Chip liners

I don’t know anymore but with H&S I doubt they will let you loose in a trailer with a sweeping brush.

It could be a cracking little number or a proper pain in the arse. Factories and sawmills need to get rid of sawdust and chip, other factories need sawdust and chip to make cat litter, firefighters, briquettes, farmers need sawdust and so do the pubs I use [emoji23]

Wheel Nut:
I don’t know anymore but with H&S I doubt they will let you loose in a trailer with a sweeping brush.

It could be a cracking little number or a proper pain in the arse. Factories and sawmills need to get rid of sawdust and chip, other factories need sawdust and chip to make cat litter, firefighters, briquettes, farmers need sawdust and so do the pubs I use [emoji23]

Thats a good point about getting on a trailer with a brush.
And knowing my luck it’ll be a pain in the arse.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I used to do Chipliners.

Basically they carry many of the same bulk products as Walking Floors. In my experience it was often wood chip, recycled wood chip, dust and bark. But it could also be bales of recycled plastic. These bulk products would be loaded into the top of the trailer by removing the roof sheet (just like a walking floor) and you would wait in you cab with an eye on your weight display on the dashboard and give the loader a toot of the horn when you got up to about 42/43 tonnes. Then you reapply your roof sheet and strap it down. The load is held in place by ultra robust load securing curtains.

When tipping, once directed to the appropriate place by the shovel driver, loosen your straps down the side nearest where the load will be pushed out to LEAVING EVERY FIFTH STRAP FIRM on the way down. Chipliners differ from normal curtains in that they have over 30 individual straps on each side so it’s a time consuming business. By keeping the fifth straps shut the product will seep out the gaps created but will make it easier to fully open the curtains without getting drowned by the product by then going back and opening the ones you’ve left (This might not make much sense written down but you’ll see what I mean when you go to do it). Release your trailer pins and ensure there are no lips protruding above the height of the trailer bed (as the shovel will damage these when tipping). Now repeat the process on the other side hold the curtain three quarters of the way down the trailer towards the front. Also open the back doors. The shovel driver will push the bulk product out into a pile at the side of the trailer. On the shovel driver’s command move both curtains towards the back of the trailer so they can shovel out the product at the front.

Once they give you the ok you usually hand the shovel driver your paperwork to be signed and close your back doors. They will drive round behind your trailer and nudge you out of the small pile of product surrounding you. Obviously at this point you’re back in your cab with the handbrake off, tag axle lifted and ready to steer out. If it obvious where to go to sweep off the trailer go there; if not ask the shovel driver. Head to the sweeping area and sweep off your trailer bed, mud guards, cat walk etc then head off!

The other feature of chip liners that you can use them for general haulage work. I would often tip a bulk load at somewhere like Egger Hexham and then reload with MDF boards from the same site. When you start your week in the Chipliners make sure the trailer’s box is equipped with at least 20 ratchets and straps and 40 corner pieces. Customers such as Egger will insist upon and supervise adequate strapping of their products with appropriate corner pieces. Insist to whoever you’re running for that you have adequate straps if they aren’t there and for god’s sake insure you have a heavy duty brush for sweeping!

Chipliners take a few days of getting used to and you’ll notice that tipping at the rhythm of a shovel driver can certainly get your heart rate up but once you’re used to it you’ll be fine. If you’re unsure of anything ask people. Site staff in the Biomass game are, on the whole, far more helpful and approachable than staff at warehouses and RDC’s as most of them are skilled workers.

Best of luck.

If you’re doing it longer term I’d recommend a P3 filter half face mask as dust is really tiny and has similar effects to asbestos.

Pretty much every asbestos company used the Sundstrom SR100 when I did it but any similar mask will work. You quickly get used to wearing it and will only be wearing it for a few minutes. Add a pre filter (dirt cheap) and you wont need many new proper filters.

Most you get in B&Q will be P1 or P2 which dont offer the same protection by a long way. Worth it if you value your lungs.

arco.co.uk/products/168600

Telt:
I used to do Chipliners.

Basically they carry many of the same bulk products as Walking Floors. In my experience it was often wood chip, recycled wood chip, dust and bark. But it could also be bales of recycled plastic. These bulk products would be loaded into the top of the trailer by removing the roof sheet (just like a walking floor) and you would wait in you cab with an eye on your weight display on the dashboard and give the loader a toot of the horn when you got up to about 42/43 tonnes. Then you reapply your roof sheet and strap it down. The load is held in place by ultra robust load securing curtains.

