Bookworms

Currently reading “The Manipulated Man” by Esther Vilar.

A slightly tongue in cheek, but generally serious book explaining how western men are nothing more than wage slaves exploited by, and working for women so women can lead comfortable lives, and how men are duped and conditioned into being happy to do so.

Reading about the rebuilding of Japan after WW2 - getting businesses and the economy growing again amongst the ruins.

steviespain:

manalishi:

steviespain:
Favourite book of all time: Shogun by James Clavell.
I try and read it once a year. Every time I read it i discover some hidden meaning, something different, something I hadn’t clocked before. A truly magnificent book.
I am currently o the lookout for a copy to read again.
ALL of Clavells books are masterpieces though.

Getting all melvynn braggish :slight_smile: how would you distill its essence.Always remember this one escaped my childhood curiosity in favour of Benchleys,Jaws as I perused my late dads book shelf?Sven Hassel loomed large too.

I doubt I have the vocabulary necessary to fully describe this book to its potential.

It is full of discovery, of how the Japanese mind works, and the clash of cultures between Medieval England mindset and the nationalistic, proud to the point of reckless stupidity, Japanese warrior caste.
He explains what is happening, from both sides, what people are thinking, why they are thinking that way, and does it i a way that really draws you in.
If you haven’t read it…go git it. Thank me later :slight_smile:

I saw Jaws, the film, when I was i Canada. The week after I was in the Belizean keys earning how to scuba dive. Wasn’t too happy, as I recall. :smiley:
Got into the Sven Hassell books when my sis gave me Wheels of Terror on my 20th B’day. Yeah, a good read. Liked em.

Now go buy Shogun :smiley:

May do.Certainly one for consideration.My take on the Japs is informed by Tarrantinos masterpiece,Kill Bill 1&2,they like slicing things I notice and their women make weird noises during coitus.Peculiar breed it seems.Good motorcycle makers though.

I only go slightly higher of brow with Orwell,especially Down and Out in Paris And London.Gruesomely compelling and I’ve dabbled randomly with Aristotles more accessible stuff,Ethics is good.Those Greeks sure were onto something.

Geopolitics is my thing anything by John Rappaport,John Hamer,Eustace Mullins and yes (whisper it) David Icke,especially his 9/11 analysis.

The most challenging book,but also fabulously written,would be “The most Dangerous Book In The World” by SK Bain,he makes a case about 9/11 being a satanic/masonic ritual,an ode to Alistair Crowley with incredible illustrations,ie the boat carrying the remains from the towers were emblazoned with a large banner with the large words,Fresh Kills,apparently a nearby waste disposal site up the Hudson river.A tad tactless maybe?
But that’s how high level masonry rolls,they like to signal their ‘achievements’ all within sight of Osiris,a masonic gift from French Masons…statue of Liberty.This book is seriously interesting.

Wheel Nut:
Edith Eger - The Choice

Wotsit abart…wotsit abart■■?

manalishi:
I only go slightly higher of brow with Orwell,especially Down and Out in Paris And London.Gruesomely compelling

If you like that, you’ll like the following:

The Road to Wigan Pier, George Orwell
The People of the Abyss, Jack London
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, Robert Tressell

They’re all on the same theme. If I had to recommend one to you, I’d recommend the Ragged Trousered Philantropists, as it’s a thoroughly depressing enlightener into what we (the workling classses) are, and how societies are politically and socially structured in ways to benefit only the very few.

manalishi:

Wheel Nut:
Edith Eger - The Choice

Wotsit abart…wotsit abart■■?

She was in Auswitz and watched her mother go to the showers and this German guard smiled and pushed her through another gate to survival, she started to study people and has some really profound ideas, light bulb stuff.
It’s on Kindle

the maoster:
Currently filling the Jack Reacher shaped void in my life with an author by the name of Mark Dawson and his John Milton series. If you are a motorcyclist looking to improve technique (which you should always be attempting) the classic Twist of the Wrist by Kieth Code is always worth a look.

