Birmingham and black country firms

pete smith:

harry_gill:

pete smith:
This was sent to me so ain’t got a clue of its origins, will remove if asked,
Starr Roadways, looks like Blackburn on the door, anyone recognise the company? Nice looking Atki anyway, Cheer’s Pete

Hiya,
One of Griffith’s of Blackburn, W H Bowker took these over but I haven’t
got a clue why the Starr headboard, other than it was in it’s position of
having been purchased and awaiting it’s new paint job, I do remember
the motor though.
thanks harry, long retired.

Hi Harry,
Thank You for the information, hope all is going as well as to be expected for Mrs G and yourself, take care, Pete

Hiya,
Thanks Pete Mrs G has developed an infection in the operation area and
has had her treatment temporarily halted but she’s in good spirits.

harry_gill:

pete smith:
Starr Roadways, looks like Blackburn on the door, anyone recognise the company? Nice looking Atki anyway, Cheer’s Pete

Hiya,
the motor though.

I believe that Griffiths used to sub for Starr Roadways, hence the headboard. As Harry says, Bowker took over Griffiths (actually, there were two Blackburn operators called Griffiths, and Bowker bought both), and I have a photo of VTC 953 in full Bowker livery

240 Gardner:

harry_gill:

pete smith:

Hiya,
the motor though.

I believe that Griffiths used to sub for Starr Roadways, hence the headboard. As Harry says, Bowker took over Griffiths (actually, there were two Blackburn operators called Griffiths, and Bowker bought both), and I have a photo of VTC 953 in full Bowker livery

Hiya,
Am I correct in saying that one of the Griffith’s operators remained in business
as crane hire operators and I do know that one of the Griffiths sons Tom went
to London and with his pal Wally started up a clearing house business under
some railway arches can’t remember where but I did backload off them several
times about fifty odd years ago. Happy days.

Shovel on and off!

image.jpeg

These thanks to Richard Says and Mark Hobbs.
Oily

Black Country Mark Hobbs 14167212791_efaf4c8eee_mhk.jpg

Black Country Mark Hobbs 8430529662_47ff7f6d68_mhk.jpg

Black Country Richard 35483977256_4fda0e3643_rsk.jpg

Black Country 35232197803_2b80b0ba59_rs k.jpg

Black Country 32602516803_7bd3b1bc3c_rsk.jpg

Black Countery Richard 34765829660_b4eee5cb0a_rs k.jpg

Punchy Dan:

i did abit for sellick about 89.on a 4 wheeler d series

3821a3078662b28e039a46feda689518.jpg
Not my pic

image.jpegcookie1 :smiley:

daf3300:
anybody remember OVERLAND CONTRACTS acocks green, they did all the fork trucks from b,ham area yale clarks and cov climax , also had a guy in london area on contract to WILLIAM PRESS , he had a mandator with low loader this is around 67 ,68.

My brother drove for overland in the 1960s his name was bill smith, I used to wag school to go with him if I remember right the yard was by a railway line

pete smith:
Henry Joyner Birmingham

Just found the photo of a Joyner’s eight legged foden, my brother bill (smith) drove for them back in the fifties if I remember the one in the photo had a Gardner 150 engine and I think he actually drove it at some time, he drove several trucks for them including two stroke foden, dodges, and probably the last remaining sentinal (diesel engined) big and bulky huge cab. Breach.

Anyone veiwing in here who works or has worked for Adam Jones Blackheath, Hadley Industries aka ( George Green Transport) W.brom, Birds Oldbury, Lowes Transport Powke Lane, Parkes Transport New John St was it ? Blackheath.

wagsie:
Can anyone remember Oak Transport, Dartmouth street, West Bromwich…Red lorries, Leylands i think…My dad was the Mechnic there…

Hi my name is phil smith, my first job when I left school was an apprentice mechanic at oak transport the mechanic then was a fella named Jeff plevey, I started there in around 1963, my brother was a driver there at the time as well, some trucks were ERFs BMCs DODGEs and a ? LEYLAND, also the had some really older BMCs, is this any good to you?

robinswh:
Any one remember Henry Joiner? coal haulers back in 50 s and 60 s

As a kid I used to go with my brother Bill Smith when he worked for Joyner’s in short heath road erdinton, they had fodens with two stroke engines also dodges Atkinson’s and an old dentinal probably one of the last ones operating, hope this is useful.

Greacy, Pete Joyner who i presume was related ran his company called Bodybuilt there.Used them over the years for tipper ram and pto repairs.

r slicker:
here is a blast from the past for you.

i worked at stokes drums in west brom. are they still going ?. 2 ford cargo tractor units all steel drums handball on handball off. thats how i honed my crown green bowling skills rolling them off. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I worked for Stokes’s in the 1970s, he had a Bedford tk and a d series artic then, he later changed the tk for a long wheel base 7.5ton d series, I think the artic had a ■■■■■■■ engine, nice runs down to Fry’s of bath.

leylandlover:
Greacy, Pete Joyner who i presume was related ran his company called Bodybuilt there.Used them over the years for tipper ram and pto repairs.

Can’t remember Pete Joyner but I remember Dave Joyner who was the mechanic there.

shakey:
can anybody remember AMG from blakeley hall road oldbury they had a couple of trucks in their own colours but i worked for a subbie from shrewsbury used to do groupage to france and italy

I remember AMG, my brother Bill drove for them I seem to remember he drove a Berliet French truck, two others I remember where Les Powell and Trevor Onions they all did France and Italy. I used to go abroad with him from time to time.

Greacy:

shakey:
can anybody remember AMG from blakeley hall road oldbury they had a couple of trucks in their own colours but i worked for a subbie from shrewsbury used to do groupage to france and italy

I remember AMG, my brother Bill drove for them I seem to remember he drove a Berliet French truck, two others I remember where Les Powell and Trevor Onions they all did France and Italy. I used to go abroad with him from time to time.

Greacy
have a look at the Long Departed Southampton Hauliers page 457 a couple of pics of AMG one of a Berliet

KNS64:

Greacy:

shakey:

Greacy
have a look at the Long Departed Southampton Hauliers page 457 a couple of pics of AMG one of a Berliet

Kns64. Can’t find page 457, only goes up to page 412, old Southampton hauliers can you check?