When tipping, once directed to the appropriate place by the shovel driver, loosen your straps down the side nearest where the load will be pushed out to LEAVING EVERY FIFTH STRAP FIRM on the way down. Chipliners differ from normal curtains in that they have over 30 individual straps on each side so it’s a time consuming business. By keeping the fifth straps shut the product will seep out the gaps created but will make it easier to fully open the curtains without getting drowned by the product by then going back and opening the ones you’ve left (This might not make much sense written down but you’ll see what I mean when you go to do it). Release your trailer pins and ensure there are no lips protruding above the height of the trailer bed (as the shovel will damage these when tipping). Now repeat the process on the other side hold the curtain three quarters of the way down the trailer towards the front. Also open the back doors. The shovel driver will push the bulk product out into a pile at the side of the trailer. On the shovel driver’s command move both curtains towards the back of the trailer so they can shovel out the product at the front.

Once they give you the ok you usually hand the shovel driver your paperwork to be signed and close your back doors. They will drive round behind your trailer and nudge you out of the small pile of product surrounding you. Obviously at this point you’re back in your cab with the handbrake off, tag axle lifted and ready to steer out. If it obvious where to go to sweep off the trailer go there; if not ask the shovel driver. Head to the sweeping area and sweep off your trailer bed, mud guards, cat walk etc then head off!

The other feature of chip liners that you can use them for general haulage work. I would often tip a bulk load at somewhere like Egger Hexham and then reload with MDF boards from the same site. When you start your week in the Chipliners make sure the trailer’s box is equipped with at least 20 ratchets and straps and 40 corner pieces. Customers such as Egger will insist upon and supervise adequate strapping of their products with appropriate corner pieces. Insist to whoever you’re running for that you have adequate straps if they aren’t there and for god’s sake insure you have a heavy duty brush for sweeping!

Chipliners take a few days of getting used to and you’ll notice that tipping at the rhythm of a shovel driver can certainly get your heart rate up but once you’re used to it you’ll be fine. If you’re unsure of anything ask people. Site staff in the Biomass game are, on the whole, far more helpful and approachable than staff at warehouses and RDC’s as most of them are skilled workers.

Best of luck.

Wow… I’ll be keeping this bit of info handy. Thanks!

trevHCS:
If you’re doing it longer term I’d recommend a P3 filter half face mask as dust is really tiny and has similar effects to asbestos.

Pretty much every asbestos company used the Sundstrom SR100 when I did it but any similar mask will work. You quickly get used to wearing it and will only be wearing it for a few minutes. Add a pre filter (dirt cheap) and you wont need many new proper filters.

Most you get in B&Q will be P1 or P2 which dont offer the same protection by a long way. Worth it if you value your lungs.

arco.co.uk/products/168600

Thats an Arco link so might take a trip there tomorrow see if they have in store. Thanks…

EddieMD:

Telt:
I used to do Chipliners.

Best of luck.

Yeah no problem. When I first started I was taken aback at how much I didn’t know about it on the first day having been handed the keys.

Feel free to DM me if you’re unsure about anything like how to work the roof sheet or whatever.

Telt:

EddieMD:

Telt:
I used to do Chipliners.

Best of luck.

Yeah no problem. When I first started I was taken aback at how much I didn’t know about it on the first day having been handed the keys.

Feel free to DM me if you’re unsure about anything like how to work the roof sheet or whatever.

I appreciate that mate…thanks

Get yourself a proper mask lad. Never mind the price. You’ve only got one set of lungs and they need to last you a long time.
If you were only working with virgin timber, ie sawmill residues, there’s nothing very nasty about it. However, recycled is a different matter, and it can have small particles of all sorts of bad things from dangerous timber treatment chemicals to flakes of old lead paint etc.
I’ve not done the job myself (still struggling along on flats at 65) but one of my pals had his own outfit on it for many years and it seemed a proper job. B O L.

Old John:
Get yourself a proper mask lad. Never mind the price. You’ve only got one set of lungs and they need to last you a long time.
If you were only working with virgin timber, ie sawmill residues, there’s nothing very nasty about it. However, recycled is a different matter, and it can have small particles of all sorts of bad things from dangerous timber treatment chemicals to flakes of old lead paint etc.
I’ve not done the job myself (still struggling along on flats at 65) but one of my pals had his own outfit on it for many years and it seemed a proper job. B O L.

