Bradford hauliers

Thats him and he drove a Ford Transcontinental which at the time stood out a bit

At that time he had a red TC and I had a blue one. I think that they were the only 2 TC’s in the Bradford area.
Never met him, but used to let on when I saw the truck.

M and R transport used to run Ford d series, red and yellow if IRC.
During the big strike a lot of their windscreen apparently got broken.
Whenever old Bradford hauliers get mentioned everyone remembers the likes of Fielders, A One and Henry Longs but rarely see any mention of the likes of R Dennison on Tong St, or Frank Obank of the same address.
Dennisons were doing Euro work in the VERY early 60’s with a couple of Mandators
Or any of the old wool hauliers such as C W &N Roe, CS Roe, Cliff Parrott etc

…and Mr Daynes

which Mr Daynes would that be?

Hiya… did sutcliff work for a firm called debb■■? i,ll bet stacks of us have sat at a table with him in the old days when you
sat and talked to another driver, the cafe,s was always full and not much seating space.
i think he did one of his dirty deeds in a block of flats i took the bricks to on Oak ave just off maningham lane
nr heaton.
John

No, he worked for Clarks (maybe Clarkes) if my memory is working
I think they were based around Shipley somewhere.

del949:

Thats him and he drove a Ford Transcontinental which at the time stood out a bit

At that time he had a red TC and I had a blue one. I think that they were the only 2 TC’s in the Bradford area.
Never met him, but used to let on when I saw the truck.

M and R transport used to run Ford d series, red and yellow if IRC.
During the big strike a lot of their windscreen apparently got broken.
Whenever old Bradford hauliers get mentioned everyone remembers the likes of Fielders, A One and Henry Longs but rarely see any mention of the likes of R Dennison on Tong St, or Frank Obank of the same address.
Dennisons were doing Euro work in the VERY early 60’s with a couple of Mandators
Or any of the old wool hauliers such as C W &N Roe, CS Roe, Cliff Parrott etc

…and Mr Daynes

which Mr Daynes would that be?

More info on Dennisons would be interesting Del,the Daynes i was refering to is Tony

LeeJ:

dreva:
do you remember m and r on spencer road,jpl crowes. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I remember M & R, red Volvo F10 and a fella called George Shackleton drove it. He used to drive for BRS in the 50’s

thanks for that thought i was imagining them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: jpl had white scanias.billy crowes was a yellow renault turboliner :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Anyone remember Clarkes Transport the had a depot in Bowling Back Lane Bradford, I used to backload smelter in th 60/70s off them for North Shields, Regards Larry.

How about some real old haulage firms,blyth and berwick, harris and page ,crows,service as the crow flies, mary atkinson ,g.b.hindle.all wool hauliers and all sadly now gone. But dont worry they ,ll all be in the book.

del949:
No, he worked for Clarks (maybe Clarkes) if my memory is working
I think they were based around Shipley somewhere.

yes it was clarks on canal road they was based they is a saviam parked up in bolton woods it belongs to the old mean dealer for them transcons and saviams the truck is still parked there to this day the saviam was the demo truck the man told me that sutcliff used to drive it when his was in for service and he drained the oil out of the gearbox one day to get home so he could top sum one dont no if that true the old saviam is still there parked up behind a garage in bolton woods ive been trying to buy it for 8 years

I remember Stanley rd motors being the dealer for Saviems but not for Fords.
Mine used to go to CD Bramall for any Ford work doing, but otherwise went to an independant garage.

I think the story re the gearbox oil is just that…a story.
Far easier and simpler ways to sabotage a truck.

info on R Dennison
used to be up Fairfield St off Tong St.
Ran several ERF A series, Green with black trim, Mandators red with white lettering right across the front saying “International haulage”.I think also a Leyland Octopus flat and a couple of Comet flats. A couple of Dennis 4 wheel tippers working out of Birkshill Gas works
Frank Obank , which was the same company ran Leyland, Albion, AEC 4 and 6 wheel tippers and a couple of Scamell 8 wheel conveyor bodied coal trucks. All green with black trim.
Also had Pearson and Moody coal tippers as well as Smith Parkinson and Cole coal tippers.
Altogether there must have been over 70 trucks of one kind or another.
The leylands etc were a mix of LAD and Ergomatic cabs

they mite of hired the saviam to clarks at the time just been to bolton woods the truck still there its needs a cab now its only done 30.000 miles

