Buses, coaches, & lorries

Here is a pic of the coach I usually drive, a 2007 Dennis Plaxton. Not particularly old but the company is soon to have it’s 100th birthday! There will no doubt be a liveried vehicle or 2 to celebrate as such (I’ll keep y’all posted)

IMG_20190606_130422.jpg

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:
These 2 Leyland PD2 buses, 1466 and 1470 seen here at the Pier Head, Liverpool in 1974
were new to Ribble Motor Services in 1956. Ribble certainly got their moneysworth out of
these buses and many others. Picture by David A. Powell.

1466 now:

JCK 541 Leyland PD2/12 by John Wakefield, on Flickr

Chris, I learned only recently that 1466 had been cut down to single deck, and it looks better
than I imagined it would. Where is it now, and is it on the rally circuit ? Cheers, Ray.

It belongs to a hospitality company in Whitchurch, Hants, 'and isn’t used for passenger carrying, I don’t think.

I saw it, entirely by chance, late one night about 3 months ago - belting up the A34 at Whitchurch: it must have been absolutely flat out, and sounded it. It looked quite smart, considering, and that would be the first time that I saw it since it was at Frenchwood, as the last Burlingham PD2 on the fleet.

By the way, are you sure that your photo of 1466 and 1470 was as late as 1974? I thought that they had finished by then, although it’s a long time ago now and I forget. Gerald will know when it left Ribble. I particularly remember 1466 because it was the last one, and I liked the look of those bodies. 1470 was an occasional school run performer too, I think, but both were based in Preston at that time, c.1970/1

Chris, This David A Powell picture is from “Glory Days, Ribble” and the script mentions “Picture in 1974”.
I can see that the Ribble name is in the later lower case lettering, which will bring it into the 1970s.
I always prefer the fleet name type from the period when I drove them, early 1968 for 2 years.
Regards, Ray.

Ribble Leyland Atlantean 1481 at the Pier Head in Liverpool on route 321
to Walton Hospital. Probably an extra shortened journey to accommodate
large numbers of Hospital visitors. For many years, the 321 went from
Skelhorne Street to Lydiate. Picture by Dan,Bootle Forum.

The Wrightbus Streetcar, this one in York.
Oily

Kells Bus Museum.
Oily

Buses in Dublin.
Oily

buses-Dublin in PD 2886190_PD 1280.jpg

Ribble Leyland Atlantean in Stanley Road, Bootle, on route L2 heading toward Liverpool.
Picture by Dan, Bootle Forum.

Ribble Leyland Atlantean fleet number 1377 heading up Copperas Hill in the centre of
Liverpool on route S4 to Freshfield on the Lancashire coast. Picture by Dan, Bootle Forum.

I traveled on many of those Ribble buses growing up in Bootle. :wink:

Ribble Leyland Atlantean 1388 in Lord Street, Liverpool, on route L81 to Thornton.

Ribble Leyland PD3, fleet No. 1784 at Old Haymarket terminus in the centre of
Liverpool, December 13th 1980. The “St Johns Lane” showing in the indicator
is where it is parked, the conductor hasn’t “Changed the front” yet, he and the
driver will have nipped off to the mobile canteen for a cup of tea and toast.

Ray, 1784 was new to Carlisle depot, I think most of Carlisle’s PD3s were transferred to Liverpool when Carlisle depot was re-equipped with Bristol VRs.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Meccano Magazine from March 1954, The Liverpool Corporation AEC Mk 111 Regent
fleet number A9, and the Crosville Bristol K are at the Pier Head terminus.

Ribble 1397, a Leyland Atlantean in National Bus Company “Poppy Red”.
It is seen here arriving at the Pier Head in Liverpool. Picture by Dan, Bootle Forum.

The 21st Leyland Society Gathering is on Sunday July 7th 2019 at the
British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, Lancashire. Ray Smyth.

Ribble Leyland Breakdown Bus BD1. Picture by Dan Bootle Forum.

Ribble Leyland Breakdown Bus BD3, ready for a lick of paint.

Ribble BD3.jpg

Ray, BD3 was Carlisle’s towbus regularly driven by a good friend of mine on some long tows from time to time as well as local recovery jobs.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Ray, BD3 was Carlisle’s towbus regularly driven by a good friend of mine on some long tows from time to time as well as local recovery jobs.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Now then Gerald a question, how come you never fancied a start on good old ■■■■■■■■■■ Motor Services all those years ago ? Cheers Dennis.

I did work for CMS 1980- 86 up to deregulation when the opportunity arose to start my coaching business.
Cheers, Leyland 600