Brexit , borders and lorries

Franglais:
The best we can hope for now is a deal with our nearest neighbours, and biggest trade partners, similar to that of a minor European trader, half a globe away?

Oh, you’re so cynical at times. We’ve got a great bunch of lads and lasses at Westminster sorting out the mess the EU have dumped on us. Just let them get on with it . . . and show a little faith.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54566897

Talks between the UK and EU over a post-Brexit trade agreement are “over”, Downing Street has said.

dexxy57:

hkloss1:
Thousands call for new Brexit ‘lorry park’ to be named after Nigel Farage

Thousands of people are calling for a huge new Brexit “lorry park” in Kent to be named after Nigel Farage.

A tongue-in-cheek petition wants the Brexit Party leader to be recognised for his contribution to the UK leaving the EU.

Meanwhile, portable toilets could be installed alongside roads in the Garden of England in case lorry drivers get stuck in congestion.

/

The same article suggested calling the portaloos the ‘Jacob Rees-Boggs’.
I quite like the sound of that.

That could adapted to all loos couldn’t it?
“Oi, mate! I need a pony’n’trap, where’s the Rees-Mogg?”
Parking areas frequented by people of dubious morals would be Farage-fun-parks I guess?

Monday in Parliament saw Gove explaining how less co-operation between the UK and EU security forces will be a good thing for us! Truly bizarre.

OwenMoney:
Four ferry firms sign £80m post-Brexit freight deal.

Four ferry firms have signed contracts with the Department for Transport (DfT) worth a combined £77.6m to provide freight services after Brexit.

Brittany Ferries, DFDS, P&O and Stena Line will between them provide extra capacity for the equivalent of 3,000 heavy goods vehicles a week.

The new contracts will ensure that vital medical supplies and other critical goods continue to be delivered “smoothly”, the DfT said.

Capacity will be added on quieter routes between the UK and mainland Europe, serving ports such as Felixstowe, Harwich, Hull, Newhaven, Poole, Portsmouth, Teesport and Tilbury.

No date set for a ferry to run outof Poole in 2021.? Not been a boat out of there for months.

We know what entering Portsmouth is like now, let alone 2021.

Reduced Northern Ireland Trade?
businessinsider.com/brexit- … on-2020-10
Uncertainty over any deal/no-deal etc.
The article is worth reading in it’s entirety, and the last line is telling.
Gove etc getting ready to shift the blame for the upcoming fiasco.

Franglais:

Interesting read. Not the most reassuring news if you live in N.I.
Gove etc getting ready to shift the blame? Seriously? Now you’re just having a laugh.

dexxy57:

Franglais:

Interesting read. Not the most reassuring news if you live in N.I.
Gove etc getting ready to shift the blame? Seriously? Now you’re just having a laugh.

Well I guess I’m found out in that last comment: since everything’s going to be perfect, there will be no blame to shoulder!

Not sure if it is relevant, due to brexit, it was on sky news here in Australia, that there may free movement of people between uk and here, thus truck drivers will be able to come work here visa free and vice versa.

If you have a Class one, here in NSW, you auto get a Class 2 and then take a test for class 1 [HC] and no medical etc, then if you want to drive B Doubles you sit a [MC] test and have a medical, no digital tachometer, good old fashioned log book,

Might be of interest to some and after 4 years you can apply for citizenship.

discoman:
Not sure if it is relevant, due to brexit, it was on sky news here in Australia, that there may free movement of people between uk and here, thus truck drivers will be able to come work here visa free and vice versa.

