Many thanks to Luke Vernon AKA Switchlogic

After watching some of Lukes cooking vids on YouTube at the weekend it has given me the kick up the arse I needed and I’ve decided to start cooking my own meals after far too long of paying extortionate prices for nearly always crap grub and usually not good for you on the long run.
My cooking exploits in the past go as far as beans on toast and lobbing a pizza in the oven :grimacing: so suffice to say I’m starting of doing easy stuff at the min, well it’s still a bit hard for me! :smiley:
I bought a load of stuff Mon night such as 2 saucepans, 2 frying pans, a grill pan and a wok, utensils, chopping boards, plates etc. This week I’ve done myself chicken stir fry 2 nights and I must say it was very nice and I was pleased with the results ( I didn’t end up with the ■■■■■ anyway :grimacing: )
I’ve got 2 salmon fillets for tonight with a tin of new potatoes and green beans and I’ve bought some curry sauce and rice for next weeks ruby Murry :smiley:
Yes it can be a pain having to wash up after yourself and if you have done a 13-15 hour shift most times you don’t want to spend about an hour preparing, eating your food then washing up but at least you know what’s in your grub.
To the lads on here that Cook for themselves what’s the most exotic or adventurous bit of grub you have knocked up and if you’ve any tips fire them this way, I’ll be happy to listen :smiley:

I used to try washing things up as I was cooking then you only have the plate and fork etc that you eat with to wash up after you have eaten.
Some lads used to think I was mad but then they would wobble back to cab with a bag of KFC for £6 odd and I’d have made me sen some pasta or a curry for about £1.50. :smiley:
Even got a sticker for the back of the cab that said “the bistro” I thought my food was that good :smiley:

Nothing exotic but would often do steak and chips, omelette, sausages and mash.

I have never cooked in a truck. In fact I have never cooked period! I’ll happily admit to being too bone idle to do it, if it’s not cooked for me I’ll happily go without.

Edit to add; I bought a cool box a fortnight ago with the intention of becoming a bit self sufficient like. WRONG! Still no interest, but it does hold an impressive amount of beer.

So if anyone wants to buy 1x pack of Kellogs frosties (unopened), 1x litre semi skimmed milk (unopened but looking slightly thick), 1x spoon (unused) and finally 1x bowl (again, unused) please pm me and we’ll sort the deal out.

why not use throw away plastic cutlery and paper plates?

I have already started plannning my recipes and I’m not even qualified :laughing:
nice things like pasta, halloumi, feta, tuna steak and salmon and pre prep’d food like veg burgers and curry.
I have a dream, like the hairy bikers I could be a hairy trucker.

instantKarma:

Extremely wasteful, do you not think?

:wink:

Saaamon:

instantKarma:

Extremely wasteful, do you not think?

And washing up isnt the biggest hardship

As for Cab cooking, I got a bit lazy just doing stuff out off tins, though years ago I’d fry off chicken or chops do some veg or rice and the like from scratch. sometimes do sausages eggs beans and fried potatoes or bacon eggs beans and some taost :wink:

But for the last year I’ve had a micro wave in the truck, so the Mrs makes extra when she does stuff like spag boll stews and meat and veg, which she freezes for me to take away for the micro wave, so its home cooked and reheated, which is beautiful :wink: this has also inspired me to do more proper cab cooking again aswell :wink: or at least sausages bacon eggs in the fry pan, beans in the micro wave, and a bit off toast. not the most healthiest diet but enjoyable non the less :wink:

The simple course: M&S tinned meat/boil in the bag rice.

You don’t have to go cordon blu to improve over fast food.

Where’s the link to these videos, I like cooking…

Pimpdaddy:

He’s got his own channel on Youtube mate. Got all sorts of vids on it from continental driving to cooking, from tips to putting the world to rights :smiley:

Pimpdaddy:

lukes site lorry-driver.com

I cook at home but never in a truck but I’ve often wondered if a pressure cooker would be any use in a truck. I haven’t used one for years but I used to like it. The advantages are only one pot to clean, very quick to cook food and it’s supposed to be a healthy way to cook.

