Breaking 7.5t limits

Lot’s of great replies here not many in support. I suggest you take up bowling or maybe there is a whist drive at the village hall ( carefull crossing the road ) and let the young people get on.

Well that went exactly as i expected it to :laughing:

Just had an email from the RMT. Norton st Philip has been declared ‘Blacked’ . There will be no more Heating oil deliveries, Refuse collections or Cesspit contents uplifts from this village. All deliveries to Norton st Philip postcodes will be held at central distribution hubs for collection. :open_mouth:

cav551:
Just had an email from the RMT. Norton st Philip has been declared ‘Blacked’ . There will be no more Heating oil deliveries, Refuse collections or Cesspit contents uplifts from this village. All deliveries to Norton st Philip postcodes will be held at central distribution hubs for collection. :open_mouth:

If Carlsberg did e mails… :smiley:

cav551:

No,you see as advised above its ok for the horrible nasty hgvs to use the village if it suits the villagers.

i’ve got a good idea to improve relations between us and them (so to speak) i think next year truckfest should be held there next year, and take a leaf out of the irish’s book and have a road run! what do ya think?

Lol I hope this keeps going as long as I hope it will do, the whole “stop the trucks” committee printing these answers off then shaking their heads and tutting at the replies, the picture in my mind is worth a thousand replies, wonder if the bin man in his much larger than a puddle jumper is reading this? Bugger that place [emoji28]

Wikipedia has this- presumably contributed by a local resident- to say about Norton St Philip…

Recently, measures have been taken to slow down the rat run traffic through the village by the installation of bollards designed to inhibit through-traffic mounting the pedestrian footpath.[8] Over recent years, the through-traffic utilising the village as a rat run had increased drastically, with the side effect being the increase in traffic incidents involving damage to the cars of the village’s inhabitants.[9]

It genuinely does not seem to occur to these inbred yokels that their village is on a road, and that the whole purpose of a road is to get from one place to another place, for a purpose. Presumably they are hoping to recreate some type of 1950’s Enid Blyton village. Well, good luck with that.

moondara:
Most deliveries are done in 7.5 t or less. Villagers don’t tend to get large freight delivered so that is a stupid response.

Not when you want 20t of gravel for your driveway it doesn’t.
You don’t have any power to know where the lorry is going. Stop curtain twitching and let the police do what we pay our taxes for. If you must know other peoples’ business join Neighbour Watch and enjoy some curtain twitching.

Talking of PCSOs stopping traffic for census purposes; Yes they can stop you but you don’t have to tell the clipboard carrier anything. Or do like I do and pre plan some nonsense to skew the census. :smiling_imp:

Just to point out that this section of the A366 isn’t weight restricted on hgv sat navs.

Today I had to travel between Winford (south of Bristol) to Chapmanslade (near Westbury).

I had travelled along the road between Chew Magna and the A37 once before, and made a mental note not to do it again, however today the alternative was going right back into Bristol turning a 10 minute drive into the best part of an hour, so thought sod it I know it’s do-able but a potential headache if you meet another artic through the narrow walled section. Fortunately got through only meeting a tractor and we squeezed by each other and was through the worst I thought…

So then carries on following the sat nav. Now before anyone starts about sat navs it’s a truck one and I’d had a look at the route and it was all A roads so you think (hope) it’ll be ok. Then gets to the turning for Norton St Philips (A366) and there is a weight limit sign which looked new (which told me it wasn’t weight limited until recently so probably ok…) the other option was to carry on blind on a route not planned and not knowing where the hell it went, essentially plowing on blind and not knowing if there was somewhere to pull over to have a look at a map.

I won’t say which option I chose, but in that split second you need to make a decision.

Lol , I used to do all those villages round there from portbury to midsomer Norton ,all round dundry an chew lake ect ,the worst village is that one with the give way to on coming vehicles and those bloody walls and the dip by the farm .

