Buses, coaches, & lorries

Looks like a pair of Atkinson Alphas to me.

Regards John.

Good line up of buses at Marlborough Crescent bus station. From L to R. United Bristol L , ECW body, 2 Northern Leyland Tiger Cubs,Saunders Roe bodys, Northern AEC Reliance, Willowbrook body and Venture Atkinson Alpha with Willowbrook body Lots of memories of passing through this long gone bus station in the 1950s , it certainly was not draught proof.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Not Atkinson Alphas but L644LWLXL front vertical engined chassis, strictly speaking an extended Atkinson L644 lorry chassis. with C.H. Roe bodywork. A local operator to me had one for a short time.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hi Ray, some buses in Wigan all credit to Ian Roberts. The first photo shows the Seven Stars Hotel which brought me back to 2007 when I was having a campervan conversion done by NuVenture Motorhomes in Seven Stars Lane, I know the hotel was burnt out in 2008 and have just done a street google and it looks like its no longer there.
Eddie

Bus Wigan Ian Roberts cc by nc 2.0 2445209581_09240de765_k.jpg

Bus Wigan Ian Roberts cc by nc 2.0 2445218555_f33016f347_k.jpg

Hi Eddie, Thank you for the above pictures, they bring back memories from about 20 years ago.
The Seven Stars pub was demolished and a modern looking Bathroom and Sanitaryware store
was built, but I dont think it lasted very long, directly across the road was a Plumbing and
bathroom dealer, and just 300 yards up Wallgate A49, to the right of the little Optare bus is
another Bathroom store. The attached picture shows a Wigan Corporation Leyland PD3 on
route 22 to Marsh Green, this location is now " One Way " in the opposite direction toward
the town centre. With regard to Nu-Venture caravans, I took my little Ford Transit there just
after I had replaced it with a larger van, I was considering having it converted into a 2 berth
semi hightop camper van, they gave me a good design and a reasonable quote.
Meanwhile, Take care and keep safe, Ray.

I recently announced on this thread that Dr. Harold Peers, a lifelong transport enthusiast, had passed away.
I have added 2 pictures of his ex Ribble Leyland TD5 which he rallied for many years, and I believe it is now
in the care of the Ribble Vehicle Preservation Group. The 2 pictures of Harolds Crosville Leyland TD5 was in
Skipton in Yorkshire, October 9th 2011, on its first appearance following many years of hard work.
It was an honour and a pleasure to have known Harold, may he rest in peace.

Ray Smyth.

Harold Peers 2.jpg

Some more from the NE. The first one is Venture Bus Co at Consett Station. The others are photos from various locations in Newcastle & Sunderland

Tyneside

Is that last one in Newcastle or Sunderland ? :wink:

Regards John.

No the last one is Leeds top of Fairway hill, that’s the Fairway pub

atlas man:
No the last one is Leeds top of Fairway hill, that’s the Fairway pub

Oops sorry about. That last photo was posted in error. Tyneside

Leyland Atlantean buses.

Great Yarmouth
Silver Star
King Alfred
London Country
Liverpool

Pictures by Tony Wilson.

LCPT 1160.jpg

London Country.jpg

King Alfred.jpg

Gt Yarmouth.jpg

A leyland Atlantean of Belfast Corporation from 1960, with bodywork by Alaxander,

Picture by Howard Cunningham.

A Leyland Leopard ■■ on the old Scotswood Bridge Newcastle Tyneside

image0-129_Original.jpg, one of six Devon General, MTT 640 to MTT 645, purchased by GM Pearson, Building and Civil Engineering Contractors of Hetton le Hole, Co Durham where they gave sterling performance for over a decade, and one in preservation with Carmel Coaches

The Leyland PD2/10 (7ft 6in) and the PD2/12 (8ft wide) models with Leyland metal framed Faringdon style bodies were the ultimate in double deck design and reliability plus they were very pleasant to drive. If the Leyland 600 engine was well set up they would go anywhere without a great deal of effort. G.M.Pearson obviously recognised how good they were having several of them in his fleet including 2 or 3 ex Ribble 1300 series lowbridge models with enclosed platforms. With regard to the Devon General photo Gibsons of Moffat bought MTA 741 from Leyland Motors aftrer it had been on display at a Scottish Motor Show in Devon General livery and ran it for several years.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

This Venture bus would be on Service No 11 Newcastle Marlborough Crescent to Conset via Shotley Bridge and Blackhill, I travelled on this service often in the days of the Daimlel COG 5s and the Willowbrook Atkinson Alphas early to mid 1950s.
Cheers Leyland 600

A Leyland Atlantean of Blackpool Transport with bodywork by East Lancs Coachworks
of Blackburn, seen when it was new in 1980. Picture by Gavin Booth.

Blackpool 339.jpg

All credit to Clive A Brown for these Ray.
Eddie

Bus Wigan Clive A Brown cc by nc 2.0 13578905644_67275f7786_k.jpg

The Funny Farm thread has turned its attention to PSVs, with the assertion that there was no demand for 12+ litre engines in passenger vehicles in the latter part of the last century. I found this, and decided it would sit better here:

4790191284_bdd9711e15_o.jpg

National Express passengers got to sit on top of a N/A 14 litre V8, for the price of a bus ticket.