Luke cooking videos are great, they encouraged me to have a bottle of wine in the cab, can’t beat a nice red wine with the spag bol. :laughing:

As for tips, like Eddie Snax I used to take pre-prepped meals made at the weekends, :smiley: unlike Eddie Snax I had to make them myself as there is no mrs muckles to make them for me. :frowning: :laughing:

although you probably can’t make them in the cab, flapjacks good slow release energy food, and far cheaper than cereal bars for a breakfast on the run, and probably much healthier.

As for washing up, try one pot cooking and eat out of the pot you cooked in, one pot and cutlery to wash up.

The bloke that drives our other truck found Lukes Euro tunnel video very useful before his first go on the train.

muckles:
Luke cooking videos are great, they encouraged me to have a bottle of wine in the cab, can’t beat a nice red wine with the spag bol. :laughing:

As for tips, like Eddie Snax I used to take pre-prepped meals made at the weekends, :smiley: unlike Eddie Snax I had to make them myself as there is no mrs muckles to make them for me. :frowning: :laughing:

although you probably can’t make them in the cab, flapjacks good slow release energy food, and far cheaper than cereal bars for a breakfast on the run, and probably much healthier.

As for washing up, try one pot cooking and eat out of the pot you cooked in, one pot and cutlery to wash up.

The bloke that drives our other truck found Lukes Euro tunnel video very useful before his first go on the train.

It looks tight as ■■■■ to get an artic onto the train! :open_mouth: I bet there is some right pressure to get it right first time without having to shunt as the amount of trucks behind you waiting to get on.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

muckles:

It looks tight as [zb] to get an artic onto the train! :open_mouth: I bet there is some right pressure to get it right first time without having to shunt as the amount of trucks behind you waiting to get on.

Not as tight as it looks tbh as there are certian point where you board drive down a bit sorted no shunting involved

animal:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

muckles:

It looks tight as [zb] to get an artic onto the train! :open_mouth: I bet there is some right pressure to get it right first time without having to shunt as the amount of trucks behind you waiting to get on.

Not as tight as it looks tbh as there are certian point where you board drive down a bit sorted no shunting involved

Agreed, some drivers like to make a big thing of getting the train, but it’s not that bad, just needs a bit of care. The bloke that drives our other truck had only passed his test and had heard the stories. I told him to have a look at the official eurotunnel video and Lukes video, to try and help him but still the the look of relief on his face as he got onto the bus was priceless. :laughing:

I found those vids useful when getting back driving like the couple/uncouple one, top tips etc. A good public ambassador for lorry driving when some lorry vids on tube are of drivers steering with their feet.

Food wise on tramping I was never very adventurous. Used to make this pasta, pesto and tuna thing with toms. Only had a little primus and one pan. Tinned toms can be used for loads. Just add spices out of those little jars along with some veg

I’ve been cooking in the cab for ages , and I find it loads better ! Not only am I saving a few quid , but I know what’s in the meal and its keeps the belly down as I’m not tempted by the apple pie and custard etc. As for washing up after ,just like Mr Vernon wipe out any bowls pots,pans with some of that blue paper towel then they only require a quick swill that hardly takes any time at all.

I like cooking bacon when all the tourists are eating soggy sandwiches. It’s like watching anold bisto kid advert.

Wow, thanks everyone, not been online past couple of days as Ive spent them puking up into a bucket! Ironically from a rare occasion I didn’t cook.

As for paper plates, horrible wasteful. Used them at Glastonbury for convenience and winced everytime I put one in the bin! In fact a pet hate when on ferry is seeing drivers finish their coffee or whatever and go get a new one using a new paper cup! I hate wastefulness.

And the train, well first time I got on that I had been working for about 20 hours (good old HSF), at 5 in the morning on my third day in a LHD lorry, and proceeded to take the diesel tank off! I do think I had a few mitigating circumstances though!

Thanks again, nice to see the videos do what I wanted them to, eating well is easy and being a lorry driver is no excuse not to.

ONWARD