Any info on these old Beauties taken in Blackburn,Lancs

Anyone able to date or recognise these old dears? regard,s. jack. :unamused: :slight_smile:

shirtbox2003:
0Anyone able to date or recognise these old dears? regard,s. jack. :unamused: :slight_smile:

Surely Harry Gill is your man for that?? He’s probably in the photo!!

240 Gardner:

shirtbox2003:
0Anyone able to date or recognise these old dears? regard,s. jack. :unamused: :slight_smile:

I recall a firm in Blackburn called Northrop Industries Ltd, They made Chaside Loading Shovels, Could this be something to do with with this picture I wonder, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

240 Gardner:

shirtbox2003:

I recall a firm in Blackburn called Northrop Industries Ltd, They made Chaside Loading Shovels, Could this be something to do with with this picture I wonder, Regards Larry.

Did Northrop not make big four wheel tractors like the Muir Hill, Buzzer.

It’s outside the loom works in Blackburn (weaving looms not wiring looms!), which was a big factory in those days. As a very small boy 60 years ago i rode with Fred and Raymond Holden from Little Lever and they delivered looms in large packing cases to Liverpool Docks from there.

Buzzer:

Lawrence Dunbar:

240 Gardner:

shirtbox2003:

Did Northrop not make big four wheel tractors like the Muir Hill, Buzzer.

Hi Buzzer, they did four wheel drive conversions of ford tractors,similar to county and roadless models,ta Pete

If you google northrop blackburn, they did indeed merge or takeover chaseside and make loading shovels when the cotton industry went belly up. I think chaseside were ultimately taken over by JCB. All there if you google it, I did it yesterday and I have slept since then !! :smiley:

Ican give a full history of the Northrop,but these wagons loaded with looms are what I wanted info on, ie,makes,years owners if possible guys.I am sure someone can date them,the building under construction at the rear was built IIRC in 1937,wouls this tie in with the trucks. :slight_smile:

Mid to late 1950s. The first lorry on the right of the photo is a Thornycroft, then Seddon, Jensen. I showed the photo to a Blackburn haulage man from that era and he thought that the lorries might have been from the Vyella Textiles own account fleet, but I have my doubts about that.