British road Services

harry_gill:
hiya,
Bewick was in Hong Kong in 1954 remember the trams was there then but i doubt they would have been ex Glasgow corporation in those days, and while we’re on why not put overhead cables along motorways and electrify the road haulage industry after all the modern stuff runs in convoy nothing able to overtake bit like the boring formula one the first one in front stays there, not like the old days when stuff used to pass each other you can’t beat a bit of dicing, i think in this day and age i would be bored silly with all that power and speed capability sitting there at less than 60 mph it would drive me crazy.
thanks harry long retired.

Honestly H they were ex Glasgow corperation as they had plaques on them stating their past history !! I agree with you about your other comments so what about setting half the Formula 1 cars off one way round and the other half the other way ---- that would make for an interesting race at least they would be able to claim they was earning their vast wages then !! Cheers Bewick

hiya,
Not disputing you Bewick but Glasgow was still running trams in 1957 when i started as a civilian driver and just thought that Hong Kong would’nt have been able to get hold of them until Glasgow had finished with them, obviously must have had some surplus to requirements but i haven’t been to that part of the world since 1954 and would most likely have been worse for wear when having my run ashore and the old trams was rattling past.

Hiya Chris,
Great picture,
Think I would have loaded that long column lying down :wink: :wink: :wink:

[/quote]
Ray

Wednesday night was another dead loss on the lottery, but lads if I pass away before I succeed, tip me on rubbish heap, and use my coffin, to paddle to Aussie to see Steve, one way or another, I will get you lads on the sea! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

flishflunk:
Hiya Chris,
Great picture,

Ray
[/quote]
:smiley:
That’s what I thought too Ray.They were a good tool in their day,I did miles in them MK3s - Penzance to Penrith,Plymouth to Perth,Peterhead to Peterborough,Maltby to Mablethorpe and Tewkwesbury to Teesside.
Are there any spare drawbar trailers at Ardwick,could do with one for this or Harry won’t take it out. :laughing:

flishflunk:
Hiya Chris,
Great picture,

Ray
[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . Sorry Ray, that must be Normans lorry with the Mark one C.B. aerial :wink: .

hiya,
Bet i’m wrong but the old AEC was a good age, according to the fleet No that pic was taken in about 1968 and she’d seen a bit of service by that time, but they was proper motors and would go on forever, hard work but dependable, you sure got your money’s worth out of them.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Bet i’m wrong but the old AEC was a good age, according to the fleet No that pic was taken in about 1968 and she’d seen a bit of service by that time, but they was proper motors and would go on forever, hard work but dependable, you sure got your money’s worth out of them.

I don’t know where FF depot was but its a B’ham number plate, they were a regular sight in the midlands hauling steel.

Chris Webb:

flishflunk:
Hiya Chris,
Great picture,

Ray

:smiley:
That’s what I thought too Ray.They were a good tool in their day,I did miles in them MK3s - Penzance to Penrith,Plymouth to Perth,Peterhead to Peterborough,Maltby to Mablethorpe and Tewkwesbury to Teesside.
Are there any spare drawbar trailers at Ardwick,could do with one for this or Harry won’t take it out. :laughing:
[/quote]
Hiya Chris, here’s a few courtesy of Manchester libraries. Harry can pick any one of them :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

But we don,t want to give him one of those now do we, we know how much Harry likes four in line and Scammell couplings,so hows about this one.

Trailer IIRC was something like 14 foot long, Scammell coupling and single wheels (not super singles).
The load is about 9 tons or so, but Harry won,t be over loaded because it,s a 6 ton unit and a 6 ton trailer :wink: :wink: and that makes it 12 ton :confused:

Ray

Hiya Steve, silly me, I thought Norman was delivering a Light house to the Isle of Man :blush: :blush: :blush:

hiya,
Can’t put a depot to the FF fleet identification letters, but that formation was introduced in the 60s i remember the change being made, and the AEC must have been born in the mid 50s so i reckon it must be 10 or 12 years old in that pic and still earning it’s keep and still looking like a proper working motor.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Can’t put a depot to the FF fleet identification letters, but that formation was introduced in the 60s i remember the change being made, and the AEC must have been born in the mid 50s so i reckon it must be 10 or 12 years old in that pic and still earning it’s keep and still looking like a proper working motor.

Hi Harry,“VP” was a Birmingham reg so I reckon it would be the West Midlands division.I’ve seen Dunstable depot motors with that FF code,both with Leicester regs.Dunstable was moved to West Midlands division in 1971 and then I think those codes changed again when BRS went to North East,North West etc.
I used to have an Ian Allan BRS book when I were a lad with all the codes in but that book’s long gone :laughing:

To move our lighthouse in one piece, would be near impossible, to high to go under bridges and too long to get around corners. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hiya,
What you talking about Norm, get the thing in the cab man, you know what Wynn’s used to say you make it we’ll move it, they said it, mean’t it and went ahead and did it the impossible is done immediately, miracles take a bit longer.

well norman, I WAS going to suggest we lay your lighthouse on its back on long trailer, but I know its silly cause we don’t know if the door is at the front or at the back of the lighthouse, and if I have to come and move it I’d get confused. doesn’t take a lot. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

jimmy m:
well norman, I WAS going to suggest we lay your lighthouse on its back on long trailer, but I know its silly cause we don’t know if the door is at the front or at the back of the lighthouse, and if I have to come and move it I’d get confused. doesn’t take a lot. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Don’t worry jimmy,I’ll get Scunthorpe BRS to shift it. :smiley:

hiya,
Lucky Scunny, I used to do concrete motorway bridge sections with an octopus and a bog standard Dyson trailer,Scunthorpe’s set up looked a lot better and more stable than we had but we managed as would any proper red and ruster and unlike scunny we was still able to get a re-load at only a couple of tons less than normal, two “swivels” and 4 tons on the pup and and a full load on the motor, happy days.

Chris, that is no good, you would need at least twenty of those lorry’s, it is not like your pimple on the Isle of Man, if it was to fall towards the motorway, you would find it difficult to deliver to Homebase. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

it cant be that hard to move Norman, after all it is a LIGHThouse. chris can I borrow your coat? :smiley: :smiley: I used to be of sound mind before I stummbled on you guys. the van with the square wheels is coming to get me :grimacing: :grimacing:

Norman Ingram:
Chris, that is no good, you would need at least twenty of those lorry’s, it is not like your pimple on the Isle of Man, if it was to fall towards the motorway, you would find it difficult to deliver to Homebase. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OK Norman,I’ll send a fleet of these in,I know the owner so I’ll ring him now. :smiley:

Talking of leethouses (as they’d say in Sheffield/Barnsley :smiley: ) I was down the south of the IOM saturday just to make sure Chicken Rock lighthouse was still there.Only 144 ft high with a 13 mile range.Flashes every 5 seconds :laughing: - must be a joke there somewhere.

Chris Webb:

Norman Ingram:

OK Norman,I’ll send a fleet of these in,I know the owner so I’ll ring him now. :smiley:

Talking of leethouses (as they’d say in Sheffield/Barnsley :smiley: ) I was down the south of the IOM saturday just to make sure Chicken Rock lighthouse was still there.Only 144 ft high with a 13 mile range.Flashes every 5 seconds :laughing: - must be a joke there somewhere.

Hi Chris,
What are you smuggling in with all those containers. :question:
Cheers Dave.