Punchy Dan:
Lol , I used to do all those villages round there from portbury to midsomer Norton ,all round dundry an chew lake ect ,the worst village is that one with the give way to on coming vehicles and those bloody walls and the dip by the farm .

I regularly do congresbury (a nursery down Winford rd (with the blue unsuitable for hgv sign)) which is crap, then cut through by the airport to Chew Valley nursery (which is also crap) but I’m used to it. Then usually come back out the same way and head off south to Devon. Today however my next drop was near Westbury. There’s no realistic (time wise) alternative but to go through Chew Magna to head east, but once on the A37 what’s the best route to Chapmanslade? I think it might be a regular thing now…

Ive never understood people like this if its that bad just move, I wonder what sort of response they were expecting on a truck forum?

The ref earlier on about some drivers being a handful is so true, I always remember one guys tipper we used to service and in the cab was a large note sayiing, DO NO GET OUT OF THE CAB! hae was as nice as pie to us but obviously if you flicked his switch :grimacing:

Then there was mr angry the scaffolder Im pretty sure he had real issues and wasnt the full ticket, he was always angry, angry at what im not sure.

Punchy Dan:

Sounds like Blagdon used to do Bath to WSM through there every week in an artic and you could easily meet another artic going into the Yeo Valley yoghurt place there. Banwell, further on, is similar but not as bad. Cheddar to Wells is unexpectedly tight in places if you meet something. Everyone moans about tight places and backwaters but I do find wide A roads boring usually.

Norton St Phillip has had a weight limit for a while but you could cut through the middle of the village without passing a weight limit sign so don’t know if they’ve wised to that particular loophole.

For Chapmanslade I would have said A36 Radstock then Frome. There’s an exemption on the weight limit through Frome if you’re overheight for the bridge on the main Radstock- Frome route. Alternatively, depending on traffic there might be a lot less in it time wise, than you would think to get back on the motorway in Bristol and do M4 junction 18 through Bath or possibly 17 if Bath is bad. I often used to take the shortest back route to Westbury, from Bristol, and other drivers would often beat me on the motorway.

just a question to the op.
are you fire engines and rubbish trucks under 7.5 t ■■

I don’t mind weight limits but I get p****d off with weight limits that only apply when it suits, if you want a weight limit then that’s fine but NO vehicles allowed over 7.5 ton, this includes fire engines, rubbish trucks, coaches and large buses, and all deliveries to homes and business.

hubman:
just a question to the op.
are you fire engines and rubbish trucks under 7.5 t ■■

I don’t mind weight limits but I get p****d off with weight limits that only apply when it suits, if you want a weight limit then that’s fine but NO vehicles allowed over 7.5 ton, this includes fire engines, rubbish trucks, coaches and large buses, and all deliveries to homes and business.

A Fire Appliance can average 12-16 ton, fully kitted up, water, kit, crew etc. Are you seriously suggesting an appliance responding to an emergency should take the long route round to a job so as to avoid a weight limit?? Seriously?? God forbid that it was your house on fire, with your family inside, you would still expect them to take the long route around to avoid a (zb)ing weight limit!!! :unamused:

That is the most stupid suggestion I have ever read on these forums. (zb) :unamused:

The OP first posted 20 months ago so you don’t really expect him to answer now do you ■■ Probably sitting in an old folks home and not even remembering what he had for breakfast today …

This post is a good one, retired old sods out plucking the weeds complaining about trucks passing through. Nothing better to do with there time but group together with sticks and stones and pull wagon drivers over. Lorry companies pay £1000 plus for road tax so when your roads are trashed ask the government to deal with it.

How strange to stumble across this thread today. I was in Norton st Philip today in a 18 tonner delivering gas oil to a farm. Would be a shame if these villages didn’t want trucks driving through. They wouldn’t get any heating oil. 99% of my work involves going through weight limits and width limits and ‘not suitable for hgv’ signs.