Never have a Jack Reacher gap Maoster , go back to the first one you read , and start again .
Jim
Ps Stupid spellcheck wants to print you as " master " , no comment.

ezydriver:

manalishi:
I only go slightly higher of brow with Orwell,especially Down and Out in Paris And London.Gruesomely compelling

If you like that, you’ll like the following:

The Road to Wigan Pier, George Orwell
The People of the Abyss, Jack London
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, Robert Tressell

They’re all on the same theme. If I had to recommend one to you, I’d recommend the Ragged Trousered Philantropists, as it’s a thoroughly depressing enlightener into what we (the workling classses) are, and how societies are politically and socially structured in ways to benefit only the very few.

Yep thanks for that I did read Wigan pier and ragged trousered philanthropist sits on my shelf,unread,beckoning me as does Juddian recommendation,The Strange Death Of Europe.

Will def get round to R.T.P,when I’m released from the spell of the Mossads caperings.Ta again.

JFC999:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You are correct Jim, it’s always worth going back and re reading them? Have you read any of the Diane Capri Hunt for Jack Reacher books? I’m certain that she actually is Lee Child using a pen name.

the maoster:

JFC999:

You are correct Jim, it’s always worth going back and re reading them? Have you read any of the Diane Capri Hunt for Jack Reacher books? I’m certain that she actually is Lee Child using a pen name.

Me & you are of a like mind Maoster , I’ve just read 1 to 18 on the Kindle plus 4 more from the library twice over . Now feeling at a loss like an addict without a fix , if the Diana Capri are that good I think I’ll try some of those next .

the maoster:

JFC999:

Interesting , speak to me of this Diane Capri bird ,is she 6’ 5" and weigh 250 ?
Jim

manalishi:

One of the best books I’ve ever read, and definitely far better than Orwell’s better-known books, 1984, Animal Farm etc.

Current book in my holdall is “The Incredible Voyage” by Tristan Jones, haven’t started on it yet tho.

JFC999:

the maoster:

JFC999:

Interesting , speak to me of this Diane Capri bird ,is she 6’ 5" and weigh 250 ?
Jim

Yup, just like that well known ex WWW wrestler turned actor, the man mountain known as Tom Cruise! :smiley:

The Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo is well worth a read for a bit of ‘Scandi noir’

Mazzer2:
The Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo is well worth a read for a bit of ‘Scandi noir’

I`d agree with you about Harry Hole. Good reads.
In the detective line of things, the Rebus books by Ian Rankin are good, and a surprisingly competent good TV series. (so many TV shows seem to leave out so much, and become too “lightweight”?).

Surprised no one has mentioned Iain Banks (aka Iain M Banks).
His novels cover a wide range of subjects, and are never (IMO) predictable.

Im currently reading "Death In The Afternoon" by Ernest Hemingway. The subject, for those who arent familiar with it, is Spanish bull fighting. Controversial enough subject for all sorts of reasons. Hemingway is also a fascinating character, and Im aware of his history, so when he describes some Toreadors as "cowards" it takes some "looking at". Hemingways fiction is largely based on his own experiences: as an American red cross volunteer in WW1, and as a correspondent in the Spanish civil war and in WW2.

Harry Monk:

manalishi:

One of the best books I’ve ever read, and definitely far better than Orwell’s better-known books, 1984, Animal Farm etc.

Current book in my holdall is “The Incredible Voyage” by Tristan Jones, haven’t started on it yet tho.

I have read all of Tristan Jones’ books in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them. Then I read someone questioning whether he was “embroidering” his exploits and pulling his accomplishments to pieces. What the truth is I couldn’t say, but he does tell a good tale. How tall they are is something you have to decide for yourself.
At the moment I am working my way through Harry Hunsicker’s books. The first one I read was when I was in Oz about 8 years ago called Still River, which got me hooked as I hadn’t come across him over here, but he seems more readily available now.
Les.

John Grisham they are all great reads

nightline:
John Grisham they are all great reads

Yep, agreed.