a holiday camp somewhere along the coast in I.I.R.C. the Swansea area although Stormy Down and Portcawl are in the back of my mind.
This camp was full of caravans but the thing that stuck out was that the club on the site on the inside was built like an old Mississippi River paddle boat. It was only open in the summer, they had a great bar with a disco and even though they had many young families there the kids and anybody under 18 had to leave at 9 p.m.
Somebody had told me about it so I decided to check it out the next time that I was down there and was surprised to find several other lorries from around the country parked there. The doorman asked if were from the camp and when we said no we were lorry drivers he just said “O.K. you can come in but no trouble lads”.

Hi mushroomman,post this on South Wales 60,s thread there be a few on there who will know cheers John

mushroomman:

Hi Mushroomman,
Sounds like you were in my home town of Porthcawl at The Showboat in Trecco Bay.Back then Trecco was the largest caravan park in Europe.
Regards Andrew.

For years drivers used to aim for their favourite watering hole, or place of entertainment, in the area they had to deliver there loads to. North of England had some great clubs, with top class bands and top acts, Manchester, Bolton, Blackpool, Morcombe, Carlisle, Hamilton, were just a few for that side, Newcastle, Sunderland, South shields, Hull, Leeds, Wakefield, Batley, Sheffield, Circus Taverns Luton, and London A13, Portsmouth, Southampton, Exeter, And many more, what was your favourite Place, and why?. I knew some wives would not let their husbands take any good clothes or two much cash with them, we had onr on BRS, who alls said I only have £2,50p, and that was when a pint was almost a pound. come on lads, there must be some great tales out there still, also what do you younger lads do now apart from sleep? Sandman Norman

Pontefract always used to be good. Can you still park nr the hospital. I know the ■■■■■■ were spoiling it by stealing diesel and slashing curtains at one time. Great night out though in the town though.
Leeds was good on a wednesday if you could get there and we used to park on land at Crown point bridge right in the city which has offices on it now.
Does anyone park on the seafront at Redcar anymore? I remember when it was difficult to get parked some nights because so many artics were lined up in the coach park next to the sea and if you were late parking up you had to park on the lesiure centre car park. Another great place to go for a few pints and a takeaway plus there was that nightclub upstairs on the front. Was it called shadows or something?
What about Liverpool dock rd? That was good years ago but last thing i knew there was only Nina’s left.
I think the days of parking up and going on the ■■■■ have long gone and in fairness probably for the better as i don’t think they are suited to todays society but it was a good laugh back then, for sure.

A few stick in my mind and you can easily date me from them. Truckers at Godmanchester. 5th Wheel Club at Trafford Park and Pat’s Truckstop Bar opposite Spillers. The Dominion in Liverpool and of course my local. The Earl de Gray :laughing:

We had a couple of rough dives in the North East too. The Zetland and the Bongo Club :laughing:

I have mentioned the pub near Greenhithe or Northfleet where the barmaid would get her chest out for a pound. The amount of tanker drivers and Glendinning car transporter drivers in that little riverside pub should have made the Guinness book of small miracles :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot of lads I knew used the Riverside at Stockton on Tees and frequented the Blue Post(I think thats the name) for an evenings entertainment.Anyone recall this one.Some of the tales they came back with unbelieveable :laughing: :unamused:

The Dominion was good a few years back used it a lot. There was one a little further down the dock road that was OK can’t remember it’s name.

The Wynsford in Cardiff,Wed night.The Coop rooms in Newcastle,Monday night-park on St James park.,Earl de Grey(sp) in Hull–any night!!!In fact any large town/city when trucks could park in the centre,before lorries became the spawn of Satan to be sent off to MSAs;and when you were working sensible hours.If in digs you had to park by 6.00 for evening meal and breakfast was 7.30.15/- night out money in 1967!!!(75p).The difference was that a lot of trucks were carrying own-account goods,transport costs written in to the price of products so transport did not have to make a profit.

altitude:
The Dominion was good a few years back used it a lot. There was one a little further down the dock road that was OK can’t remember it’s name.

Me neither, it was probably to do with the alcohol consumed :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

altitude:

Me neither, it was probably to do with the alcohol consumed :stuck_out_tongue:

Your right there mate :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks lads, its great to see some real truckers are alive and kicking, the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, and into the early 90’s, I had some great night out, Pontifract was good up till closing time, castleford had a great nightclub, yes I have parked near the hospital, also at Knottingley, once there was a nightclub there, Doncaster, park on the old cattle market, and get in to the workingmens clubs, then finish up at the " Seventh Heaven" nightclub, and women from all over the area, used to come, several in coach loads. Truckstop at Carlise, when that shut, down in to town, to the “Talk of the North”. Mecca’s at Manchester & Bolton, always had the big bands who was on come dancing. Blackburn, Preston, and Blackpool all had good places to visit. Leeds also had a good Mecca, used to park near the indoor market. Stafford used to park oppersite the Pub in the town, then walk to the club. Nottnigham had the big bands too, and said to have 12 females to every male■■?, but what could us tired out truckers do with all of them■■?, just dream Ha Ha Ha. Sandman Norman

yes I remember going to BRS depot there, and I went to a pub just below, and ended up in the club, with a mother and daughter as dancing partners, never did back to that place, due to getting on the M/E

Stanfield:
A lot of lads I knew used the Riverside at Stockton on Tees and frequented the Blue Post(I think thats the name) for an evenings entertainment.Anyone recall this one.Some of the tales they came back with unbelieveable :laughing: :unamused:

Yes have parked there, and got my sheets slashed and beer stolen, when on Carlsberg, went into town to nightclub, very very good night.

welshphil:
The Wynsford in Cardiff,Wed night.The Coop rooms in Newcastle,Monday night-park on St James park.,Earl de Grey(sp) in Hull–any night!!!In fact any large town/city when trucks could park in the centre,before lorries became the spawn of Satan to be sent off to MSAs;and when you were working sensible hours.If in digs you had to park by 6.00 for evening meal and breakfast was 7.30.15/- night out money in 1967!!!(75p).The difference was that a lot of trucks were carrying own-account goods,transport costs written in to the price of products so transport did not have to make a profit.

altitude:

I remember a driver who was on with us, he walked in the Dominion, he bought a “regular lady” a drink and she asked him what he wanted for Breakfast :smiley:

Yeah Always a few of the girls in there, they were all good for a laugh ( and other things ) I never got into that side of it, as the saying goes --------- only here for the beer. :slight_smile:

hi, wakefield was good any night, a bar called new york new york was great before they pulled it down.donny was best on a tuesday,the colnels at bloxwich must have been the all time best truckstop ever with its own nightclub.the roll inn at widnes was great before a girl was murdered near there, its a pityfull place now.northampton was a really good night out for pulling birds.its not the same now most jobs you have to be up before you go to bed dont get me started!!!
cheers steve.