Buses, coaches, & lorries

oiltreader:
All credit to Clive A Brown for these Ray.
Eddie

Thanks to Eddie for posting these pictures by Clive A Brown taken at the old bus station in the centre of Wigan.
The bus station was demolished in the summer of 2017, and by October 2018, the new bus station was completed,
apparently 2 months ahead of time. I have posted some pictures of the new bus station on here recently, and I
will probably take some more when I go into town early next week on the bus, complete with facemask.

Cheers, Ray.

A new National coach passed me yesterday i thought they had gone

ramone:

Someone will correct me, but National isn’t a single entity, it’s a consortium of many coach operators providing “national” route coverage.

Now you mention it, I haven’t seen Megabus for some time.

gingerfold:

ramone:

Someone will correct me, but National isn’t a single entity, it’s a consortium of many coach operators providing “national” route coverage.

Now you mention it, I haven’t seen Megabus for some time.

Megabus and Nat Ex still about just not in any volumes as there ain’t many punters these days

A Leyland PD2 of Birkenhead Corporation with bodywork by Massey Bros of Wigan.
It is on route 41 on the A41, New Chester Road. NMP.

Birkenhead Leyland.jpg

Some shots of the Leyland National “Executive Commuter” concept. This was photographed semi-derelict at Gaydon in 2008. The museum wanted to dispose of it, and it was thought that it would be offered to the Leyland Museum. I haven’t seen or heard of it since, but it is still showing on the DVLA database as untaxed since Feb 1986. Does anyone know of its whereabouts or fate?

P6070364.JPG

P6070362.JPG

P6070367.JPG

P6070366.JPG

P6070361.JPG

P6070360.JPG

fodenway:
Some shots of the Leyland National “Executive Commuter” concept. This was photographed semi-derelict at Gaydon in 2008. The museum wanted to dispose of it, and it was thought that it would be offered to the Leyland Museum. I haven’t seen or heard of it since, but it is still showing on the DVLA database as untaxed since Feb 1986. Does anyone know of its whereabouts or fate?

According to a comment with this photo (click on the photo for more info), it’s safely stored under cover and awaiting restoration:

Leyland National UTJ595M by Alan Drake, on Flickr

fodenway:

Here it is in happier times:

LN Business Commuter UTJ 595M by Brian, on Flickr
A very Super National by Geoff Dowling, on Flickr

A Leyland Atlantean from 1972 of Accrington Corporation with bodywork by East Lancs Coachbuilders
from nearby Blackburn. I always considered the dark blue paintwork was rather dour, just my opinion.
Picture by H.J.Black.

Accrington.jpg

A Leyland PD3 of Ribble Motor Services with bodywork by Burlingham of Blackpool
seen in Carlisle. I seem to recognise the red Bedford TK boxvan from my days years
ago when I delivered to and passed through Carlisle many years ago, I think it was
a carrier local to Carlisle, but I cant bring a name to mind. Ray.

Ribble Carlisle.jpg

Ray Smyth:
A Leyland Atlantean from 1972 of Accrington Corporation with bodywork by East Lancs Coachbuilders
from nearby Blackburn. I always considered the dark blue paintwork was rather dour, just my opinion.
Picture by H.J.Black.

Hi Ray. I really liked the Accrington livery, especially on the the earlier buses from the 50s and 60s. I have to admit though that the example in your photo, a " rear engined box " does look a bit grim ! Accrington Corporation chose the livery to commemorate the achievements of the local regiment, " The Accrington Pals ", in WW1, dark blue and red being the regimental colours
For a period after the war, they also painted black bands round the buses to remember the fallen.

Regards. John.
P.S. I’ve always believed the above to be true,but as often seems to be the case nowadays, some one always comes up with the opposite view !!

Hi John, Thank you for your very interesting post, Your comments are an excellent reason for the colour scheme
on the Accrington buses, and respect for The Accrington Pals who gave their all during World War 1.
Click on picture for full image. Painting by John Kinsley.
Cheers, Ray.

Accrington Corporation.jpg

A preserved Bristol from 1950 with bodywork by Eastern Coachworks of Lowestoft, ex Maidstone & District.
Click picture for full image. NMP.

Bristol Maidstone.jpg

Ray, the boxvan belonged to Ruddicks Parcel Deliveries, Durranhill Ind Estate, Carlisle near Robsons main depot. The Ribble PD3 en route from city centre to either Raffles Estate, Belle Vue or Morton Park, I probably drove this bus several times back in 1964. Blue Circle Scammel Routeman cement tanker heading up Castle St before the town planners ruined a wonderful pleasant wide thoroughfare into the city centre. The Routeman probably came from the CMC plant at Marchon Chemicals at Whitehaven. This view has changed considerably these days with the shops on the corner demolished and the new Tullie House Museum extension built, the clock tower is the original Tullie House museum, The large building in the background is the Catherderal and the red brick building on the extreme right the Salvation Army citadel gone replaced by a dual carriageway “Castle Way”. The photo taken from the castle walls.
Here are some photos taken in 2018 from the castle walls and one from Castle St towards the castle, the zig zag blocks and large light colured squares in the pavement illustrate the line of the Roman Wall and the squares the Mile Castles and forts etc. The 8 wheel DAF tipper belongs to Roy Hetherington from Westlinton.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

