Changing a wheel

Adonis.:
100 quid at my place, as has been said it’s not bad for less than an hours work.

I work for a firm where we all crack on and work together, an attitude quite a lot on here could learn from.

Can you imagine some of the wimps on here who drive home in tears when they don’t want to do something, having to change a tyre up a mountain in Spain because the only other option is wait the entire night for a fitter. :laughing:

A.

Fantastic mate, great to hear that your working as a team when you break down at the roadside on your own and you are helping out each other by fixing your own wheel and getting £100 for this. Nothing like being a wimp by not changing a wheel and especially if you don’t carry one like I don’t. Even if I did carry one, I do not consider my not wanting to change it as being a wimp or not being a team player. You need to carry the correct tools to do it as well, also if you injure yourself changing the wheel would you get paid for being off on the sick? Other factors to consider is that the wheel nuts need to be torqued to the correct tightness so unless you have a calibrated torque wrench how can you follow a manufacturers recommendation for safety. Yes it is a simple procedure to replace a wheel given a certain criteria but if that criteria cannot be met then it isn’t about being a wimp or a team player. It is about being sensible.

UKtramp:

Adonis.:
100 quid at my place, as has been said it’s not bad for less than an hours work.

I work for a firm where we all crack on and work together, an attitude quite a lot on here could learn from.

Can you imagine some of the wimps on here who drive home in tears when they don’t want to do something, having to change a tyre up a mountain in Spain because the only other option is wait the entire night for a fitter. :laughing:

A.

Fantastic mate, great to hear that your working as a team when you break down at the roadside on your own and you are helping out each other by fixing your own wheel and getting £100 for this. Nothing like being a wimp by not changing a wheel and especially if you don’t carry one like I don’t. Even if I did carry one, I do not consider my not wanting to change it as being a wimp or not being a team player. You need to carry the correct tools to do it as well, also if you injure yourself changing the wheel would you get paid for being off on the sick? Other factors to consider is that the wheel nuts need to be torqued to the correct tightness so unless you have a calibrated torque wrench how can you follow a manufacturers recommendation for safety. Yes it is a simple procedure to replace a wheel given a certain criteria but if that criteria cannot be met then it isn’t about being a wimp or a team player. It is about being sensible.

You don’t do Europe and don’t carry a spare wheel, so the conversation doesn’t really involve you, does it? :unamused:

I carry all the correct tools, when you have a good boss things like that are taken care of. Yes, I get full pay if I’m hurt at work, again, perks of having a good boss.

For tightness I find that FT does the job just fine. :laughing:

For clarification I wasn’t calling someone who won’t change a wheel a wimp, I was calling those licence holders who pretend to be drivers who start crying and driving lorries back to yards because they don’t like having to do their job, wimps

A.

before I left the uk ,all the spares ,even on the transits ,company cars,etc were all taken away as we were not trained to change a tyre :open_mouth: :open_mouth: roll on 3yrs I worked for a company that you changed tyres plugged holes patched .(if they were knacked you had to put new tyre on rim),I had air hose ,brace etc ,no gun though in truck. changed all the filters/oil changes ,adjust brakes (I had the endorsement on my licence for brakes) right old school… job was a good one with wage/terms other wise I wouldn’t have done it.BUT if given half a chance I stopped at a tire shop and let them do it as jacking up a loaded trailer is a real pain and changing a soft inner/ bulged tire after it has heated up is not a job I wanted.

UKtramp:
You need to carry the correct tools to do it as well, also if you injure yourself changing the wheel would you get paid for being off on the sick? Other factors to consider is that the wheel nuts need to be torqued to the correct tightness so unless you have a calibrated torque wrench how can you follow a manufacturers recommendation for safety./quote]

A bottle jack,socket and breaker bar is all thats needed. Not sure how youre going to injure yourself :confused: As for torque values, in the absence of a torque wrench, standing on a 1+M bar will stop any wheel nuts making a break for it…

When ever I…

Changed wheels, I always tightened them up in opposites. 12 to 6, 9 to 3 etc.

The tyre fitter I spoke to said then even loading of the nuts was just as important as the torque load itself.

The other NEVER forget is, to check them again 50 clicks or so further down the road.

All the ones I’ve changed never moved.

I thought it’s Spanish road law that you have to carry a spare?

yourhavingalarf:
When ever I…

Changed wheels, I always tightened them up in opposites. 12 to 6, 9 to 3 etc.

^
Good advice and how it should be done.
Another thing i always do is clean the contact surfaces between drum/hub and rear of the wheel to make sure theres no dirt/ rust/ corrosion which is another reason wheels come loose…

tommy t:

switchlogic:
Changed a few in my time but would never change one on a hard shoulder and nowadays will only do it if they give you a bonus for doing so. Virginia used to give you €80 I think, dunno if they still do

Does Mr white pay you to change a wheel, or is it call a tyre fitter?

Not had a flat yet and not something we’ve discussed yet

I’ve got 315s ,295s and 385s so iam carrying a 315 in the hope it will get me out of trouble :unamused: or in to :blush:

Punchy Dan:
I’ve got 315s ,295s and 385s so iam carrying a 315 in the hope it will get me out of trouble :unamused: or in to :blush:

A 315 is the best bet, depends on the profile of the tyres you have on though.

