Wheel fallen off?

Hay all, Was just woundering how many people have losta wheel while driving ? if so how did it happen, what happned to the steering ? whats the best thing to do ? dose it go on much anymore ? thanks all

Went over a speed hump and lost one once. Thankfully it was only the spare wheel on my 205 gti and not a truck wheel :sunglasses:

Had one come of the drive axle on the passenger side of an artic on the motorway just outside of Rouen so that would make it the offside over there, the hard shoulder is not as wide as a truck and the load I had on was 3 mtr wide so half was in a live lane with very heavy traffic so would be fair to say I was bricking it !! How it all came about was that the truck started to wobble so I started to slow down when the wheel came off and proceeded to roll down the road and I was dreading it was going to go into the road but the Gods were on my side as it rolled onto the hard shoulder and stopped leaning on the crash barrier, after stopping I quickly retrieved it and put it near where it should have been. Short while after one of those motors with the big flashing arrows came and parked about 5/6 hundred metres behind me so felt a lot happier. No one told me that the fitters had changed the hub while I was off, I had checked the wheels when I returned to the yard beforehand so I never had to do it before setting off again. Needed another new hub and wheels when I got back though but the old ones got me to Spain and back to Norfolk. Another one off our trucks called into the Daf place in Rouen and brought me ten new wheelstuds, lucky someone was near to the place so only about 3 hour delay.

Not happend to me but a bit of advice check your nuts

Mine was due to the wheel bearing going and the hub collapsed. Had some smoke and hot metal fall off but the wheel just stayed on long enough for me to stop. Had some mad camber on the go. I ended up leaving to trailer for 3 days where it was whilst a mobile fitter put another 2nd hand axle on. I then went back for it and delivered the load of scrap that was on it - 25 tons worth and knowone stole it.

This was only a month or so ago. I have a new trailer now and the other trailer got relegated to being a spare.

Used to be a fairly regular occourance years ago, “Lost wheel syndrome” was the name for it. I went out to several of our trucks on Motorways with missing drive axle wheels and never found the ‘lost’ ones as the vehicle had usually travelled a good distance before the driver noticed. Chain the axle up and carry on if possible, or fit a replacement hub at the roadside if we had one.

Pete.

I’ve seen a DD roll into my old yard with the middle trailer wheel and hub missing…
The driver apparently didn’t even realise! :laughing:

We had a DD dropped off at our yard with a “wobbly wheel” drivers defect statement.

Well he wasn’t wrong, can’t believe he had done his trailer checks properly that morning myself, much longer and it would have probably been a goner.

OVLOV JAY:
Went over a speed hump and lost one once. Thankfully it was only the spare wheel on my 205 gti and not a truck wheel :sunglasses:

Typical Essex boy… :grimacing:

I remember hearing of an incident a few year ago where a truck wheel came off at Bury St Edmunds and struck a car killing the male driver.

raymundo:
I remember hearing of an incident a few year ago where a truck wheel came off at Bury St Edmunds and struck a car killing the male driver.

This one I suspect: archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … d-death-f1

Yes thanks, that was the one.

A couple with wheels away.
Lucky driver right outside a pub and a cafe across the road.

This is on the Portway Bristol. A van driver was killed near here when a lorry wheel went horizontal through his windscreen.

el_presidente:

OVLOV JAY:

Typical Essex boy… :grimacing:

Yep, should have been in the boot like my xr3i’s was :laughing:

What size is it? It could be one of mine.

Numbum:
A couple with wheels away.

This is on the Portway Bristol. A van driver was killed near here when a lorry wheel went horizontal through his windscreen.

Complete hub assembly adrift on that Foden, I had the same thing almost happen to me when the hub nut came off. Luckily I was locking the garage up at night and my torch shone on some oil behind the first drive axle, thinking that the hub oil seal was leaking I looked underneath and could see the brake linings clearly! :open_mouth: The hub had moved almost 6", could have made a mess the next morning travelling to the quarry.

Pete.

Happened to me in a rigid in Germany about 20 years ago, noticed a juddering like a puncture, it was one of the back wheels just hanging on by 1 stud.
Apparently it was caused by the wheelnuts being too tight, stretched the studs which eventually snapped, putting extra pressure on the remaining studs.

always check your nuts, cos if you don’t then the obvious is bound to happen n bits are gona def fall off, so ensure they are tight in before proceeding

remember seeing that foden around as a kid, glanrhyd transport i think

on a remotely related topic then this gives me no end of amusement…it gets better as it plays.

youtube.com/watch?v=f62Z8Ev9OXA