Calor and its transport

A Calor Transport Iveco. Not my photo.

A Tyburns Atkinson with a gas tanker.

11745865_10205471960133014_8916882836646738843_n.jpg

gravydavey:
A Tyburns Atkinson with a gas tanker.

One of these Tyburn Chinese 6 Atkis survives in preservation: TBH 974E.

And how about the Corsair 2000E in the photo?

A couple ERF’s.

HMO 220 N and others on this work had the Calor fleet number and livery as they were on the Calor asset register and to this end also the parent company picked up running costs.

Was there a way to tell via the fleet number if they were calor transport or calor gas?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There was no separate identity the fleet was combined and the Operations Manager decided which vehicles went on which contract and allocated the drivers accordingly, He was responsible for both in house and contract business. Some vehicles however were bespoke, and a great number painted in contract livery.

We were informed on a parallel thread today that the top ERF (of the pair above) was operated by Estra BV in Rotterdam, where apparently it was based. It’s on UK plates and did cross-channel work. So I suppose it could be classed as a subbie. I wonder if the fleet number reflected that. Robert

I used to think 21*** starts for 4 wheelers.
Then 22*** for steyrs
23*** were 6 wheelers
24***
I had 21641(3 years) then onto 25053(8 years) then we floated and condition and tidyness suffered.
Although I had 24051 I hardly saw it.

I also drove from memory 61107/96417 first of the non shaft Ptos and a twin split.
Taken out by Pa Broon to be shown how to drive it properly…

25131 Daf sleeper rws
24026 erf Sleeper rws
21500 E6
21369 E6
22967 ES6
24308 ES6
Even the Old Transit had a fleet number (Emergency response)

Best move was to put splitter boxes on them transformed the mpg and effort.

Iac will know the depot now!
I bought a car from you.
A502YNV at age 17

Most calor transports were 84/85***
Doing the LNG or spirit work who used to COC at the Carse.
Always fancied a shot of the LNG but had the wrong colour eyes [WINKING FACE]
But also had the wrong colour eyes for the chlorine vehicle [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

robert1952:
We were informed on a parallel thread today that the top ERF (of the pair above) was operated by Estra BV in Rotterdam, where apparently it was based. It’s on UK plates and did cross-channel work. So I suppose it could be classed as a subbie. I wonder if the fleet number reflected that. Robert

I think that 5th Dragoon would know more about this, if so I stand corrected. In those days Calor was owned by Imperial Contenental Gas as I believe was Estra hence the link. The ERF reg number HMO looks like a Calor registration and the fleet number certainly looks like a Calor one as well. Also it appears that the door had a Calor logo one but has been removed.

IAC60:

robert1952:

I think that 5th Dragoon would know more about this, if so I stand corrected. In those days Calor was owned by Imperial Contenental Gas as I believe was Estra hence the link. The ERF reg number HMO looks like a Calor registration and the fleet number certainly looks like a Calor one as well. Also it appears that the door had a Calor logo one but has been removed.

That’s useful! Thank you. Robert

Every vehicle that Calor owned or leased or contract hired had a fleet number, including cars. The fleet number was initially four digit but as the fleet expanded it was moved to five digits. The numbers moved from starting with the digit one for the lighter payload range up to eights for the heavier category, and the semi trailers began with the digit nine, but as the cylinder semi trailer fleet expanded rapidly they were given the first digit zero. In a given fleet number range to give an example 7 ton rigid lpg, based on 16 ton gvw, any make of vehicle could be included, i.e., ERF, Leyland, Dennis, Sed Atk. The system was more for administrative and financial control purposes, and was in the 1970s well over two thousand units.
To clear a point Van Ess was never a Calor owned business, it was a joint operating venture where Calor supplied some kit and Pete van Ess managed it, it was always an enigmatic partnership. Imperial Continental who acquired Calor closed down Calor International but retained Coulier, until at some stage it was disposed of with a management buyout.

chubbybrown:
I used to think 21*** starts for 4 wheelers.
Then 22*** for steyrs
23*** were 6 wheelers
24***
I had 21641(3 years) then onto 25053(8 years) then we floated and condition and tidyness suffered.
Although I had 24051 I hardly saw it.

I also drove from memory 61107/96417 first of the non shaft Ptos and a twin split.
Taken out by Pa Broon to be shown how to drive it properly…

25131 Daf sleeper rws
24026 erf Sleeper rws
21500 E6
21369 E6
22967 ES6
24308 ES6
Even the Old Transit had a fleet number (Emergency response)

Best move was to put splitter boxes on them transformed the mpg and effort.

Iac will know the depot now!
I bought a car from you.
A502YNV at age 17

Most calor transports were 84/85***
Doing the LNG or spirit work who used to COC at the Carse.
Always fancied a shot of the LNG but had the wrong colour eyes [WINKING FACE]
But also had the wrong colour eyes for the chlorine vehicle [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Are you not forgetting the ERF B Series (250 ■■■■■■■■■ fleet number 11506 (LJM 82X) an ex drawbar outfit that came in secondhand from another depot. A nightmare vehicle especially when going west!!

The AWD was more suitable but I can’t remember the fleet number only that the reg began with TJM

A light blue Fiesta

5thDragoon:
Every vehicle that Calor owned or leased or contract hired had a fleet number, including cars. The fleet number was initially four digit but as the fleet expanded it was moved to five digits. The numbers moved from starting with the digit one for the lighter payload range up to eights for the heavier category, and the semi trailers began with the digit nine, but as the cylinder semi trailer fleet expanded rapidly they were given the first digit zero. In a given fleet number range to give an example 7 ton rigid lpg, based on 16 ton gvw, any make of vehicle could be included, i.e., ERF, Leyland, Dennis, Sed Atk. The system was more for administrative and financial control purposes, and was in the 1970s well over two thousand units.
To clear a point Van Ess was never a Calor owned business, it was a joint operating venture where Calor supplied some kit and Pete van Ess managed it, it was always an enigmatic partnership. Imperial Continental who acquired Calor closed down Calor International but retained Coulier, until at some stage it was disposed of with a management buyout.

Thanks for that, ‘5thDragoon’, these details help us to track down where some of these old ERF ‘Europeans’ went! Cheers, Robert

It could be 11304 or 104304 Mr C
A derated 10 ton down to 7.5?
Was a Y plate.
That One was Dads Truck.

There is a picture somewhere in the house of it up Ben Nevis, when they did the annual lift by helicopter to the top.

Will post it If I find it.

Found it.

chubbybrown:

Found it.

Nice photo

That’s it, TJM 572Y which was fleet number 10434 and I am sure it was a 10 tonner. The one behind was the 7.5 tonne Bedford which from memory was a 1985 (B reg). The 7.5 tonne had a longer body than the 10 tonne which was pointless and we had to be careful not to overload the rear axle. Neither of them had tail lifts.

I can see your Dad in the background.

Not my picture. I believe that this is an ex- Monks International Volvo.

Two of these F88s were operated out of Teesside, one on an ICI contract for Trimethylamine into Italy, and Southern Ireland, and one on a refined methonal product into Germany. They really were not very reliable, but had probably had a good spanking before we got them. The two drivers were like chalk and cheese one totally reliable and the other always on the make, hasten to add he was a shop steward.

Here is a very interesting photo sent by Kevin Tabran to me. Can anyone shed any light on it.