If you have a Class one, here in NSW, you auto get a Class 2 and then take a test for class 1 [HC] and no medical etc, then if you want to drive B Doubles you sit a [MC] test and have a medical, no digital tachometer, good old fashioned log book,

First round of trade negotiations started in July I think.
I guess anything is possible at this stage? Free movement of labour? Absolute ban on movement of labour?
Given the scale if trade would the Aussies offer such a prize? The UK is Aus’s 7th largest trade partner, we aren’t that important to them.
Aus is trying to get a closer deal with the EU whilst we are preparing for a worse one!
uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN26Q0N5
UK to Aus currently trades £18billion and that could increase by £900m.
The UK trades £675 billion with the EU.
A trade deal with Aus would be nice, but it isn’t worth much to either side.
Easier movement of labour? The Aussies are more likely to offer that to a bigger more important trade partner, surely? The EU trade about £111billion with Aus.
Isn’t it more likely the EU would get at least as favourable a deal as the UK?
As an aside I wouldn’t trust Sky News Aus too much. A different beast to Sky News UK.

Franglais:

discoman:

I guess anything is possible at this stage? Free movement of labour? Absolute ban on movement of labour?
Given the scale if trade would the Aussies offer such a prize? The UK is Aus’s 7th largest trade partner, we aren’t that important to them.
Aus is trying to get a closer deal with the EU whilst we are preparing for a worse one!
Easier movement of labour? The Aussies are more likely to offer that to a bigger more important trade partner, surely? The EU trade about £111billion with Aus.
As an aside I wouldn’t trust Sky News Aus too much. A different beast to Sky News UK.

I think, I have to trust Sky New Australia, when I am sitting on my couch and minister for immigration states, we are looking at free trade and free movement with the UK…

I think I would rather trust our news then biased uk news, living in Australia, and now a citizen.

DafT here in Australia are welcoming a trade agreement and our PM Scott Morrison is not moving heaven and earth to get a trade deal with the EU indeed Australia seem are not keen on the EU.

we are looking at the canzuk agreement which means the UK get an invite into the TPP agreement here in Oceania…

Might well be 7th largest, but that’s under EU rules not under the UK and our rules. More to trade than just cheap EU tat from EU countries. … plenty of fresh fruits, meats , sugar, allot, iron , minerals etc … that some you only find here like mines in northern QLD wiepa etc.

It’s, a fact that the UK and Australia have more in common then either do with the EU, I’m anti EU … and our trade minister and immigration minister has not ruled out free movement of British passport holders to come and live and work freely in Australia, personally I hope FM won’t happen …

dfat.gov.au/trade/agreement … ons/aukfta

There is one massive positive coming out of this which we as drivers should be shouting about to ensure that they are kept and improved for our benefit. The two Lorry Parks just off J10 a of the M20… and for that matter those being created elsewhere.

We have been complaining for years about inadequate parking facilities and now we are seeing these constructed in exactly the right place. When Brexit is done and things settle down we need to ensure that these new parking areas become what is so desperately needed: overnight/weekend parking areas with hotel accommodation exclusively taylored for lorry drivers, food and leisure outlets and possibly fuel and repair facilities on site.

discoman:

Franglais:

discoman:

I think, I have to trust Sky New Australia, when I am sitting on my couch and minister for immigration states, we are looking at free trade and free movement with the UK…

I think I would rather trust our news then biased uk news, living in Australia, and now a citizen.

DafT here in Australia are welcoming a trade agreement and our PM Scott Morrison is not moving heaven and earth to get a trade deal with the EU indeed Australia seem are not keen on the EU.

we are looking at the canzuk agreement which means the UK get an invite into the TPP agreement here in Oceania…

Might well be 7th largest, but that’s under EU rules not under the UK and our rules. More to trade than just cheap EU tat from EU countries. … plenty of fresh fruits, meats , sugar, allot, iron , minerals etc … that some you only find here like mines in northern QLD wiepa etc.

It’s, a fact that the UK and Australia have more in common then either do with the EU, I’m anti EU … and our trade minister and immigration minister has not ruled out free movement of British passport holders to come and live and work freely in Australia, personally I hope FM won’t happen …

Here are links to MediaBias/FactCheck on UK and Aus Sky News sites.
mediabiasfactcheck.com/sky-news/
mediabiasfactcheck.com/sky-news-australia/
Up to each of us to decide who we listen to, and how much weight we attach to their reporting.

