Changing a wheel

AndrewG:
Andejs has it here. Using an impact gun for final tightening is a no no, the nuts will never be torqued correctly with a gun or a 1m long bar but with the latter with 15 stone standing on the bar ive never had a wheel come off, not one that ive changed anyway…

This smalll tool kit do all perfectly.Just feedback from drivers who change wheels often.Must very carefully turn on nuts.If turn so much that some drivers easy cut off nuts.This kit work very nice by simply stile like hand drill stile or like car gearbox.Wnen you take 1 th gear that you car go easy to nay mount.

You can buy this kit for 60 quid and try how this work ebay.co.uk/i/252267710342?c … 527&crdt=0

A few observations…

-That bottle jack looks tiny - is it really rated to support that weight?
-The suspicious looking puddle and run off looks unfortunately to me like a good bladder voiding
-The coach has a few battle scars doesn’t it?
-Where are the signet rings, Farah trousers and white socks for the drivers? :laughing: :laughing: I see the obligatory ties are out and look the part. :laughing:

bazza123:
A couple of observations… :laughing:

-The suspicious looking puddle and run off looks unfortunately to me like a good bladder voiding
-Where are the Farah trousers and white socks for the drivers? :laughing: :laughing:

Bottle jacks always never look man enough for the job, mines rated to 20t yet isnt even 6’’ in diameter,has always done the job though

Those saying they wouldnt change a wheel because its not part of the job need to think again, its always [/u been part of the job. Even employed on hourly rate if you can do something to save both yourself and your company time why not just do it? Its an easy job and a learning experience for anyone not having changed a truck wheel. Ive not employed many drivers over the years but those i have taken on its always been a must to help out wherever possible and that included changing a wheel…

AndrewG:
Bottle jacks always never look man enough for the job, mines rated to 20t yet isnt even 6’’ in diameter,has always done the job though

Those saying they wouldnt change a wheel because its not part of the job need to think again, its always [/u been part of the job. Even employed on hourly rate if you can do something to save both yourself and your company time why not just do it? Its an easy job and a learning experience for anyone not having changed a truck wheel. Ive not employed many drivers over the years but those i have taken on its always been a must to help out wherever possible and that included changing a wheel…
[/quote]
It must be 20 years since I’ve even driven a truck which had a spare wheel, jack or wheelbrace.

Harry Monk:

AndrewG:

[/quote]
It must be 20 years since I’ve even driven a truck which had a spare wheel, jack or wheelbrace.
[/quote]
Company i sub for provides every driver whether employed or O/D a 20t bottle jack , H/D air gun spec socket and extendable breaker bar and all trailers have a spare wheel. Ran out of options a few months back though when i had two trailer tyres blow out, one outbound, one return… :wink:

truckyboy:
…always carried a small piece of scaffold pole, a pair of gloves and a pair coverals…two jacks were needed if the nuts were tight, and need to rest the wheel brace on the elbow of the brace, and a spray of wd 40 also helped…

Same as Truckyboy but I also used to carry a couple of cut down, short lengths of scaffold board. Trying to jack up “X” amount of axle weight on a soft surface just wasn’t going to happen.

Worst wheel change I ever had to do was on a low loader with small(ish) wheels and a 3 metre wide load so couldn’t get a lot of weight on the bar so kept stopping every few miles to check it were still there and tighten up the nuts the best I could …

Changed a few in my time but would never change one on a hard shoulder and nowadays will only do it if they give you a bonus for doing so. Virginia used to give you €80 I think, dunno if they still do

switchlogic:
Changed a few in my time but would never change one on a hard shoulder and nowadays will only do it if they give you a bonus for doing so. Virginia used to give you €80 I think, dunno if they still do

Co. i sub for pays 60eur, ok for half hrs work. That does include taking the trailer down the road from our yard on return to get a new tyre on the spare rim again…

it used to be routine to carry a spare for most general haulage companies. I had to change a few, most memorable was on the way to Cambridge, blew out in Bedford town centre. Changed it in some small industrial estate. helpful fork lift driver put it on top of load. Strapped it up and got to brick co, where I was to tip load. Threw the wheel into long grass alongside road, and unsheeted. Went in tipped, and was away. Apparently boss came roaring down the lane in his Merc, went in long grass because of queuing trucks and knocked his front spoiler off because he hit the wheel. :unamused:

switchlogic:

Does Mr white pay you to change a wheel, or is it call a tyre fitter?

bazza123:
A few observations…

-Where are the signet rings, Farah trousers and white socks for the drivers? :laughing: :laughing: I see the obligatory ties are out and look the part. :laughing:

Did you say you wanted Farrah trousers and white socks? Here you go then.One from my photo archives. Sorry, the white socks are just out of view but are definitely there.

And this was the fashionable driver beachwear, worn at the time.

switchlogic:

Quite frankly I wouldn’t want to do it for eighty euros or anything like that figure. Not really something to entice you to volunteer to do surely.

UKtramp:

switchlogic:

Quite frankly I wouldn’t want to do it for eighty euros or anything like that figure. Not really something to entice you to volunteer to do surely.

Well some of us can see the logic of gaining €80 for something as simple as changing a wheel. It really isn’t as hard as some of you ladies make out

Here you go. I knew I had Farrahs and white socks somewhere.

switchlogic:

UKtramp:

switchlogic:

Well some of us can see the logic of gaining €80 for something as simple as changing a wheel. It really isn’t as hard as some of you ladies make out

May be simple to you but for a lady such as me I would rather not. I have never changed a truck wheel in my life however simple undoing a few nuts is and I hope to god am never put in a position where I would be expected to either.

switchlogic:

UKtramp:

switchlogic:

^THIS

Being paid to do a small job like that and saving possibly hours sitting around waiting for someone to do it for you really is a no brainer…

switchlogic:

UKtramp:

switchlogic:

100 quid at my place, as has been said it’s not bad for less than an hours work.

I work for a firm where we all crack on and work together, an attitude quite a lot on here could learn from.

Can you imagine some of the wimps on here who drive home in tears when they don’t want to do something, having to change a tyre up a mountain in Spain because the only other option is wait the entire night for a fitter. :laughing:

A.