Re Crows as the crow flys it was actuall Crow Brothers Transport, originally from Greenside in Clayton then moved to Broom Street off Wakefield Road. They ran a fleet of Thames Traders, AEC 8 wheeler M and M’s (2) some of the Thames Traders were converted to twin steers, being primrose conversions approx 4 / 5. 4/5 six wheelers and the rest being 4 wheelers approx 14 motors in all this being mid 60’s period. Late 60’s early 70’s Ford D800’s Bedford Km’s AEC mark 5 tractor units, 2 Leyland Beavers, 1 Volvo F86. Work was usually wool, London, Liverpool and Hull. Work out of Magnate Joinery Keighley, Repton Foundry Bingley. In the very early days they also ran coaches and taxis out of Greenside, Clayton. The very early office was at the bottom of Listerhills Road next door to Lancaster and winters. I started work with Crows in 1964 and amongst the other drivers were George Fletcher, Tommy Parker, Tommy Davies, ■■■■ Turpin, Billy North, Lorry Morgan, Derek Lancaster, Keith Rastrick, Billy Crow, Keith Bell, John Sutcliffe, Clifford Burrows, Plastic Boots, (do you know him?) Tivvy (again name please) /Derek Butter (Iram), Plus my own brother Jack (Woody). Cant remember many moor, but brains cells deminishing.

They were a smart turned out fleet and looked pretty good when parked up on a weekend …all pointing downhill in case of flat batteries!
I still hear from Laurie Morgan from time to time.

Re del949 Reason Crows lorries were parked downhill on Wakefield Road was that was the designated parking area due to lack of space round by the offices but this could come in handy when they would not start up . Sometimes this did cause some fun whilst hooking up to a trailer and forgetting to put the hand brake on.

were abouts was crows on wakefield rd do u remember pat mccann well turned out fleet

they used to park on the spare ground opposite The Great Northern Hotel (I think thats the correct pub, or was it something like the Adolphous?) just above Bolling Rd and IIRC their warehouse/office was just behind the spare land up a bit of a bank.
Thinking of Wakefield Rd made me remember Swales transport (RJ Swales?) just below Dudley Hill and Atlas Express on Feather St, also Tanks and Drums in Bowling Back Lane.

ramone:

kr79:
Don’t know who he worked for but I’m assuming we are both talking about Peter Sutcluffe. Wouldn’t have wanted to lend him some tools you could have been bang in trouble.

Thats him and he drove a Ford Transcontinental which at the time stood out a bit ,apparently the other drivers used to call him the ripper due to him being interviewed about the murders on a couple of occasions .

Wasn’t there a picture in the sun with an orange seddon 4 wheeler pictured in the entrance to the yard, then after that they put in a picture of his orange Transcon…

del949:
they used to park on the spare ground opposite The Great Northern Hotel (I think thats the correct pub, or was it something like the Adolphous?) just above Bolling Rd and IIRC their warehouse/office was just behind the spare land up a bit of a bank.
Thinking of Wakefield Rd made me remember Swales transport (RJ Swales?) just below Dudley Hill and Atlas Express on Feather St, also Tanks and Drums in Bowling Back Lane.

ye remember them t&d and newplan furniture and art glass clive coalman he ran over water

bradfordlad9999:

del949:

ye remember them t&d and newplan furniture and art glass clive coalman he ran over water

Coleman did a good bit of work for the glass factory on Ripley Road, who had quite a fleet at one time.

axletramp:

bradfordlad9999:

del949:

Coleman did a good bit of work for the glass factory on Ripley Road, who had quite a fleet at one time.

I worked for Colemans and did quite a lot of work out of Solaglass on Ripley Road ,Chris Jackson eventually took over the contract then Reg Naylors jumped in then it closed down AWM now own the land

What about bradfords london dpt back church lane,Beatys,raymonds,dog-truck,johnny balls office.Round the corner in Aldgate the RED LION & LONG BAR pictures on mile end rd the good old days