Blackburn transport firms old & modern

240 Gardner:

shugg:

240 Gardner:

shugg:
I don’t notice Gilbraith`s TS Ltd recently in the news by being taken over by Pollock/Scotrans .

Ah, but I mentioned P & G Fogarty, which was the basis for Gilbraith Transtore :wink:

You learn something new every day , many thanks 240 Gardner .

My pleasure! Fogarty’s was the family business of Carl Fogarty, the motorcycle racer, and who lived in Tockholes as I recall. It was they who first set up that rail terminal (in the late 80s, I think). It was later acquired by Gilbraith Transport (not Tankers) from Accrington and who, by then, had dwindled to a very small operation from the large business it had once been.

I used to deliver reels of paper to Fogartys, They stored it for Crown at Potters Branch at Darwen, A much better tip I must say, I also reloaded with waste paper but had to go to Shirleys I think was the name to get weighed, Regards Larry.

chembro:
Ironfeild i think they was called had grey 6 wheeler erf s from accrington, bracewell are still going i think from accrington, Alan barker transport from altham, hoyle and dean accrington, i know its not Blackburn but they are/was from surrounding area.

Ironfield was in Clayton-le-Moors, and sold out many years ago to an outfit called Richmond Distribution - didn’t last long.

Allan Matthews Bracewell is still going, and is based in Dill Hall Lane, Church

Haven’t seen one of Hoyle & Dean’s green motors for a while, but they are somewhere in Accrington, I think

keep em coming guys. :slight_smile:

shirtbox2003:
keep em coming guys. :slight_smile:

Your wish is my command…

This was posted on here a few years ago so thanks to who ever posted it.

And thanks to whoever posted this.

And who could ever forget these lads contribution to the Northern transport industry. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Regards Steve.

Whoever designed the Hollands livery was a genius, it was unique and their vans were always very smartly turned out. Bedford was their preferred, and only marque, for many years. And the pies weren’t bad either. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

gingerfold:
Whoever designed the Hollands livery was a genius, it was unique and their vans were always very smartly turned out. Bedford was their preferred, and only marque, for many years. And the pies weren’t bad either. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember an article in a magazine about Holland’s, they always stripped the wings, bumper’s etc off of a new Bedford and greased all the bolt’s before reassembly to ensure a rapid turnaround in the event of accidental damage to them in service. We try to get their pies in Morrisons when we can, tasty! :wink:

Pete.

A firm that has been around for a few years, I first saw them in the early 70s when they loaded in the
quarry where I worked.

truckfing:

Aye that’s the name Shirleys, A bit of an awkward place to get in to get weighed the floor was allways very slippy & not much room to manouver with a 45 ft trailer on, The good old days long gone now sad to say, Regards Larry.

Literally 40 years ago when I was a drivers mate at PDM we used to go into Hollands collecting after the they had finished boning out the beef which came from locally and abroad. In 1978 when I started back at PDM as a driver that run was my first regular job, though nothing had changed at Hollands including most of the people. Next to where we loaded there was a full time van washer bloke who covered everything in de-greaser before making a start on what was then stil all Bedfords (TJ’s I think). When I worked elsewhere in 1982, I well remember the TM artic doing multi drop work round M/cr at various “Shopping Giant” stores and the friendly chap who drove it. Decade’s later when we started loading out of Hollands it was a suprise to see what I assume was the same trailer, being used as a static on the bay though when I last went a few months back for the first time in a couple of years, it had gone. The van fleet seems down to 3.5 tonnners and the place seemed a shadow of itself. Always a friendly bunch though.

gingerfold:

Yes they were Bedford TJs forward control lovely motors with coach built bodirs i remember . thank you Trevor .

Nice pic of Percliff truck.They went into liquidation late last year,dont know if they can be rescued.once bought a D800 tipper off him, before he went full time he worked at a builders yard in Blackburn,his first name was Brian,cant remember his last name.They had a good run but being in plant & tippers and the building job being jiggered this is what happens. :frowning: :open_mouth: :unamused:

Shame about Percliff, I hadn’t heard about it. This firm is still going as far as I know. The Volvo was ex Bowker.

I keep trying to post a comment about Ironfields and a link to CSH Transport but thi stupid ******forum keeps screwing it up.

I bet this one works though

Sod’s law Matamoras. Here’s a CSH to be going on with.

3rd time lucky.

Harry Haworth was my Uncle and TM at Ironfields in the late 60’s & 70’s, his son formed CSH.

I worked as second man and in the warehouse as a holiday job in the late 60’s.

truckfing:
Shame about Percliff, I hadn’t heard about it. This firm is still going as far as I know. The Volvo was ex Bowker.

Yep, Bowker 81… also owned by:

another one for collection.Just borrowed this Classic.

hist_docks.gif

Guesty44:
another one for collection.Just borrowed this Classic.

How about some more of your own, then?? :wink: