British road Services

A Peter Davies photo of a BRS AEC MK5 Mammoth Major in Briton Ferry Steel colours.I’m not sure if this was a Swansea depot motor.

Chris Webb:
A Peter Davies photo of a BRS AEC MK5 Mammoth Major in Briton Ferry Steel colours.I’m not sure if this was a Swansea depot motor.

Thats a South Wales number plate Chris,so you are probably right.
Cheers Dave.

adr:
Just a random pic for the momories, nice old Thornycroft!

When I first started driving wagons in the 50s the firm I worked for Baxters Road Services Quayside Newcastle on Tyne, had two Ex BRS, Thornys, BEG.506 &BEG571 both from Peterbrough, they had narrow bodies, something to do with brick haulage,.The both had AEC Engines, BEG 506, Had to be replaced, so they fitted a 9.6.Thorny engine, & what difference compared to the 7.7 AEC, I drove BEG.506. For a while performed very well, 8 wheel brakes too. but hand brake was useless, allways had a wedge in the cab. It ended its days belonging to a showman, Happy good old days, Larry

This picture shows a typical early BRS (Kidlington) depot at the early nationalization stage when they had to run the old acquired private fleets -all sorts of pre war and wartime WD types- the fleet came from local operators and supplemented the existing depot of Tommy Mileham haulage. It took quite a time to get new vehicles to replace the old crp —Toshboy

BRS Kidlington.jpg

On the left is a Ford I learned to drive in,petrol V8 & far right is a Morris my Dad also owned -suicide doors & a Saurer diesel engine.

It’s gone a bit quiet on here, so I’ve added a few before the end of the year. Happy New Year to you all!

e1988.jpg

Does anyone remember a then young fella called George Shackleton? He drove for BRS from either Leeds depot or more probably Bradford Depot during the later 1950’s and early 1960’s? He later drove for M & R in Bradford and then finished his driving career with James Pickups (Bradford). He recently passed away aged well over 70 and worked up until about a year before his passing. The stories he’s told me about the others drivers and the jobs they had to do were at times mind blowing. He used to run to Liverpool Docks a lot and he had many a tale about crossing Shap.

Anyone have any memories of George?

Def worth putting on here :wink: :sunglasses: , for Northampton people the AEC engined Seddon driven by Bert like my dads was from the Lincoln Rd depot ( behind the Bus garage ) & theres some good shots of it driving through st james to J16 of the M1
eafa.org.uk/catalogue/204887

adr:

These motors are restored by the Nield brothers of Manchester. They will be appearing at BRS64 at the Lincoln Farm Cafe, Meriden on Sunday 15th July (an antidote to the Olympics).
Have any of you old BRS men visited my website britishroadservices.talktalk.net/index.html

harry:
On the left is a Ford I learned to drive in,petrol V8 & far right is a Morris my Dad also owned -suicide doors & a Saurer diesel engine.

& next to the Ford is the same model Bedford I used to drive to Spits Market when I was seventeen.

marshman:

adr:

These motors are restored by the Nield brothers of Manchester. They will be appearing at BRS64 at the Lincoln Farm Cafe, Meriden on Sunday 15th July (an antidote to the Olympics).
Have any of you old BRS men visited my website britishroadservices.talktalk.net/index.html

Hello marshman do you have any memories from the BRS depot at ackworth it was at Ackworth transports yard during the nat years then ATC took it back
over when nat sold it back ,you could see the old faded sign that was painted on the wall and i knew some old hands that work for BRS Wilf steverson,johnny rouse all dead and gone now just wondered if it tickles the old grey cells

Sorry I don’t know the names you mention. I am from the south. Hampstead, Kentish Town, Grays. Later with Morton’s (BRS)
I have a memory that Ackworth Transport got ■■■■■■■ with Mileham and Onward. Their motors used to be in the old Mileham yard at Purfleet.
We are all getting long in the tooth and thin on the ground.
Bob

Found these in a magazine!

adr:
Found these in a magazine!

That Vulcan artic outside the Silver Link Kincardine Bridge is from Scunthorpe BRS,I’ll bet that driver were ready for a brew!!

Chris

Ha Ha! There’s drivers & there’s screwdrivers, sadly today there are more of the latter :cry:
Regards
Chris

Guy2.jpg

robroy:

That motor is from my old depot at middlemore rd. Smethwick, on contract to Jag/Rover/Triumph which later all came under the umbrella of Unipart. Probably delivering somewhere out in Mid Wales, those bodyshells were a nightmare to carry on top of a load and would easiliy blow off the top when you took the ropes off to unload. The large cases on the back of the trailer normally carried the one piece bonnet/ front end of E type Jags.
The 40ft single axle trailers were an absolute pig to reverse in small garages or turning in small rural towns with the axle right at the back end, IIRC that particular Guy had a 220 ■■■■■■■ and would fly with such a light load perhaps 4t. tops.

Just been back to page 1 and saw that Frenchy worked at Southampton so I 've put on a few from Portswood Road and Regents Park Road. Taken May 1960

e2272d.jpg

e1930.jpg

Mention of Regent’s Park Road reminded me of Bob Hampson the foreman and his “squeeze” Mrs Davis who ran the digs up the road and charged three hapence for a second cup of tea with your evening meal.

Here’s a couple from Norfolk, possibly Swaffham or Kings Lynn.