A quick ADR question

Evening all,

I followed a lorry up the A1 yesterday - he had a small tank inside a 20’ frame. The tank capacity was a smidge under 6800 litres, but the gross weight was 25000 kg - it was covered in ADR labels - corrosive, irritant, toxic, etc, and had 886 over 1744 on the tank itself, and 2XE over 1744 on the frame. Can anybody fill me in what it was - it’s obviously something quite dense and nasty!

Thanks

Gary

hpa.nhs.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/H … 6260026664 not nice stuff in that tank then

Thanks for the speedy response - definitely not nice! 3 times as dense as water, explains the little tank.

Gary

Also the tank will be made of very thick material which would make it incredibly heavy even when empty. To prevent ruptures I may add.

the maoster:
Also the tank will be made of very thick material which would make it incredibly heavy even when empty. To prevent ruptures I may add.

the inside of the tank will probably have either a rubber or plastic coating of some kind inside it i would think

scotstrucker:

the maoster:

the inside of the tank will probably have either a rubber or plastic coating of some kind inside it i would think

Absolutely correct, the tank most probably be lined with a non reactive coating, we used to pull glass lined acid tankers (gotta be careful when dropping the dipstick down the hole :blush: ).

The reason I said about the tank construction was when I used to pull Anhydrous Ammonia the tanks were that Armoured that we used to tare off way in excess of 22 tonne.

6800 litres at 3kg/l - about 20400 kg of Bromine, so 4.5 tons worth of tank & frame - gonna be pretty thick!

scaniason:
Evening all,

I followed a lorry up the A1 yesterday - he had a small tank inside a 20’ frame. The tank capacity was a smidge under 6800 litres, but the gross weight was 25000 kg - it was covered in ADR labels - corrosive, irritant, toxic, etc, and had 886 over 1744 on the tank itself, and 2XE over 1744 on the frame. Can anybody fill me in what it was - it’s obviously something quite dense and nasty!

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

The other posters have beaten me to your question, and got it correct.

The ‘stuff’ is: UN 1744 BROMINE or BROMINE SOLUTION, 8 (6.1), PGI

Primary danger = corrosive
Secondary danger = toxic
PGI = High danger.

The ‘886’ mans that it is highly corrosive, plus toxic and is the marking system used for international road journeys.

‘1744’ is the worldwide number used to indicate what’s being carried = BROMINE or BROMINE SOLUTION

The ‘2XE’ is emergency info for the fire-brigade relevant to UN 1744 when carried on a UK journey and means:

The ‘2’ = use a fine water spray
The ‘X’ = wear a BA set and chemical suit, don’t let it go down the grids and it doesn’t react badly with water.
The ‘E’ = in an incident involving UN 1744, the fire-brigade should consider evacuation due to the public safety hazard.

UN 1744 is not recommended as a sandwich filling cos it doesn’t taste very nice. :wink:

Don’t get it mixed up with the stuff you put in your mug of tea either. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Army did not put Bromine in Tetleys :stuck_out_tongue:

the stronger the tank and frame , the more labels stuck to it and the more orange labels on it = the further you need to stay away from it - simples :smiley: :smiley: :exclamation:

beefy4605:
the stronger the tank and frame , the more labels stuck to it and the more orange labels on it = the further you need to stay away from it - simples :smiley: :smiley: :exclamation:

A foolproof method, and one I’ve applied to many women over the years.

beefy4605:

It did occur to me at the time that if I could read the labelling, I probably needed to be a lot further away - like 10-20 miles further away :slight_smile:

Gary

When we used to haul the stuff (in the days before the Dangerous Goods Regs were taken too much notice of) we used to store the empty tanks in our yard. On a really hot day they would make quite a loud cracking sound as the metal expanded, making the young appreantice [zb] himself on more than one occasion!