Cheshire Hauliers

I worked for F&E Stocktons from Tarporley we had ERF York 40 footers used to do for UKF SHellstar CRS Silver Roadways Someone mentioned waiting in RHM Cerebos for hours Their artics would leave loaded as we got there and we would still be there when they came back in. CRS lads George Rhodes Parks from Macc . would all have motors in there . Finest examples of sheeting roping and flysheeting all these lads knew the job inside out.Return Loaded Purfleet Deep Wharfe to Abbots tater wharfe Manchester with newsprint Around 1975 time

Hiya …i saw a photo on another site the other day there was a Neild ERF 6 legger… they was pale green . i think did some
fertilizer work… there lorries always looked like they was tippers as they had high sides but i found out later they was all fixed
flats …i think they was from the frodsham area
John

5thwheel:

Blind Bob:
Hi

Anyone remember the band of small Cheshire hailiers who used to operate out of International Paper at Winsford in the 70s and 80s (still going I think. I drove for Eric Dawson of Middlewich for about 10 years, our yard and his house were behind Ken Elsby’s yard next to British salt. Eric ran a small fleet of well turned out wagons mainly ERF and Foden although I started on an AEC Mercury artic, progressing through LV cabbed ERFs to a 240 Gardner powered ERF B series Sadly Eric has passed on but his son Gary still operates an ERF on steel haulage I believe.

The work at IPC was quite varied carrying light but high loads of cardboard packaging all over the country (mainly on flats but later in tautliners) and back loading with anything for the North West. Best loads were reels of kraftliner paper from Sheerness straight back to IPC.

Other firms and owner drivers around the area working from IPC included
JW Owen from Nantwich
Eddie Riley from Kingsley (BettR haulage)
Fred Lathom Middlewich
Noel Bailey (OD)
Brian Brookes (OD)
Peter Walker and his dad (OD)

The work passed to A1 transport in about 1986 and most of these small outfits faded away.

Other firms from around the arwas who we saw regularly included,
Bill Sheeran (Tankers)
Kenny Elsby of course
Hackneys of Sanbach
Michael Baddely still going I think
Gordon Stead of Buxton on the salt (his 8 legger is in preservation I believe)
Allmans of Congleton (still going I still see Clive fairly regularly)
CRS Sanbach long gone
British Salt
Tesco
Kwiksave

Anyone remember those days or the drivers? hello Bobknew a good few CRS lads ran with em on and off I got to know Gordon Stead from buying his lorry off him in 1990 (still got it ) Rgds

Regards Bob

Blind Bob,

Do you remember a haulage company from Church Lane Weaverham,small outfit near the rear of St Mary’s Church?

Rgds,

David

I’ve removed the duplicated posts too. dd. :wink:

stringy:
Boughey Distribution at wardle:

"Boughey Distribution has come a long way since 1960, when it was formed as a milk haulage company.

Acquired by the NWF Group plc in 1972, our record ever since has been one of growth and diversification in the warehousing & distribution supply chain to UK grocers."

Bougheys began a long time before 1960 Les Boughey had two Morris Commercials on milk pickups before the war . They had first bulk milk tanks in the area (Albions artics and rigids) along with a fleet of seddons on tankards mainly in to S Reeces Liverpool and Malpas Meal on the cans back from Liverpool Prior to North Western take over the milk lorries were at Willaston and the feed business was at Nantwich Mill as aBOCM Stockist and haulage contractors ( ERFs on with BISON CONCRETE) My Father myself and our next door neighbour all worked for bougheys as drivers over the years Rgds

stringy:
Boughey Distribution at wardle:

"Boughey Distribution has come a long way since 1960, when it was formed as a milk haulage company.

Acquired by the NWF Group plc in 1972, our record ever since has been one of growth and diversification in the warehousing & distribution supply chain to UK grocers."

Bougheys began a long time before 1960 Les Boughey had two Morris Commercials on milk pickups before the war . They had first bulk milk tanks in the area (Albions artics and rigids) along with a fleet of seddons on tankards mainly in to S Reeces Liverpool and Malpas Meal on the cans back from Liverpool Prior to North Western take over the milk lorries were at Willaston and the feed business was at Nantwich Mill as aBOCM Stockist and haulage contractors ( ERFs on with BISON CONCRETE) My Father myself and our next door neighbour all worked for bougheys as drivers over the years Rgds

Gerard Williams (gone now bless him) had a cream & blue (?) coloured Commer 2 stroke sand tanker/tipper. H reg maybe? He was from Congleton.

the flying foden:

SSPROS1965:
Memory working overtime now :slight_smile:

RH Stevens from Macclesfiled
Whittackers

Also I recall seeing a lovely V8 142 Scania pulling out of ECO WHEEL in Congleton. I don’t know the driver or who owned it but I believe he lived in Macclesfiied.

the lads name who worked for eco wheel was Mick Bostock (not the one who was a subie for carmans another mick bostock) he packed in when his lad was killed in a motor bike accident .really nice lad mick he was good laff as well

just to put you right it was mick whittaker,yes he was a good laff. god rest his soul.