Apart from language, what do the UK and Aus, share more than the UK and the EU?
About as many UK citizens live in the EU as in Aus. But Im finding it difficult to pin down any recent accurate figures. Things are changing quickly at the moment. With the UK the EU makes cars: "factories" effectively have one production line crossing the English Channel. We dont have that with Aus.
Fresh food, be it meat, salad, veg, and fruit is fresher if it comes here in 24hrs from EU, rather than what? 40 days on a ship, plus road each side?
Never mind the insanity of moving stuff half way across the globe when it can be sourced next door.

Here are Reuters on UK and Aus talks with the EU
uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita … KKBN26Q0N5

And is this link from Aus about FTA talks with the EU, much different from your link about FTA talks with the UK?
dfat.gov.au/trade/agreement … nvestment1.

(I`ve absolutely nothing against Australia, and am saying nothing against the country, nor the people. Nor am I against the EU.)

Franglais:

discoman:

Franglais:

discoman:

Here are links to MediaBias/FactCheck on UK and Aus Sky News sites.
mediabiasfactcheck.com/sky-news/
mediabiasfactcheck.com/sky-news-australia/
Up to each of us to decide who we listen to, and how much weight we attach to their reporting.

Apart from language, what do the UK and Aus, share more than the UK and the EU?
About as many UK citizens live in the EU as in Aus. But Im finding it difficult to pin down any recent accurate figures. Things are changing quickly at the moment. With the UK the EU makes cars: "factories" effectively have one production line crossing the English Channel. We dont have that with Aus.
Fresh food, be it meat, salad, veg, and fruit is fresher if it comes here in 24hrs from EU, rather than what? 40 days on a ship, plus road each side?
Never mind the insanity of moving stuff half way across the globe when it can be sourced next door.

Here are Reuters on UK and Aus talks with the EU
uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita … KKBN26Q0N5

And is this link from Aus about FTA talks with the EU, much different from your link about FTA talks with the UK?
dfat.gov.au/trade/agreement … nvestment1.

(I`ve absolutely nothing against Australia, and am saying nothing against the country, nor the people. Nor am I against the EU.)

Media bias fact check? Wth, the federal immigration MP when questioned stated there is going to be a free movement of people , not interested in the EU, as there will be no FM of people from the EU to Aus, as for fresh food, flights from Perth are 17 hours direct so are cargo planes , 23 hours straight from Sydney , and prob closer from Brisbane … shows your ignorance, there is a lot in common between the uK and Australia , still a governor who reports to the queen, som legal cases still can be heard in the London high courts, the laws are virtually the same. Even the NSW flag has the st George on it. Loads of items are moved in the worl,d it’s a global world the EU are not the be all and end all … quote as many outlets as you like I will believe federal MP when I hear it out of his mouth over any fact check site… the post was truck drivers could well be allowed to freely move to Australia with no visa requirements after brexit.

discoman:
Media bias fact check? Wth, the federal immigration MP when questioned stated there is going to be a free movement of people , not interested in the EU, as there will be no FM of people from the EU to Aus, as for fresh food, flights from Perth are 17 hours direct so are cargo planes , 23 hours straight from Sydney , and prob closer from Brisbane … shows your ignorance, there is a lot in common between the uK and Australia , still a governor who reports to the queen, som legal cases still can be heard in the London high courts, the laws are virtually the same. Even the NSW flag has the st George on it. Loads of items are moved in the worl,d it’s a global world the EU are not the be all and end all … quote as many outlets as you like I will believe federal MP when I hear it out of his mouth over any fact check site… the post was truck drivers could well be allowed to freely move to Australia with no visa requirements after brexit.

Fair comment about the basic law in UK and Aus.

