Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide)

Just been told (by my yard source :grimacing: ) that theres a tilt being loaded with 30 1 ton bulk bags in 25kg individual bags of Caustic Soda food grade flakes in the yard bound for Calais next week and heard its got my name on it!
Now, i cant find the ltd quantities amount for non ADR. Ive been down this road before with 30,000 litres of orange oil and dont want a repeat.
Any info appreciated, maybe one for Diesel Dave?

AndrewG:
Just been told (by my yard source :grimacing: ) that theres a tilt being loaded with 30 1 ton bulk bags in 25kg individual bags of Caustic Soda food grade flakes in the yard bound for Calais next week and heard its got my name on it!
Now, i cant find the ltd quantities amount for non ADR. Ive been down this road before with 30,000 litres of orange oil and dont want a repeat.
Any info appreciated, maybe one for Diesel Dave?

Canā€™t you use Friday rules where anything goes?

Sorry canā€™t help on it as I know nuthin about ADR loads.

Youā€™ll be fine son, just crack on.

Harry Monk:
Youā€™ll be fine son, just crack on.

Thats reassureing to know, ill do just that thenā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

simcor:

Problem is sometimes is that the co. i sub for has the ā€˜anything goesā€™ moto seven days of the weekā€¦

AndrewG:

simcor:

Problem is sometimes is that the co. i sub for has the ā€˜anything goesā€™ moto seven days of the weekā€¦

There you go thereā€™s your answer then. If you get stopped say the boss said it was OK.

hse.gov.uk/cdg/manual/exemptions.htm

1. Solid caustic soda drain cleaner (UN 1823) has a maximum inner receptacle size of 1 kg. Again the maximum gross overall package is 30 kg.

qwakers:
Carriage of Dangerous Goods Manual - Main Exemptions

1. Solid caustic soda drain cleaner (UN 1823) has a maximum inner receptacle size of 1 kg. Again the maximum gross overall package is 30 kg.

Thanks Quakers. Overall package size 30kg. These are 25kg bags only theres going to be 1200 of them ie 40x25kg bags in a 1 tonne bulk bag. Apparently these are the agg bags we use for polished stone ectā€¦

Nothing in my Dangerous Good Handbook and I cannot find anything definitive on-line either. Iā€™m going to suggest that because itā€™s packed in 25kg bags inside the totes it will be exempt; but Iā€™d rather wait for Daveā€™s verdict to be certain.

Iā€™ll be interested in the result because itā€™s the sort of stuff I may well be carrying in the future, itā€™s used a lot in animal feeds. Yes I know itā€™s nasty stuff to use to clear drains, but apparently it converts when mixed with moist wheat to sodium bicarbonate like the missus has in the kitchen cupboard.

Sidevalve:
Nothing in my Dangerous Good Handbook and I cannot find anything definitive on-line either. Iā€™m going to suggest that because itā€™s packed in 25kg bags inside the totes it will be exempt; but Iā€™d rather wait for Daveā€™s verdict to be certain.

Iā€™ll be interested in the result because itā€™s the sort of stuff I may well be carrying in the future, itā€™s used a lot in animal feeds. Yes I know itā€™s nasty stuff to use to clear drains, but apparently it converts when mixed with moist wheat to sodium bicarbonate like the missus has in the kitchen cupboard.

This is the way im now reading it Sidevalve.Its used for a lot of purposes like drain cleaning/ patio/brick cleaning and in the food industry. Im assuming re the food industry its for disinfecting/ cleaning pipework ect which apparently this stuff is labelled for.
I had this kind of issue fully freighted with orange oil a while back and need a definitive answer thoughā€¦

If your company does handle ADR theyā€™re supposed to have either a fully trained person, or access to one, whoā€™s properly qualified over and above driver standard in order to do audits etc. Itā€™s considered good practice for the driver or TM to have that personā€™s contact details to hand 24/7 in case of an incident. To my annoyance I cannot for the life of me recall the proper title for said person; itā€™s way up and above the ā€œresponsible personā€ in the company whoā€™s only required to do an awareness course.

If your company is being a bit lax, then I suggest that you insist that you have this contact before you take the load on, otherwise you will of course just have to call DVSA to get guidance. That should spur them into action. :wink:

Why canā€™t you access this information at your end?

Sidevalve:
If your company does handle ADR theyā€™re supposed to have either a fully trained person, or access to one, whoā€™s properly qualified over and above driver standard in order to do audits etc. Itā€™s considered good practice for the driver or TM to have that personā€™s contact details to hand 24/7 in case of an incident. To my annoyance I cannot for the life of me recall the proper title for said person; itā€™s way up and above the ā€œresponsible personā€ in the company whoā€™s only required to do an awareness course.

If your company is being a bit lax, then I suggest that you insist that you have this contact before you take the load on, otherwise you will of course just have to call DVSA to get guidance. That should spur them into action. :wink:

DGSA or Danderous Goods Safety Adviser is what you have in mind I think.

Spain is in fact full of them as Spanish rules uniquely require that each petrol station also has a DGSA is what I heard.

Hurryup&wait:

Sidevalve:

DGSA or Danderous Goods Safety Adviser is what you have in mind I think.

Spain is in fact full of them as Spanish rules uniquely require that each petrol station also has a DGSA is what I heard.

Thanks Hurry, thatā€™s it. So many bloody acronyms in this trade these days, getting worse than the bloody Army!

Sidevalve:
Thanks Hurry, thatā€™s it. So many bloody acronyms in this trade these days, getting worse than the bloody Army!

Isnā€™t that the truth and made worse by those who donā€™t like theirs any more and decide to have a new one such as DVSA etc.

If its used in animal feeds.( not forgetting we eat animals too ) i would have no hesitation in taking it ā€¦so crack onā€¦its not hazardous. but you would find out when you collect the paperwork and see the trem cardsā€¦ha ha good luck.

un code 1823 adr google it as i cant seem to post a link

truckyboy:
If its used in animal feeds.( not forgetting we eat animals too ) i would have no hesitation in taking it ā€¦so crack onā€¦its not hazardous. but you would find out when you collect the paperwork and see the trem cardsā€¦ha ha good luck.

That is not a given mate. Some of the ingredients used in animal (and human) foods do come under ADR; these guys (formerly known to us as Frank Wright of Ashbourne) deliver into us.

By the way TREM cards arenā€™t normally issued nowadays, itā€™s called ā€œInstructions in Writingā€ which is a different document.

Sidevalve:

truckyboy:

That is not a given mate. Some of the ingredients used in animal (and human) foods do come under ADR; these guys (formerly known to us as Frank Wright of Ashbourne) deliver into us.

By the way TREM cards arenā€™t normally issued nowadays, itā€™s called ā€œInstructions in Writingā€ which is a different document.

True. Used to do food tanks for a while.
UN 1170 Kemler 336
Very flammable and toxic.

Tasted ok diluted with a very generous dose of coca cola mind.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I thought I read that sodium hydroxide comes under ADR at any amount Iā€™m sure rog will put me wrong tho