Very confused advice needed please

Hello all,

I was just going through my licence and discovered that i am allowed to to drive C1 and C1E does this mean class1 or class 2. I know that it’s something to do with 7.5 tonnes.

I ask this because i am changing jobs and looking at driving as an option. please help

c1 is for vehicles up to 7.5 tonne gvw c1e is for combinations truck and trailer i cant remember what the combind weight is now it us to be 7.5 tonnes total for truck and trailer but i do believe this has been increased best thing to do is look on dvla web site they should have all the information you need

C1 = vehicles up to 7.5t with a max. 750kgs trailer
C1E = 7.5t vehicle with trailer over 750kgs, max. combination weight 12t.

You’re C1E may be restricted to 8250kgs though if you got it by passing your car test.

mrpj:
C1 = vehicles up to 7.5t with a max. 750kgs trailer
C1E = 7.5t vehicle with trailer over 750kgs, max. combination weight 12t.

You’re C1E may be restricted to 8250kgs though if you got it by passing your car test.

Thanks i appreciate you replying so quickly. Does this mean that i can apply for class 1 jobs

Thanks again

kreamo:
[ Does this mean that i can apply for class 1 jobs

No, class 1 will mean CE.

mrpj:

kreamo:
[ Does this mean that i can apply for class 1 jobs

No, class 1 will mean CE.

so can i apply for class2 jobs

kreamo:
Thanks i appreciate you replying so quickly. Does this mean that i can apply for class 1 jobs

NO :slight_smile:
I don’t think you have quite got this

C1 = vehicles from 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes - NO trailer
C1+E = vehicles from 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes - WITH trailer BUT if there a restriction code next to it then you are restricted as to the trailer size - think it is 850KG :question:
C = vehicles over 7.5 tonnes (no upper limit) - NO trailer (also known as HGV classes 1 & 2)
C+E (Artic or Wagon & Drag) = vehicles over 7.5 tonnes (no upper limit) - WITH trailer (also known as HGV class 1)

judging by what you are saying i think that i am only allowed to apply for white van man jobs yes??

kreamo:
judging by what you are saying i think that i am only allowed to apply for white van man jobs yes??

NO :slight_smile:
lets get a bit of info - what year did you pass your B (car) test :question:

kreamo:

You cannot drive a class 2 as that’s cat. C. You can drive white vans ie transits and, as you have a C1, 7.5 tonners

mrpj:

kreamo:

You cannot drive a class 2 as that’s cat. C. You can drive white vans ie transits and, as you have a C1, 7.5 tonners

i passed my test in 1992
on the back of my licence it has A B BE B1 C1 C1E D1 D1E f k l n p

sorry the last reply was for rog

kreamo:
on the back of my licence it has A B BE B1 C1 C1E D1 D1E f k l n p

Then it’s any goods vehicle up to 7.5 tonners. You’re C1E will be restriced though, there should be a code next to it, 101 I think it is.

as I thought - you passed car before 1997 :slight_smile:
You can drive any vehicle without a trailer up to 7.5 tonnes and you can tow very small trailers up to, I THINK, 850KGS :question: :question:

NOT 100% this but check the number of wheel nuts on each wheel - if 4, 5, or 6 then you are USUALLY OK - double check the gross vehicle weight on the plate inside the vehicle if got 6 wheel nuts, it is usually inside the cab on the passenger side - it should read under 7.5 tonnes (or under 7,500KGS)

Thanks alot guys really really helpfull.
are there many jobs available with this sort of licence or do suggest i upgrade

ROG:
…and you can tow very small trailers up to, I THINK, 850KGS :question: :question:

I know you said “I THINK” Rog, but get your tin hat on! :laughing::lol::lol:

C1 = Vehicles between 3500kg and 7500kg with a trailer up to 750kg
C1E = Combinations of vehicles where the towing vehicle is in subcategory C1 and its trailer has a MAM of over 750kg provided that the MAM of the combination thus formed does not exceed 12000kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. (If you passed your category B test prior to 1.1.1997 you will be restricted to a total weight not more than 8250kg) (That’s restriction code 107)

direct.gov.uk

That means you could drive something like a 4.1T vehicle with a 2T trailer, because

a) the MAM of the combo would be less that 8.25T
b) the MAM of trailer would likely to be less than the unladen mass of the towing vehicle.

It would only restrict you to 850kg, if the MAM of the towing vehicle was 7400kg. If the towing vehicle was 7500kg then the MAM of the trailer could not exceed 750kg.

If you’re not sure, then look around for 7.5T jobs. If you’re 100% sure and a have a grand burning a hole in your back pocket then consider upgrading.

I know you said “I THINK” Rog, but get your tin hat on!

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Had something else on my mind at the time so said I THINK as I could not recall the exact wordings/regs - thanks for expanding on the subject :smiley: :smiley: