Buses, coaches, & lorries

Last Sunday’s Ribble 100 event at Morecambe started on the previous day with an Open Day at the Stagecoach Depot at White Lund Industrial Estate.
Attendance on both days by vehicles and the public was excellent.
In addition to the Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust vehicles attending, there were a great many visiting vehicles Including 5 ‘modern’ vehicles painted in versions of earlier Ribble liveries. (2 by Stagecoach, 2 by Arriva Merseyside and one by Transdev, Blackburn Bus Company).

Stagecoach - Scania / AD Enviro 400 - (PX59CUJ):

Stagecoach - AD Enviro 400 - (PX12DNU):

Arriva - VDL / Wright - (CX06BJY):

Arriva - AD Trident - (CX58FZZ):

Transdev - Volvo B7TL / Wright - (R100TDV):

Leyland600:
Ray, are you going to the Ribble 100 centenary event at Morecambe on Sunday ? My mate from Garstang owned 1466 for some time and we repainted it in my garage back in 1978-9…
Cheers Leyland 600.

Was your mate T Bird Frank by any chance?

Hi GOM . No.
Cheers Leyland 600

TROOPER2:
Last Sunday’s Ribble 100 event at Morecambe started on the previous day with an Open Day at the Stagecoach Depot at White Lund Industrial Estate.
Attendance on both days by vehicles and the public was excellent.
In addition to the Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust vehicles attending, there were a great many visiting vehicles Including 5 ‘modern’ vehicles painted in versions of earlier Ribble liveries. (2 by Stagecoach, 2 by Arriva Merseyside and one by Transdev, Blackburn Bus Company).

Stagecoach - Scania / AD Enviro 400 - (PX59CUJ):

Stagecoach - AD Enviro 400 - (PX12DNU):

Arriva - VDL / Wright - (CX06BJY):

Arriva - AD Trident - (CX58FZZ):

Transdev - Volvo B7TL / Wright - (R100TDV):

Hi Trooper, Great pictures from last weekend, Did you get any pictures of the older preserved buses ?
I recently saw the Arriva Volvo/Wright “Ribble” in the centre of Wigan, but I wasn’t near enough to have
a proper look at it, It was crossing the junction of Standishgate and entering Crompton Street, probably
on route 320 to St Helens. In my time driving Ribble buses in the late 1960s, the 320 went through to
Liverpool, usually with a Leyland PD3 or a Leyland Atlantean. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Seen at the Ribble 100 centenary event last Sunday. MCW bodied Leyland PD3/5 No 1729 supplied new to Carlisle Corporation Rd depot in 1961 I drove it frequently while working there in 1964. Good to see the bus again in top class condition.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Following the “De-Regulation” of bus services in the late 1980s, Several Ribble depots including
Wigan, Southport, and the 3 in Liverpool, Aintree, Bootle, and Skelhorne Street, and possibly
a couple of others, became “North Western”. This Scania with bodywork by East Lancs is seen
at Wigan bus station on route 585 to Leigh. It is a pity that the destination blind and route
numbers were too large for the indicator panel on the front.

These 2 Leyland PD2 buses, 1466 and 1470 seen here at the Pier Head, Liverpool in 1974
were new to Ribble Motor Services in 1956. Ribble certainly got their moneysworth out of
these buses and many others. Picture by David A. Powell.

Ribble Leyland Leopard 926 is seen here at Preston bus station on
route X40 to Manchester. The bodywork was by Willowbrook.
Picture by David A.Powell.

Ribble PD3 Leyland 1562 is at the “Old Haymarket” terminus in the centre of Liverpool in 1971.
The green bus on the left is a Liverpool Corporation Leyland PD2. Picture by Arnold Richardson.

Ray Smyth:
These 2 Leyland PD2 buses, 1466 and 1470 seen here at the Pier Head, Liverpool in 1974
were new to Ribble Motor Services in 1956. Ribble certainly got their moneysworth out of

1466 now:

JCK 541 Leyland PD2/12 by John Wakefield, on Flickr

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:

1466 now:

Chris, I learned only recently that 1466 had been cut down to single deck, and it looks better
than I imagined it would. Where is it now, and is it on the rally circuit ? Cheers, Ray.

