7.5T wieight limits

Hi everybody, got caught taking a short cut thru limit.
Timed photos from one end to the other, no defence , fair cop, except it isn’t the cops is it? It’s trading standards, now I know they can fine me but can they endorse licence ?
None of the paperwork has any mention of police involvement , all trading standards office.
Your thoughts please gentlemen
And ladies
Jim

JFC999:
Hi everybody, got caught taking a short cut thru limit.
Timed photos from one end to the other, no defence , fair cop, except it isn’t the cops is it? It’s trading standards, now I know they can fine me but can they endorse licence ?
None of the paperwork has any mention of police involvement , all trading standards office.
Your thoughts please gentlemen
And ladies
Jim

It’s not an endorsement offence. Fine and a tap on the wrists at most. Take it you took a short cut ?.

Yes as said took short cut, won’t do it again your honour
Jim

JFC999:
Jim

Nothing through the post in 14 days, don’t sweat. it’s discressionary.(sorry, spelling :blush: )…

simon1958:

JFC999:
Jim

Nothing through the post in 14 days, don’t sweat. it’s discressionary.(sorry, spelling :blush: )…

Christ read the post will you :unamused:
TIMED PHOTOS

I made a wong decision and turned into a weight limit in Chigwell on Gravel Lane, realised and couldnt get out of it so followed it down the end, a letter from Essex Trading Standards informing me ofa possible £2000 fine. An explanation letter and a forthright apology from me for breaching the limit resulted in no action taken on that occasion.
It is worth a try mate!

Twoninety88:
I made a wong decision and turned into a weight limit in Chigwell on Gravel Lane, realised and couldnt get out of it so followed it down the end, a letter from Essex Trading Standards informing me ofa possible £2000 fine. An explanation letter and a forthright apology from me for breaching the limit resulted in no action taken on that occasion.
It is worth a try mate!

Done that mate, just got paperwork back to say I’m getting done !
I shall apologise again and see if I can get away with a smaller fine.
Jim

I went into a 7.5t limit once. Didn’t get caught or anything. The sign said 7.5t limit 1 miles a head so I assumed I’d be able to turn off before it. I couldn’t do other than into a tight residential street so thought screw that I’ll go into the limit. It’s all well and good handing out fines for it and saying we should know better blah blah blah but sometimes when your trying to find somewhere you can end up in one and not be able to turn round to get back out of it. Problem is if they cut any slack and gave us a chance people would just abuse it and claim they couldn’t turn round every time they wanted to take a short cut.

Friday afternoon yard chat today went to the unit in a 7.5 limit. I think not some thought OK.

I am viritually sure you cant. 1 of the guys argument was it didn’t display M.G.W on the sign as a bridge is in the limit.

For those that know it’s Swarkestone bridge near derby.

A few years back a firm from huthwaite area went over swarkestone bridge in a 7.5 ton towing a trailer with mini digger on got done 2 k

I won’t do it. I’m pretty ■■■■ sure you can’t.

red7jase:
Friday afternoon yard chat today went to the unit in a 7.5 limit. I think not some thought OK.

I am viritually sure you cant. 1 of the guys argument was it didn’t display M.G.W on the sign as a bridge is in the limit.

Not sure what you/they are trying to say here, but the signs at Swarkestone are pretty clear - It’s a 7.5T restriction “except for access” (which means access to premises within the restriction).

Roymondo:

red7jase:

Not sure what you/they are trying to say here, but the signs at Swarkestone are pretty clear - It’s a 7.5T restriction “except for access” (which means access to premises within the restriction).

Basically it’s a big short cut back to our yard when returning solo from one of our customers. Some drivers think it’s OK as the unit weigh’s less than 7.5 t

Not me though.

^^^^^ I reckon you’d find more units heavier than 7.5 tonne than lighter tbh.

red7jase:

Roymondo:

red7jase:

Basically it’s a big short cut back to our yard when returning solo from one of our customers. Some drivers think it’s OK as the unit weigh’s less than 7.5 t

Not me though.

Big slap on the wrist for going over that one :open_mouth:

Double weight limits annoy me, the ones that have a limit then another after about 2 miles. What’s the point? The B4070 Birdlip to Stroud is a good example. The first is off the A417 then there’s another one, why doesn’t one suffice? The same at the other end one near the Merrywalks centre and another half a mile up the hill. To deliver to Slad etc you need to turn into a single weight limit in Chalford/Brimscombe (A419) go upto Bisley along a narrower more unsuitable residential road and back down/up the Birdlip Road.
I’ve drawn the “approved” route onto my road atlas and Glos map but what chance to flip flops and limpers have around there?

Am I right in saying that I can take an 8w into a 7.5t limit “except for access” to get diesel but not if the limit is “except for loading”?

Looking on Google street view the sign seems to be of a black silhouette of a truck with 7.5 written in white. I understood this to be a reference to the permitted GVW. For an artic unit this would be 19ton for a 4 wheeler or more for a 6 wheeler, so they are prohibited. If the sign was a white circle, red border with the figures 7,5 in black this would refer to the actual weight of the vehicle wouldnt it? So a solo unit would probably be OK. [gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -signs.pdf](https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519129/know-your-traffic-signs.pdf) page 17. Im open to correction on that though.

Franglais:
If the sign was a white circle, red border with the figures 7,5 in black this would refer to the actual weight of the vehicle wouldnt it? Im open to correction on that though.

No - That would be a 7.5mph speed limit…

Sent using smoke and mirrors

Roymondo:

Franglais:
If the sign was a white circle, red border with the figures 7,5 in black this would refer to the actual weight of the vehicle wouldnt it? Im open to correction on that though.

No - That would be a 7.5mph speed limit…

Sent using smoke and mirrors

Correction accepted.