Calor and its transport

will be there 9 to 10 in the morning

ok mate ill call ya see if theres any news

slatey:
will be there 9 to 10 in the morning

I remember Calor had 2 drivers based at Lockerbie ,they parked at the old ^truckstop^next to National tyres 60-80 ish,next the A74 in a housing scheme,one o the drivers was Eric Knutt(spelling ) i can still put a face tae the other guy but the name has escaped me.
jimmy

the move into contract haulage[/attachment]Leyland becomes the main supplier

image0-048.jpg

[attachment=0]image0-050.jpg 1950s and 60s expansion

image0-52.jpg

image0-050.jpg

5thDragoon:
[attachment=0]image0-050.jpg 1950s and 60s expansion

CJA1:
Some good old stuff on er Guy"s, this is a bit more modern LOL!! Cheers Chris.

100_2334.JPG

One from Three ■■■■■ depot,Breconshire.

The D series Ford and the TK Bedford became the backbone of the re delivery fleet late 60,s image0-13.jpg[/attachment]

Scan-020.bmp.jpg

hi 5th dragoon
the firm i drove for in the early 60’s s.protheroe porthcawl bought 2 ex calor beavers,the one i had was arp 17 the
other one was snv something,they were in good condition and went well.tony

[attachment=1]Scan-061.jpg butadiene for ICI[attachment=0]Scan-025.jpg ethylene oxide for Union Carbide

Scan-061.jpg

Hi Beaver680, I still have the fleet list from 1968, there were two models the 24t and 32t, the latter with the 680 power plus was a chassis breaker.

hi 5th dragoon they were the 24t with 600 engines the same as the ones in page one,i had a 680 in the lad cab 24t

beaver at brs bridgend and you are right it went like a train tony

AEC 505
image0-1.jpg Leyland 500
image0-6.jpg

One of Calor Gas`s modern rigid delivery lorries, a DAF LF

Seen on Castle Way, Carlisle in 2012
Kindest regards
CG

Becker and Pickhaus, Germany and re-badged Calor
Scan-072.jpg

Dabbling with dual fuel - There were two reasons for attempting to use LPG for vehicle use, one a a competitor to petrol for spark ignition vehicles, and secondly as a publicity stunt and use for compression ignition vehicles. Many diesel HGVs were picking up GV9’s for smoke emission, mainly Leylands, and Calor brought out a kit which when fitted overcame this problem, and also reduced fuel costs over the long term. It necessitated the fuel pump being calibrated at 75% of normal, and the fitting of an 85 litre gas tank, along with a venturi controlled regulator with an on/off switch. Unladen, the vehicle did not need to have the LPG in use as it performed well on the threequarter pump settings, but when the LPG switch was activated it was like a turbo booster. It was given television audiance with Raymond Baxter on Tomorrows World but the idea never took off, mainly because the technology for LPG flow control at that time was pretty poor. A bus belonging to Teesside Corporation was converted to full LPG, but the gear ratios were totally wrong for the higher reving engine, and the drivers hated it, the passengers were not too pleased as there was discernable noise from squeaking panels which were exagerated with a virtually non existant engine noise. Calor had one pure LPG fuelled truck an ERF with a ■■■■■■■ lpg engine which was more for publicity purposes than of any practicable use. This experiment ceased after five years of engineering nightmares. Unfortunately I have no photos of these.

[attachment=1][attachment=0]