dencolltrucking:

the flying foden:

SSPROS1965:
Memory working overtime now :slight_smile:

RH Stevens from Macclesfiled
Whittackers

Also I recall seeing a lovely V8 142 Scania pulling out of ECO WHEEL in Congleton. I don’t know the driver or who owned it but I believe he lived in Macclesfiied.

the lads name who worked for eco wheel was Mick Bostock (not the one who was a subie for carmans another mick bostock) he packed in when his lad was killed in a motor bike accident .really nice lad mick he was good laff as well

just to put you right it was mick whittaker,yes he was a good laff. god rest his soul.

never was any good with names my friend but he was still a good lad and passed many a boring sunday boat ride away having a laff with him . :wink:

Hiya…a double quote here is direct salt still going■■?. dark blue volvo’s FM’s i think, was always Foden
next question…is Dave woodward still driving for direct or whats he doing nowadays. Thanks
John

HIYA. BT 1477 .I remember going through Tarpoley many years before they bypassed it there used to be a haulage yard on the bend on left hand side ran Bedford tippers and milk churn lorrys i think they were grey .Was it boughey or stocktons . I carried for C R S out of R H M foods should of been blown off the face of the earth had the fork truck driver by the throat . There drop offs were just as bad i was all day loading as usual ,aload for chester on my way home got thair 3 pm told come back in morning ok pulled accross the gate locked her up shouted to stacker driver see 10 ish in the morning .No one could get in or out started walking away the boss came running after me i cant get my car out i said you can in the morning .After a lot of arguing they tipped me foreman said you will wait next time i said no i wont there wont be a next time there never was just a bit of useless info . Yours Barry Waddy

b.waddy:
HIYA. BT 1477 .I remember going through Tarpoley many years before they bypassed it there used to be a haulage yard on the bend on left hand side ran Bedford tippers and milk churn lorrys i think they were grey .Was it boughey or stocktons . I carried for C R S out of R H M foods should of been blown off the face of the earth had the fork truck driver by the throat . There drop offs were just as bad i was all day loading as usual ,aload for chester on my way home got thair 3 pm told come back in morning ok pulled accross the gate locked her up shouted to stacker driver see 10 ish in the morning .No one could get in or out started walking away the boss came running after me i cant get my car out i said you can in the morning .After a lot of arguing they tipped me foreman said you will wait next time i said no i wont there wont be a next time there never was just a bit of useless info . Yours Barry Waddy

Hiya i did that RHM job Middlewich to Nottigham. the consetina door opened 1inch a thermometer come through this small opening for 5 seconds.then this squeeky voice said its to cold come back later…as you all know this was a asap load.
what a shower of s…t there work force was.
John

HI. 3300 JOHN .Know it was on Sealand road Chester . R H M foods were won of the down falls of British industries i had a row on the way bridge before we started .closed shop . JUst lazzy [zb]s i can tell you some tales that place .yours Barry Waddy

b.waddy:
HI. 3300 JOHN .Know it was on Sealand road Chester . R H M foods were won of the down falls of British industries i had a row on the way bridge before we started .closed shop . JUst lazzy [zb]s i can tell you some tales that place .yours Barry Waddy

Now Lads Nurdin &Peacocks Whalebone Lane Chadwell Heath H B T STevenage That outfit just outside Bishops Stortford we had to race to the gate to get tipped before 2 in the afternoon that was at half five in a morning Chalie Arkles Maidstone Happy days Rgds

BT477:

b.waddy:

Now Lads Nurdin &Peacocks Whalebone Lane Chadwell Heath H B T STevenage That outfit just outside Bishops Stortford we had to race to the gate to get tipped before 2 in the afternoon that was at half five in a morning Chalie Arkles Maidstone Happy days Rgds

BT477,

How is this connected to Cheshire Hauliers?

David :open_mouth:

seems like this thread has gone adrift.

GAZ70:
seems like this thread has gone adrift.

Sorry should have been moreclear these were deliveries ex RHM Middlewich where drivers waited for hours to tip Rgds

IT seems like this thread wonts to make its mind up .Asking if any one rembers old hauliers past and present when you reply abount one hapend to be C R S they start moaning .Sounds like they are yougins poss Stobbartts drivers canot rope or sheet barry

b.waddy:
IT seems like this thread wonts to make its mind up .Asking if any one rembers old hauliers past and present when you reply abount one hapend to be C R S they start moaning .Sounds like they are yougins poss Stobbartts drivers canot rope or sheet barry

Thats my boy Bazzer ! Give 'em some wellie,only thing they understand mate !! Cheers Mr. Bewick.

what ever thread is causing mither you can bet on the ■■■■■■■■ mafia lurching in the back ground :wink:

GAZ70:
what ever thread is causing mither you can bet on the ■■■■■■■■ mafia lurching in the back ground :wink:

Is that the smell of bull ■■■■? oh’ no it’s only Gaz sticking his “two penarth” in !!! :laughing: :unamused: