C1E query

ROG:

J-BONE:
Yes I’m ok I have a class 1 but its my friend who is the query. He had the W&D concession so he has no CE licence he does have a C with no codes and C1E with a 107 code

Why have a C1E with a 107 code when he also has a cat C licence (no code) but both are really the same licence, 32 ton lorry 750kg trailer

If your friend was given the W&D entitlement on his old HGV 2/3 (now LGV C) then he would have CE 101 on his licence

107 is a weight restriction code
101 is a driving entitlement restriction code

You are asking about two different things and trying to put them together I think

Nope, sorry ROG but you’re wrong on this.

I’ve just checked my old licence and for cat C1+E there’s code 107 but no code 101 nor should there be, code 101 is “not for hire or reward”.

There is however code 101 on D1 and D1+E presumably because I’ve never taken a PCV test.

You’re confusing the topic with all this talk about code 101 because it’s not relevant to the question :confused:

ROG:
Not all HGV 2/3 drivers were given W&D (CE101) entitlements when the change came in - they had to apply for it and have a letter from an employer saying they had driven one

I think you’re getting the change in licence categories mixed up with the introduction of the HGV driving test in the early 1970s, when the HGV test was introduced you had to get a letter from an employer to say that you’d driven the appropriate category of vehicle for 6 months in order to have grandfather rights to that class of vehicle.

When the licence categories were changed in 1997 anyone with a class 3 licence was give cat C+E with code 107.

tachograph:

ROG:

J-BONE:
Yes I’m ok I have a class 1 but its my friend who is the query. He had the W&D concession so he has no CE licence he does have a C with no codes and C1E with a 107 code

Why have a C1E with a 107 code when he also has a cat C licence (no code) but both are really the same licence, 32 ton lorry 750kg trailer

If your friend was given the W&D entitlement on his old HGV 2/3 (now LGV C) then he would have CE 101 on his licence

107 is a weight restriction code
101 is a driving entitlement restriction code

You are asking about two different things and trying to put them together I think

Nope, sorry ROG but you’re wrong on this.

I’ve just checked my old licence and for cat C1+E there’s code 107 but no code 101 nor should there be, code 101 is “not for hire or reward”.

There is however code 101 on D1 and D1+E presumably because I’ve never taken a PCV test.

You’re confusing the topic with all this talk about code 101 because it’s not relevant to the question :confused:

ROG:
Not all HGV 2/3 drivers were given W&D (CE101) entitlements when the change came in - they had to apply for it and have a letter from an employer saying they had driven one

I think you’re getting the change in licence categories mixed up with the introduction of the HGV driving test in the early 1970s, when the HGV test was introduced you had to get a letter from an employer to say that you’d driven the appropriate category of vehicle for 6 months in order to have grandfather rights to that class of vehicle.

When the licence categories were changed in 1997 anyone with a class 3 licence was give cat C+E with code 107.

I think he means code 102.

102 - drawbar trailers only

muckles:
Driving licence codes - GOV.UK

You could be right :wink:

edit: Yes, code 107 was the code put on for people who passed the car test before a date I can’t remember wasn’t it.

Blimey this got complicated didn’t it :smiley:

You guys are right and I have got the wrong code - YET AGAIN !!

102 is the CE licence restriction code for W&D only

101 = not for hire and reward

107 = weight restriction code

Must be the heat getting to me though I do have air con in the house - that is my excuse and I am sticking to it :unamused: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

tachograph:

muckles:
Driving licence codes - GOV.UK

You could be right :wink:

edit: Yes, code 107 was the code put on for people who passed the car test before a date I can’t remember wasn’t it.

Blimey this got complicated didn’t it :smiley:

To put it simply I think that any driver who held a licence under the old 7.5 tonner car and HGV class 3 or class 2 categories maintained all of their vehicle and trailer entitlements just the same as they had before.In addition to the anomaly of class 3 drivers then also being allowed to drive class 2 rigids with the change to Class C.From memory I also think that the 7.5 tonner car licence entitlement allowed more than a 750 kg trailer ?.Often confirmed by a 7.5 tonner being any self respecting traveller’s towing vehicle of choice used to pull their mobile bungalow around the country. :wink:

Realistically the change from car/class 3/class 2/class 1 to C1,C1 + E,C,C + E created a worse dog’s dinner solution to a non existent problem.Compared to the relatively more logical system that we had before.

Thanks guys… what a debate, what I’ll do is ask my friend

A. When the categories changed did he get a letter from his employer stating he has driven a W&D for over 6 months?

B. Did he notify DVLA or apply for the concession in any way shape or form?

I think the answer to both of those questions from him will be no or I can’t remember.

The online licence check will tell him all he needs to know because if its not there then that is what DVLA will tell him as it is their computer records he is looking at

There’s some confusion here, you said he’s got cat C on his licence with no codes and cat C1+E with code 107.

The only time an employers letter was needed was when HGV testing started in the 70s, you needed confirmation that you’d been driving the appropriate class of vehicle in order to get grandfather rights for the appropriate licence.

As your mate already has cat C on his licence the above paragraph is irrelevant to him now.

With cat C and cat C1+E with code 107 on his licence he can drive a cat C vehicle with a 750 kg trailer, sorry but that’s the maximum he can legally drive.

Check with DVLA by all means but you’ll find this is correct.

Sent from my mobile.