Getting class 1 work! can anyone help?

I’ve been driving class two since January and i passed my class one in May. I have been offered lots of class 2 jobs and turned them down as i am only doing agency just to get experience as a driver.
I got into this industry to drive class one essentially.
I have not driven a class one since passing my test (other than two days in the same week as doing my test).
I thought i might of been driving class one this week at the docks but that fell through due to the fact my agency umbrella company were not able to insure me.
Can anyone offer any advice getting class one work as its catch 22… you can’t get a job cause you’ve got no experience but i can’t get any work to get any experience!
Are there any companies that are willing to hire new drivers with no experience and train them up?
I have since forgotten how to reverse (as i had an interview with aldi and could not reverse into their very very precise ■■■■■■■■■■■ lines) due to the fact that i have not driven a class one since May… so training would be gratefully accepted.
Any advice would be great :laughing:

just keep trying different agencies, one of them might have a client that takes new drivers and trains them. In return for something though

How old are you Nics ?

Might be time to go knocking on doors. Employers can and do take on newbies.

Radar19:
Might be time to go knocking on doors. Employers can and do take on newbies.

Register with a few more agencies and if you still don’t get offers of class 1 work, then just take some class 2 just to earn some road experience

Could try Downtons at Tilbury.Think you need to apply online from the website…But i know they are looking.And i’m sure they take on new passes to…Worth a shot.

I was told time and time again “No one will give you class one work you can only get class two” from my lovely agency in Leeds. I ignored them and stuck to my guns saying I will only do class 1 as I want the experience, This is how it went for me in 2013

• Passed class 1 August 2013
  • Three agencies tried to force me to do class 2 multidrop telling me I had wasted my time doing class 1 :imp:
  • Two days after passing my test an agency got me a job with Potters of Selby but a real hike 1.5 hour drive but class 1 though
  • Stuck that out for 6 weeks then another agency got me a job at Roadways containers I was there until xmas
  • Hardly worked Jan Feb 2014 but got work on TNT and DHL through another agency in March 2014
  • Again I kept hitting the less than 2 year barrier so had to stick with the horrible agencies
  • Did some fridges and covering holidays etc through to August 2014 (Hooray got a year under my belt)
  • Things got a bit easier in that Agencies stopped telling me I had to do class 2 now then asked :unamused:
  • 2015 found I was working for some agencies that I had been with before and they tried to trick me into class 2 :imp:
  • Had a break form driving and decided to wait until I got the two years
  • Now working for a firm and don’t think I will ever touch an agency again

It is tough but I had little choice, if I had accepted the agency stance that I have to do class 2 I would have still been doing it now and then the agency would say “But you have been driving class 2 and have no experience of class 1” :imp:
Agency = ■■■■■

Go knock doors. It helps to know someone, even if they are a mate of the owner’s wife’s sister, just to maybe get your name noticed and your CV/Application moved up the pile. Knowing someone isn’t essential and turning up with the right attitude and having a chat with them is, and a ■■■■ sight better than being a voice on the end of the phone or a name on an email.

I’ve just been given a start on Class 1, I’m 21. Got it through knocking doors and being a pest.

A.

Where do you live nicsawalker as jenkinsons would probably give you a go , they’ve recently trained up a couple of drivers from the dole queue so they would help you brush up on your driving a bit , they have trucks based round the country so worth a punt

Stobart’s will take on new passes, subject to an assessment drive and interview.

Are you any where near Haverhill ? If so my lot Culina take some newbies on in fact we have a lad start this week who only passed his class 1 at the end of July this year.