I got the one above John. You’re so right when it comes to things like that. We hear now about the damage done years ago to our fathers and Uncles from all sorts of stuff but sometimes don’t give it a second thought these days.
I’m still wondering why they wanted me on this knowing I haven’t done it before, not that in shy about a new adventure but not once has anyone mentioned any extra PPE or the likes. Actually wouldn’t be surprised if Agency said I’d been doing it for years …even though I specifically asked if the company knew I hadn’t .

EddieMD:
Actually wouldn’t be surprised if Agency said I’d been doing it for year’s

Naturally and then it’ll be your fault when you get to the client and dont know how anything works.

Even worse it can get you into serious trouble when you don’t know all the safety bits. Think sammy with his HIAB and also when i did Moffets (once).

Bet they don’t supply more than the most basic PPE either if any. As mentioned some if the stuff in recycled wood is horrific esp MDF (now banned in some countries) so keep yourself safe.

trevHCS:

EddieMD:
Actually wouldn’t be surprised if Agency said I’d been doing it for year’s

Naturally and then it’ll be your fault when you get to the client and dont know how anything works.

Even worse it can get you into serious trouble when you don’t know all the safety bits. Think sammy with his HIAB and also when i did Moffets (once).

Bet they don’t supply more than the most basic PPE either if any. As mentioned some if the stuff in recycled wood is horrific esp MDF (now banned in some countries) so keep yourself safe.

I know.
One thing in my favour is I’ve been doing a bit of work for this company recently so I do know them and vice versa so should be ok. As for staying safe rhats No 1 priority all round as far as I’m concerned. I’ll take it as slow as need be and I’m not shy at asking if i dont know.
One more thing…looks like TNUK comes through with some solid and proper help yet again. I thank you all for your time and input.
I hope there’s more to come. [emoji16]

Screwfix also sell respirators and face masks
screwfix.com/c/safety-workw … rators#_=p

peirre:
Screwfix also sell respirators and face masks
screwfix.com/c/safety-workw … rators#_=p

Was there last night and they were gonna have to order one in. Was gonna take a couple days but didn’t want to take the chance with it being weekend

Piece of pish they said, easy, you’ll be fine Eddie… Like a lamb to the slaughter!!! [emoji23][emoji23]

EddieMD:
Piece of pish they said, easy, you’ll be fine Eddie… Like a lamb to the slaughter!!! [emoji23][emoji23]

Did it get any better by the end of the week?

Telt:

EddieMD:

It did mate. I had got it figured out by the end of the week.
Made plenty of mistakes but learned a whole lot from them. To be honest if they’d even spent a little time familiarising me with the trailer so much time woulda been saved and more done.
One place I had to load (Fareham) they gave me a post code for some kinda “fort”, they didn’t have an address. It nearly took me through a weight restriction and camera. When I got to place I had to ask how to open the roof…he wasn’t sure so eventually figured it. Then there was how to close it and “recover” the straps that were by now within the load…was all fun and games… I’d do it again though.
It was very much a case of here’s your keys…have fun.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Lemme guess…

You’re looking for a new job?

:smiley:

yourhavingalarf:
Lemme guess…

You’re looking for a new job?

:smiley:

Was only covering holidays but I thought he was on holiday for 2 weeks…not 1…[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Woulda been a walk in the park next week. [emoji16]

EddieMD:

Telt:

EddieMD:

It did mate. I had got it figured out by the end of the week.
Made plenty of mistakes but learned a whole lot from them. To be honest if they’d even spent a little time familiarising me with the trailer so much time woulda been saved and more done.
One place I had to load (Fareham) they gave me a post code for some kinda “fort”, they didn’t have an address. It nearly took me through a weight restriction and camera. When I got to place I had to ask how to open the roof…he wasn’t sure so eventually figured it. Then there was how to close it and “recover” the straps that were by now within the load…was all fun and games… I’d do it again though.
It was very much a case of here’s your keys…have fun.

I had the exact same carry on with the roof sheet on the first day. The thing about tying the straps together before throwing them over makes perfect sense after you’ve been shown, but like you no one explained it and I also had the straps under the sheet in with the load.

Once you’ve sussed the roof sheet and the process of tipping a bulk load it’s a decent enough gig but, as you say, it would benefit everyone if they’d even take 20 minutes to talk you through the thing before you go.