Ribble 366, a Bristol RE on route 12 from Blackpool to St Annes On Sea.
Picture is courtesy of Dan, Bootle Forum.

Liverpool Corporation Daimler on route 16 on Vauxhall Road, early 1960s. on its way
to the terminus at Pier Head. It is one of 100 Daimlers ordered by Liverpool Corporation
during 1948. This is one of 50 of the order that received bodywork by Northern Counties,
I believe that the remaining 50 of the order received framework by Weymann, and were
completed by the Corporations coachbuilders at Edge Lane depot and works.
The 100 Daimlers entered service during 1949 and 1950. Picture by Bootle Forum.

Ray, I read recently in an enthusiast magazine that 1466 had returned to the UK from Belgium where it has been for some time in its butchered form and is now owned by a coach company on the south coast. 1466 was owned by a good friend of mine when first bought for preservation and he and I repainted it in my garage circa 1979-80. It went to Maidstone & District as Roger Davis was part owner then they repainted it in M& D livery changed the destination layout and fitted a sliding cab door, they also converted it to open platform. It was used by M&D for driver training for a while.
I think it lost the top deck when sold onto the continent.
Cheers Leyland 600

1466 in M&D livery.JPG

1466-After repaint a.jpg

1466-heading-for-penrith_after repaint.jpg

WHERE IS IT NOW?
This handsome coach was originally built as transport for the famous Fodens Motor Works Brass Band. It was eventually sold to Rhyl Football Club and repainted in all-over white livery. Last rumoured to be with travellers in Mid-Wales, but according to DVLA, it has been untaxed since April 1989 at which point it would be just ten years old. Does it still exist?

Who were the premium double decker builders before the foreign invasion .

ramone:

All of them could be classed as premium makes in the double decker market, so in alphabetical order: - AEC, Atkinson, BMMO, Bristol, Crossley, Daimler, Dennis. Foden, Guy, Leyland

Ribble Leyland Atlantean with bodywork by Eastern Coachworks at Lowestoft.
This bus has just left the Ribble bus station at Skelhorne Street, Liverpool,
and is going up Copperas Hill on its way to Southport on route 300.
The building on the left is the Adelphi Hotel, and the building at the rear is
Lewiss department store. The bronze statue on Lewiss building is a naked
man, stood on the prow of a ship, and is sometimes known as “Willy Lewis”,
all of his tackle is on view. :open_mouth: :slight_smile: :wink: March 24th 1984.
Picture courtesy of Dan, Bootle Forum.

gingerfold:

ramone:

All of them could be classed as premium makes in the double decker market, so in alphabetical order: - AEC, Atkinson, BMMO, Bristol, Crossley, Daimler, Dennis. Foden, Guy, Leyland

Leyland Bus should have been seperated from BL

Ray Smyth:

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:

1466 now:

Chris, I learned only recently that 1466 had been cut down to single deck, and it looks better
than I imagined it would. Where is it now, and is it on the rally circuit ? Cheers, Ray.

It belongs to a hospitality company in Whitchurch, Hants, 'and isn’t used for passenger carrying, I don’t think.

I saw it, entirely by chance, late one night about 3 months ago - belting up the A34 at Whitchurch: it must have been absolutely flat out, and sounded it. It looked quite smart, considering, and that would be the first time that I saw it since it was at Frenchwood, as the last Burlingham PD2 on the fleet.

By the way, are you sure that your photo of 1466 and 1470 was as late as 1974? I thought that they had finished by then, although it’s a long time ago now and I forget. Gerald will know when it left Ribble. I particularly remember 1466 because it was the last one, and I liked the look of those bodies. 1470 was an occasional school run performer too, I think, but both were based in Preston at that time, c.1970/1