IMG_2398 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Leyland600:
Ray, the boxvan belonged to Ruddicks Parcel Deliveries, Durranhill Ind Estate, Carlisle near Robsons main depot. The Ribble PD3 en route from city centre to either Raffles Estate, Belle Vue or Morton Park, I probably drove this bus several times back in 1964. Blue Circle Scammel Routeman cement tanker heading up Castle St before the town planners ruined a wonderful pleasant wide thoroughfare into the city centre. The Routeman probably came from the CMC plant at Marchon Chemicals at Whitehaven. This view has changed considerably these days with the shops on the corner demolished and the new Tullie House Museum extension built, the clock tower is the original Tullie House museum, The large building in the background is the Catherderal and the red brick building on the extreme right the Salvation Army citadel gone replaced by a dual carriageway “Castle Way”. The photo taken from the castle walls.
Here are some photos taken in 2018 from the castle walls and one from Castle St towards the castle, the zig zag blocks and large light colured squares in the pavement illustrate the line of the Roman Wall and the squares the Mile Castles and forts etc. The 8 wheel DAF tipper belongs to Roy Hetherington from Westlinton.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Gerald, Thank you for the info and pictures. Whilst I was posting the above Carlisle picture, and also having a Mental Block, I knew
that you would help with my loss of memory. :smiley: During my 3 years driving for Robert Baillie of Portsmouth, the 4 of us Wigan
based drivers would be on Carlisle and Kendal once every 4 weeks. Midnight start, arriving at Durranhill Industrial Estate just before
3 a.m., Not much M6 then, it finished Northbound, topside of Carnforth. The next 2 hours was spent handballing almost 3000 trays
of Guernsey Tomatoes to 2 wholesalers on site, and one other who arrived from Carlisle City centre. I can remember the name of one
of the wholesalers…W.B.Anderson, the names of the other 2 will probably appear in my head once I have posted this. Thanks for
recalling my memory of Ruddicks red vans, also nearby was the TV studios of Border Television. Usually. after leaving Carlisle, there
was about 300 trays of tomatoes next to the headboard for Dockers in Kendal, which I recall was beside the Ribble bus depot.
It has just come to mind, one of the Carlisle wholesalers was also called Dockers. I think that I ought to go and have a lie down in a darkened room. :wink:
Meanwhile, Take care and keep safe, Cheers, Ray.

Ray the third wholesaler was probably F.Proudfoot the parent company of today’s Haulage Express. who had warehousing in the West Tower St, Peter St area, they ran a couple of AEC Mammoth Major MK III eight wheelers in the 1950s. W B Anderson had premises on the West Walls which even back then was a difficult place to access, they had a lot of Guy Vixen or Wolf wagons. I can’t recall where Dockers warehouse was but probably in the West Tower St area as this is adjacent to Carlisle Market Hall. Here is a photo of F.W. Dockers Foden FG first registered 19 Aug 1950 but probably before your time on the tomato job.Not my photo.Whose premise did you carry out the transhipping was it Andersons ? The Proudfoot photo origin unknown.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Proudfoots AECs.jpg

Leyland600:
Ray the third wholesaler was probably F.Proudfoot the parent company of today’s Haulage Express. who had warehousing in the West Tower St, Peter St area, they ran a couple of AEC Mammoth Major MK III eight wheelers in the 1950s. W B Anderson had premises on the West Walls which even back then was a difficult place to access, they had a lot of Guy Vixen or Wolf wagons. I can’t recall where Dockers warehouse was but probably in the West Tower St area as this is adjacent to Carlisle Market Hall. Here is a photo of F.W. Dockers Foden FG first registered 19 Aug 1950 but probably before your time on the tomato job.Not my photo.Whose premise did you carry out the transhipping was it Andersons ? The Proudfoot photo origin unknown.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Gerald, Thank you again for your information and pictures. The location where we transhipped the Guernsey Tomatoes was a
fairly modern building and yard at Durranhill, it is there where I seem to remember Ruddicks vans and Border Television.
Best regards, Ray.

One of a large order of left hand drive Leyland Atlantean buses for Kuwait in 1983.
This bus has travelled from the original Northern Counties factory on Wigan Lane,
and is turning left into Enfield Street toward what was the old Massey Bros site
where it will be painted. Picture from Wigan World Forum.

oiltreader:
Various destinations.
Oily

A friend of mine owns that ex Southend Corporation Leyland PD3 - it is on display in Canvey Transport Museum

A 1977 Leyland Atlantean of Rossendale Transport with bodywork by
East Lancashire Coachbuilders Ltd from nearby Blackburn.
Picture by Gavin Booth.