But what you say here

discoman:
the federal immigration MP when questioned stated there is going to be a free movement of people

isn`t what you previously said

discoman:
it was on sky news here in Australia, that there may free movement of people between uk and here

And do you really think it is a good idea to fly lettuces and tomatoes 23hr across 17,000km?
Burning about 10kgs of fuel per km?
So, 170 tons of paraffin to move 130 tons of goods.
One aircraft for (airport to airport) 5 truck loads of food.

In recent years the UK has imported about £500,000,000 worth of fresh or chilled tomatoes for instance, annually. (Statista)
About £1 per kg wholesale very roughly, gives 500,000 tons a year. Just tomatoes…
It would take more than twenty 747s flying nonstop to keep the UK supplied with fresh tomatoes.

Edit.
By the by, Quantas owns 2 747s, and 11 other, freight aircraft. Half of them already on postal work.

Franglais:

discoman:

But what you say here

discoman:
the federal immigration MP when questioned stated there is going to be a free movement of people

discoman:
it was on sky news here in Australia, that there may free movement of people between uk and here

And do you really think it is a good idea to fly lettuces and tomatoes 23hr across 17,000km?

In recent years the UK has imported about £500,000,000 worth of fresh or chilled tomatoes for instance, annually. (Statista)
About £1 per kg wholesale very roughly, gives 500,000 tons a year. Just tomatoes…
It would take more than twenty 747s flying nonstop to keep the UK supplied with fresh tomatoes.

Edit.
By the by, Quantas owns 2 747s, and 11 other, freight aircraft. Half of them already on postal work.

The point was to let drivers know that it’s likely they could work in Australia visa free. I don’t care for the stats, even we get fruit from the USA and Mexico here in Australia. Point is, people were being informed of free movement. And what they can do to get a class one in nsw.

discoman:

Franglais:

discoman:

But what you say here

discoman:

discoman:

Edit.

The point was to let drivers know that it’s likely they could work in Australia visa free. I don’t care for the stats, even we get fruit from the USA and Mexico here in Australia. Point is, people were being informed of free movement. And what they can do to get a class one in nsw.

If you don’t care for the stats, or the figures, or the facts, you could carve out a fine career as a Sky News Aus journo, or as a politician, anywhere. [emoji3]
And if you could show any links to where to apply for free entry to Aus I expect many would appreciate it. Thanks.

Franglais:

discoman:

Franglais:

discoman:
Media bias fact check? Wth, the federal immigration MP when questioned stated there is going to be a free movement of people , not interested in the EU, as there will be no FM of people from the EU to Aus, as for fresh food, flights from Perth are 17 hours direct so are cargo planes , 23 hours straight from Sydney , and prob closer from Brisbane … shows your ignorance, there is a lot in common between the UK and Australia , still a governor who reports to the queen, some legal cases still can be heard in the London high courts, the laws are virtually the same. Even the NSW flag has the st George on it. Loads of items are moved in the world it’s a global world the EU are not the be all and end all … quote as many outlets as you like I will believe federal MP when I hear it out of his mouth over any fact check site… the post was truck drivers could well be allowed to freely move to Australia with no visa requirements after brexit.

But what you say here

discoman:

discoman:

The Hon Alan Tudge MP, of the Australian federal government, acting immigration minister, in place of (Hon David Coleman MP) not the MP of our state government. he was on sky news Aus,

Edit.

If you don’t care for the stats, or the figures, or the facts, you could carve out a fine career as a Sky News Aus journo, or as a politician, anywhere. [emoji3]
And if you could show any links to where to apply for free entry to Aus I expect many would appreciate it. Thanks.

discoman:

Seriously?

Logistics UK, ex FTA, talking to the Indie.
independent.co.uk/news/uk/p … 86830.html
More expensive food, vehicles, parts, transport, etc possible…
Gove says “turbulence”.
Is turbulence the new buzz word to replace “■■■■■■■■”?
Most important to us is lack of permits.