Saw a foreigner changing one in a lay by at Kirkby Thore A66 yesterday.
Wife was with me in car, and even she said ‘’ I didn’t know drivers still changed their own wheels’’ she reminded me it was a common sight when she used to come with me years ago.
(She also reminded me that I made her help me one day to change a one. :blush: . :smiley:

Hmm, still not sure I’d have the guts to change a wheel, especially on a coach with all the passengers watching, expecting you to get it right.

Just to change the subject slightly. I once worked for an Irish gaffer who received a phone call from one of his drivers. The coach was south of Paris and had suffered some sort of terminal engine failure. When the gaffer heard how much it would cost to recover his vehicle back to Ireland, he jumped into a Transit tipper he owned and drove around all the HGV scrapyards in the Cork area to find a replacement engine. He found one and drove it out to France himself to help fit it. Apparently, it was tons cheaper than the recovery cost, and the coach did about 200K on that replacement scrap engine before it was eventually sold. Very resourceful the Irish !

Ask some “he” man trucker to change a wheel?
Jesus are you taking the proverbial?

Like asking a man to do a real job.
Been in this job for 50 years and never have I seen such a bunch of asrse wipes as I see today “driving” a truck.
They should be ashamed of themselves

Bking:

Been in this job for 50 years and never have I seen such a bunch of asrse wipes as I see today “driving” a truck.

There are also a few fitters that are a bit bogpaperesque as well mate, …(and one or two smartarsed gobby know it all ones also I’ve noticed tbh :bulb: )

robroy:

Bking:

There are also a few fitters that are a bit bogpaperesque as well mate, …(and one or two smartarsed gobby know it all ones also I’ve noticed tbh :bulb: )

Good man tell us a few stories as of when you were young and all your experience first hand
Most driver’s of today would not get past first Base you were jack of all that was required then and most of the time it was brilliant and some of the time it was ■■■■
Most places now you are not allowed H&S and thats a shame for the younger drivers

Bking:

She’s off again. Sweaty betty king. :laughing:

Hi Citycat, I went for an interview in London for a job back in the early 70’s with a firm called NAT Eurotours. They were an outfit that ran holidays in Europe using campsites. They were looking for drivers and couriers, but before you started you were expected to do 2 weeks “training”. This consisted of a week in Amsterdam at a Merc dealers who would show you how to carry out roadside repairs on the coach if you broke down. The coach would carry a stock of essential spare parts in one of the lockers. Changing tyres was also expected to be done by the driver. The second week you went round most of the capital cites of Europe to “route learn”. They expected you to pay for this “training”. You were also expected to help with the erection and taking down of the tents at the campsite. Needless to say I did not take them up on their generous job offer, especially when I heard that the wages were £55 per week, paid in cash in Calais (no deductions, when I asked how this could be squared with the taxman I was told that I should tell them that I had been “bumming around Europe for 6 months”, it was only a seasonal job!) The incentive was that if you worked hard during the summer they “may keep you on for their winter sports program”. Amazingly there were people there who couldn’t wait to start for them!

kickstart:
Hi Citycat, I went for an interview in London for a job back in the early 70’s with a firm called NAT Eurotours. They were an outfit that ran holidays in Europe using campsites. They were looking for drivers and couriers, but before you started you were expected to do 2 weeks “training”. This consisted of a week in Amsterdam at a Merc dealers who would show you how to carry out roadside repairs on the coach if you broke down. The coach would carry a stock of essential spare parts in one of the lockers. Changing tyres was also expected to be done by the driver. The second week you went round most of the capital cites of Europe to “route learn”. They expected you to pay for this “training”. You were also expected to help with the erection and taking down of the tents at the campsite. Needless to say I did not take them up on their generous job offer, especially when I heard that the wages were £55 per week, paid in cash in Calais (no deductions, when I asked how this could be squared with the taxman I was told that I should tell them that I had been “bumming around Europe for 6 months”, it was only a seasonal job!) The incentive was that if you worked hard during the summer they “may keep you on for their winter sports program”. Amazingly there were people there who couldn’t wait to start for them!

That’s a coincidence. I worked for NAT Holidays in the mid eighties as a courier for two seasons. NAT put me through my PSV test and I was driving their Neoplan Skyliners for a short while. They were based in Leeds but had started out in Park Royal, London. We had to do a four week training trip round Europe when I was there. I wonder if it was the same company?

I have to say being a holiday courier was the best two years of my life. :smiley:

citycat:
I have to say being a holiday courier was the best two years of my life. :smiley:

…and im betting plenty of single divorced woman all gagging for it… :grimacing:

AndrewG:

citycat:

…and im betting plenty of single divorced woman all gagging for it… :grimacing:

There were two women where the bleedin’ husband was laid beside the pool and they were chasing after me. There was something about the sun and Lloret de Mar that sent them mad. Oh, to be back in my twenties again :wink:

Over 40 years ago, some m/e trips could be done with not a single tyre failure.
Other trips, despite carrying several spares, if fully freighted and in the summer, could be a bummer with one tyre failure after another.
When it was over 500 miles to the nearest 'phone and you had to survive, no choice!
On several occasions I’ve had to park up in the desert for a day and repair enough tyres to complete the job and get home again.