Curtain siders

Whilst waiting for my license to come back, I’ve been looking and asking for work. One agency would consider putting me with a local company that delivers potatoes with curtain siders. Now curtain siders scare me because of their “squishy” sides so how do you secure potatoes to stop them making a break for freedom when you go round a roundabout?

Proceed with caution would be a good start.

Perhaps they will be in bags, maybe 10-15 bags on a pallet with the pallet wrapped up like a sore thumb, then use internal straps over them. Just a wild, stab in the dark guess. :smiley:

Pictures of Gary Lineker at the Walkers factory should keep them in order!
Or NOT :smiling_imp:

“The curtains’ll keep 'em in”

^^^I learnt that here^^^

Buttocks seem to be the old way :wink:

trampyjoe:
“The curtains’ll keep 'em in”

^^^I learnt that here^^^

This^^^ and drive her like she’s made of glass :arrow_right: that’s how load security was done back in the day :sunglasses:

Ever heard of a tipper?

G6Bob:
Perhaps they will be in bags, maybe 10-15 bags on a pallet with the pallet wrapped up like a sore thumb, then use internal straps over them. Just a wild, stab in the dark guess. :smiley:

40 bags a pallet = 1 ton and if loaded by hand in 7 on a row with 5 on top, they won’t budge, curtains will keep them there.

duplicate

depends on where you will be taking the potatoes, they maybe in timber boxes for which you will use ratchet straps too secure the load, they maybe in ton tote bags now they two ways too secure them, 1 you could use the internal straps of the curtainsider too secure them, 2 you could use ratchet straps but you will damage the potatoes and the ratchets will continually loosen off needing more stops too retightin the load. they maybe in 25kg sacks with 50 bags too a pallet these will bulge the curtain again you can either use ratchet straps or internals too secure

neilg14:

G6Bob:

40 bags a pallet = 1 ton and if loaded by hand in 7 on a row with 5 on top, they won’t budge, curtains will keep them there.

So you want him on his first outing to have to call his boss that he has either killed a pedestrian or has been stopped by DVSA and they have given him a PV9 and he is now flagging down every lorry trying to borrow some straps and they have called in the HSE to investigate him further and oh yeah they are on the way to the yard also so could they please stop all operations as they want to do a thorough spot check.

By all means don’t help the noobies, let them fail and get hauled in front of the TC on their first day…

Radar19:
Whilst waiting for my license to come back, I’ve been looking and asking for work. One agency would consider putting me with a local company that delivers potatoes with curtain siders. Now curtain siders scare me because of their “squishy” sides so how do you secure potatoes to stop them making a break for freedom when you go round a roundabout?

If you are new to curtainsiders the following are a good read to start re load security, it will cover the basics and explain most forms of strapping/securing/containing a load:

hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr662.pdf

ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safe … nes_en.pdf

If you are not sure, plenty here will help you out. Just ignore the ones that will tell you a curtain will keep it in, the curtain is only there to keep it dry unless it is certified as a loadbearing curtain, few in the UK are.

Ratchet straps are a drivers best friend, worth carrying a couple or 3 in your kit bag even though it’s not your…

wheelnutt:

Radar19:

If you are new to curtainsiders the following are a good read to start re load security, it will cover the basics and explain most forms of strapping/securing/containing a load:

hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr662.pdf

ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safe … nes_en.pdf

If you are not sure, plenty here will help you out. Just ignore the ones that will tell you a curtain will keep it in, the curtain is only there to keep it dry unless it is certified as a loadbearing curtain, few in the UK are.

Carried them for more than 20 years, never lost a bag or load, never strapped or roped them, so must have done something right, if they’re stacked right the truck will go over before a bag falls off.

neilg14:
Carried them for more than 20 years, never lost a bag or load, never strapped or roped them, so must have done something right, if they’re stacked right the truck will go over before a bag falls off.

It is guys like you that give our industry such a bad rep. You run illegally, you run the risk of damaging your load and your gaffer losing the contract, you run the risk of hurting or killing an innocent bystander.

Just because you got away with it, does not make it right or legal.

I am glad the DVSA is clamping down hard on this, we need to weed out the stubborn ones that just won’t listen and think the basic Newton’s laws of motion don’t apply to them.

According to the HSE:

3 deaths and 160 major injuries in the ‘freight by road’ industry were caused by objects falling onto people in the 2009/10 work year. 740 more people received injuries severe enough to keep them off work for over three days.

Unsafe loads on vehicles cost UK businesses millions of pounds in damaged goods each year.

Most of us here will do anything to avoid becoming a statistic. I have no patience, nor any respect for any here that just ignore common sense, especially those that say they have been getting away with it for 20 years and will continue to ignore basic load safety.

When it comes down to it, we are not talking regs and rules here, we are talking a bit of common sense to keep others from getting hurt. It takes a few minutes to secure your load, that is a few minutes you wish you had used when due to your negligence and stubbornness you end up hurting or God forbid killing someone.

Securing our loads properly is something we can all easily accomplish, it doesn’t cost anything, just a bit of time. Are some here really that pushed for time that they can’t afford to take a few minutes to secure what they are hauling? Or do some here have zero respect for the life and property of others?

Here’s a tip - If you’re loose loading make sure you park on a downward slope, that way they’ll all roll towards the front while you’re handballing them on, saving you the trouble of ■■■■■■■ each one 45ft, DO NOT be tempted to throw them into the trailer, you’ll bruise them.
When you get to your delivery, park facing uphill, be careful opening the back doors, and have the sacks ready for filling, you’ll need to work quickly but you’ll get that with experience.

You’re welcome. :smiley:

[/quote]
Do Tesco curtainsiders have loadbearing curtains does anybody know?

wheelnutt:

neilg14:

G6Bob:

So you want him on his first outing to have to call his boss that he has either killed a pedestrian or has been stopped by DVSA and they have given him a PV9 and he is now flagging down every lorry trying to borrow some straps and they have called in the HSE to investigate him further and oh yeah they are on the way to the yard also so could they please stop all operations as they want to do a thorough spot check.

By all means don’t help the noobies, let them fail and get hauled in front of the TC on their first day…

Sorry dumb that down a bit for me please. Was only offering up a suggestion, apologies if it was wrong or dangerous, like I said “Just a wild stab in the dark guess”

I don’t think that was directed at you g6bob.