What ya read recently? (reprise)

Always like to keep up with whats hot & whats not.
Ill kickstart with Bill Brysons latest offering “The Road to Little Dribbling.” Usual quirky, quality stuff from the man himself. It plays catch up on his “Notes From a Small Island” of twenty odd years ago, and describes how England has changed during this time, from his American immigrant`s perspective.
A nice, gentle and amusing read.

Also just read “The Martian” by Andy Weir (2011) Mind boggling, scientifically accurate and totally immersive. Waited until id read this before watching the Matt Damon big screen version. Although the film is a fair stab, it in no way matches up to the book. Somewhat heavier reading than Bills travelogue, but superbly written.

Your turn…

being an avid reader my entire life,then the 1st day I discovered tinterweb,was the last day I read a book…I don’t buy newspapers,and don’t watch live tv.im not interested in politics or anything other than what affects me in my own personal life.my entire knowledge of topical world affairs is 1,whatevers on the front page of a newspaper when im in a petrol station,2,if theres an old paper lying about on a ferry or airport,and 3,links from the guff that’s posted on here…how sad is that?..if you read an ld paper from 10,20,30 years ago,its all the same mince,you just need to swap Syria for Iraq,etc.try it and see if your raking your shed/attic etc,it just reads the same rubbish. :slight_smile:

I’ve just finished a book by an ex inmate of Alcatraz, now started reading Guy Martins autobiography…

I don’t read any where near as much as I used don’t seem to get the time. But just finished Ted Simon’s " Jupiter’s Travels " which his account of his motorcycle trip around the world in the eighties. it’s one of those books I’ve been meaning to read for ages and only just got around to it.

Just read Brendan Behans’ Borstal Boy (yet again) and am now on 'The end of Mr Y ’ by Scarlet Thomas. Many of the books I read are recommended by our children ( all over 30 now) especially the post grad and Librarian ones.

Not read it yet but meant to be right good

Devil’s Creek by Paul Maitrejean

I can’t sleep without reading so I have read loads of books…

Last Four Books
Time and Time Again - Ben Elton = 9 out of 10
The Martian - Andy Weir = 9 out of 10 (Also as per OP I am going to watch the film now that I have read the book)
The Accident - Linwood Barclay = 8 out of 10
Bricking It - Nick Spalding = = 7.5 out of 10

Currently Reading
Two Brothers - Ben Elton

Next Three To Read
Mr Mercedes - Stephen King
Backseat Bedroom: A concise guide to living in a car - Nick Andrew
Love You Dead (Roy Grace Book 12) - Peter James…Love the Roy Grace books, can’t wait to find out what happens to Sandy.

On the favourite list is Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks - Excellent book, one of the very few books that I have read twice.