Car Insurance

scanny77:
The AA were charging me £360 just for breakdown cover

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Bloody Nora

Autoaid was £42 this years renewal, edit, gone up to £43.31 i see from the website.
autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

I dont think I’ve ever had breakdown cover, my plan has always been not to breakdown. :smiling_imp:

I have breakdown cover with my bank account along with insurance for two phones, travel insurance and emergency home cover, only a tenner a month.

wrighty1:
I have breakdown cover with my bank account along with insurance for two phones, travel insurance and emergency home cover, only a tenner a month.

Check the small print on your breakdown cover mate, it was common when I was doing recovery to rock up at a qbroken down vehicle and to find the occupants under the illusion that I was about to take them home. They’d be most disappointed to find that their cover only extended to the nearest place of repair, especially at 10pm at night!

the maoster:

wrighty1:

Check the small print on your breakdown cover mate, it was common when I was doing recovery to rock up at a qbroken down vehicle and to find the occupants under the illusion that I was about to take them home. They’d be most disappointed to find that their cover only extended to the nearest place of repair, especially at 10pm at night!

I’m sure that changed when the person noticed you dropped a nice crisp £20 note on the floor. :laughing:

I’m quite sure that I have no idea what you are implying Adam! :wink:

Just insured my Passat. They wanted £339.40 before extra’s, Tesco Bank wanted £243.02, Cornhill couldn’t even come close

Got told my premium was going to double, despite no claims this past year. “Lots of claims in your area” I was told.

Why do I get penalized when I’m not parked in my street at night? (work nights, car in work compound)

Oh! - What’s the postcode of where you park your car at night then?

Gave them the work compound post code…

HALVED the premium it did.

Tip of the day: If your premium gets marked up by a ridiculous amount because of your street’s post code - park your car somewhere else, and save ££££s. :wink:

the maoster:

wrighty1:

if you’re with Halifax Ultimate rewards that is the case. Luckily I already knew this when my exhaust fell of so had the wife on route to pick me up from the nearest garage which was about 40 miles from home.

A couple of observations.
I’m with Cornmarket. Paid £208 last year with my Mrs as named driver on a Passat estate worth 2 grand, fully comp, protected no claims, legal cover etc.
My renewal this year with Cornmarket £290.

Go compare came out at £220 for all the above with AXA Insurance.
Changing profession from lorry driver to a bogus profession of a ‘mechanic’ makes F all difference to the premium!
The “professional driver” discount with Cornmarket is a load of bollox, it’s just a gimmick and makes no difference.

Juddian:

scanny77:
The AA were charging me £360 just for breakdown cover

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Bloody Nora

Autoaid was £42 this years renewal, edit, gone up to £43.31 i see from the website.
autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

I had silver membership (which I did not ask for) but my original cover was pretty much all inclusive. Home start, relay, getting me to my destination etc.
I only do local journeys so all I need is home start and relay now. I certainly do not need 20% discount at MOTO when there are none in Scotland and I already get that with my forces discount card.

Another tip when using price comparison websites is to take the cheapest quote and check direct on that insurers website. Last year I paid £550 with Hastings but my renewal quote was £850 so they got told where to stick it. AXA were cheapest on confused.com at £580 but when I put my details in on the AXA website it came down to £550

When I changed my occupation from Mechanic to Driver my premium went up by £35. Some of the ‘big’ insurance companies are owned by the same company and offer the same price with slightly different extras like free breakdown cover etc. The big difference is when your 3 year old car goes for repair and the likes of Directline fit pattern and second hand parts. I worked in a vehicle body shop for 7 years and some of the tricks these companies pull is unbelievable. I always do a new quote online when my renewal comes and it’s always cheaper (with the same Company) and call up and request that price instead. It’s just cat and mouse really, whatever they can get away with. :laughing:

mm1988:
Another tip when using price comparison websites is to take the cheapest quote and check direct on that insurers website. Last year I paid £550 with Hastings but my renewal quote was £850 so they got told where to stick it. AXA were cheapest on confused.com at £580 but when I put my details in on the AXA website it came down to £550

F-me, 850 quid!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
What you trying to insure, the space shuttle??

wrighty1:

“Only a tenner a month”?

For somewhat less than that I have full breakdown cover (including At Home, recovery + transport of vehicle & passengers to chosen destination, hire car/alternative transport/overnight accomodation, rail fare to collect repaired vehicle) for me in any car/on any motorcycle, my wife in her car and my son in his car.

When I looked at what our bank (Nationwide) was offering as part of their bundled account deal it didn’t come anywhere near that level of cover - in essence it would just pay for a mechanic to come have a look and recover to the garage if he couldn’t fix at the roadside. We get the free travel insurance with our (no monthly fee) current account anyway and my mobile phone is already covered on the house contents insurance [emoji3]

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Gembo:

mm1988:

F-me, 850 quid!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
What you trying to insure, the space shuttle??

That’s with no accident and everything the same (car, address, driver etc) and when I asked them the reason for the £300 increase I was told everyone’s insurance had gone up by a similar amount. The insurance companies are run by theives.