changing wheel

when was the last time you changed one used to be part of the drivers duty

Done quite a few in my time, last one was in 1991 on M4 at Port Talbot in torrential rain.

Always seemed to be the offside ones that needed changing.

When was the last time you drove a truck that carried a spare wheel?

It’s called a mobile phone old chap, marvellous invention… must try harder with the Trolling sweetie :unamused:

That’s made us all think, probably on the landfill contract i was on at the time between 79/83, did it for around two years, changed dozens, used to keep a few ready made up spare wheels of our own on the site.

Roadside, i can’t remember the last time.

Since late 80’s been on big companies, so no wheels or equipment to change them with.

Saw a euro trucker attempting to change one on his trailer on the m5 the other day… He didn’t look impressed with the 2 foot breaker bar he was trying to undo the nuts with!

I had to change the inner rear on our little van a while ago whilst out at a customers. Got both wheels off with much struggle due to the monkeys at the tyre depot doing them up to superhuman torque, got the spare wheel on along with the 2nd wheel, tightened and stood up to put the tools away, when I could still hear air leaking out from somewhere. Checked around and my ear led me to the other side, where the inner wheel on that side was peeing out air as well! Not a fun day.

Me too, probably changed about a dozen back in the day, but I’m too old for all that malarkey now.

F-reds:

It’s called a mobile phone old chap, marvellous invention… must try harder with the Trolling sweetie :unamused:

the truck I’ve been driving the last few weeks has one.

changed an inner rear on the unit a month ago back in my yard…

Radar19:

F-reds:

Question is, would you do it or would you phone in :wink:

Kaistar:

Radar19:

F-reds:

Well, given the fact they clear off at 16:30 and there is no call out number in the cab I guess I’ll have to do it myself.

Radar19:

Kaistar:

Radar19:

F-reds:

Well, given the fact they clear off at 16:30 and there is no call out number in the cab I guess I’ll have to do it myself.

A: Are the rest of the tools needed with you ?
B: Ever done it before ?
C: You’re agency aren’t you ? What kind of agency just expects you to do this ?

2006 or 7. Tri axle trailer, middle axle, off side inner :unamused: had to be didn’t it. Spider wheel rim. You have to be a bit careful getting them off cos as you loosen the nuts, the little wedges tend to stick, so if you ain’t got yer wits about you, you’re liable to get shot when it lets go. So loosen nuts, whack it around with big hammer til the wedges are loose and then you’re right. Even then the inner ■■■■■■■ didn’t want to come off, so was there for about an hour, and when I finally got to the rdc I was delivering to, the ■■■■■ wouldn’t unload me :imp:

Split rim 1990/ 91 ish! :sunglasses: pain in the arris :laughing: our tilts used to have TWO spares too :grimacing:

I was reading this thread last night while waiting for this to be changed

I wouldn’t even change one on my CAR nowadays. That’s what I pay recovery for.

If you have not been trained in wheel changing then you should not do it yourself.H and S and all that.

Not even allowed to change a lightbulb these days at many places.

One problem is that it’s almost impossible to get many trailer wheels off without a sledgehammer, during routine tyre changes the tyre is replaced without removing the wheel and as a result it normally rusts on to the rim. I’ve got memories of loosely replacing two wheelnuts and then driving round and round some factory yard in a tight circle until the wheel breaks away from the rim, not really something you can do if you have a puncture on the motorway.

alamcculloch:
If you have not been trained in wheel changing then you should not do it yourself.H and S and all that.

what if you got a puncture on your car? should you not change that unless you’ve had training?
its changing a bloody wheel ffs not brain surgery

Had a blowout on first axel on the trailer 3 weeks ago. Liftaxel so it went fast. 35 minutes to be back on the road again. Could sit and wait but just the drive for the service guys would been over an hour.