Class 1 work!

Hi all,

I passed my class 1 in 1990, but I have so far never used it. The company that put me though my class 1 only needed a class 2 driver and as training was the same price for both licences I opted to do the class 1 course and passed first time. I stayed in this job for over 12 years driving a ridged so I didn’t get to use the class 1. I worked for Driver Hire for most of last year, but they kept me on class 2 work, not keeping to their promise of training and class 1 work. I am out of work for Monday so I was wandering what to do to get class 1 work. I been considering getting a few lessons with driving schools but they all use very small trailers or a ridged with a trailer, and I feel this wouldn’t benefit me that much. I don’t feel confident enough to just get in an artic and go, so what should I do. I am 39 with a clean license and I only live 10 mins from Immingham Docks, so there is a lot of class one work around this part of the country. :confused:

Regards
Paul W

paul you have just answered your own question :blush:
get in touch with transport companies around immingham tell them the situation and ask if it possible for a baby sitter to come out with you for a few days till you get the hang of it again.
its like riding a bike.
have a drive around with your nite out kit in the car and go door knocking and say you can start now you never know you may get a break
best of luck
chris

Even though a learner vehicle is’nt that much like a working wagon, it might be worth your while to have a day on a learner artic, just to give yourself a bit of confidence. After 14 years, it may be just the shot in the arm you need, to get you started again.

I agree with Simon.
Ask at the local Driver Training Schools about a ‘refresher course’ and how much it would cost.I would guess at about £30 per hour.
Explain your circumstances and what you think you might need to brush up on.I would suggest - reversing around cones,coupling and uncoupling, air suspension on unit (make sure the firm you choose uses a modern air suspension tractor with a 40 foot or so Box type trailer),driving round and round the off road manouvering area watching in your rear view mirrors (both sides) to see how you can just miss that cone :sunglasses: :sunglasses: with the trailer wheels and then finally out on the road for an hour with the instructor.
Make sure you can be provided with a certificate to show any prospective new employer, worded to the effect that you have taken a one day refresher LGV C+E course and have reached an acceptable standard of competent driving and knowledge.
I would think with your experience on a rigid the road run would be no problem for you.(just remember the wider turns at corners though!) :slight_smile:
As an added bonus ,the training school might be able to put a word in with a potential employer in your local area - as with all industries,in transport it’s not just what you know,it can also be who you know. :slight_smile:
You live in Grimsby, which if I remember correctly, I read somewhere has the highest concentration of Food - related industries in Britain.Plenty of driving job potential too,whatever happens to the rest of the economy, us Brits like our food!
Also the Humber Docks seem to be thriving. Again, plenty of potential jobs around Immingham and Killingholme for artic drivers.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on. :smiley: :smiley:

Well I’ve been job hunting all day. Most companies want you to have some experience, some are very fussy, I went to one small company who said they needed drivers and could I come for a driving assessment tomorrow morning, not sure what they will want me to do, but I’m ■■■■■■■■ it already. I also rang quite a few driving schools, but most are booked up with one and two week courses. I have seen quite a few Denby lorries training drivers but I’m not sure if they are training their own drivers.

Bye for now
Paul

paul, your in the same boat as me mate :laughing: i,m doing just the same as you
looking for a classs one refresher course.

denby transport do transport training because i,ve seen it advertised on their
website (can’t remember the address though) you`ll have to type it into a
search engine

have you seen them training in those top of the range scanias then mate
if so,if so i know where i,m going for my re-training even if it is 40 miles
there and back :laughing:

p.s did you do your test at watnall because i do see a rigid training vehicle
from lincoln in their (that same scania training vehicle that you allways see
in linclon) :laughing:

Well I did the assessment and it was a disaster, the day started badly, I said will you show me were you check the oil and water, he said [zb] that we haven’t got time for that rubbish. The wagon was an old Iveco with a crash gearbox. I spent most of the time trying to get the bloody thing in gear :blush: , anyway it was a tipper lorry, we drove from killingholme to Immingham docks got loaded with something which looked like cement dust and drove to Scunthorpe steel works. When we got there he asked me to reverse up to a massive pile of this stuff, then we got out and tipped it. He drove back saying he had to get a move on, all the way back he kept saying this is how you should have done this and this is how you should have done that. I couldn’t wait to get out of the truck, when we got back he said he would let me know. The whole experience has knocked my confidence for six. :cry:

sidan
I did my class 1 in Grimsby, I did my class 3 in the army at leconfield. Check out this link to Denby’s, the price’s will make your eyes water.

lb.connexions-lincsandrutland.co … ction=view

However the training is a proper wagon, New Scania with a forty odd foot curtain side trailer. :smiley:

Edited for Language - AndyM (If it needs stars, thast a good indication its not allowed :wink: )

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

p.s love the bit about the oil and water :laughing:

Hi paulGY, I’m in Cleethorpes too. I suspose you’ve tried giving Mike Burch a ring have you? Top banana in my book!!

Hi tezza

Actually I haven’t tried Mike Birch, I have seen him plenty of times in rigid, but I didn’t know that he had an artic as well. Mike Birch was my instructor when I did my class 1 14 years ago, he worked for a company called MI.T.S back then, and he was a right son of a Birch, but he got me through my test first time, so he must be good.

Yes he’s got an artic. Works for himself now. It’ll usually be Tracy that you see in the rigid. She does most of the Class 2’s. I don’t think Mike’s in the book now but I have his number if you want to give him a call.

He’s still a bit of a Birch(!) but once he’s said what he needs to it’s then forgotten and he’s as nice as pie.