Birmingham and black country firms

Punchy Dan:

Saviem:

pete smith:
Some more of Oakley’s

Evening all,

That yard of Oakleys could be a monkey to get into in frosty weather!..If you look at the last picture you can see just how hilly the Black Country really is!

Those little 81 Scanias did them well, big payload, and economic on local work. B&W tried very hard from Pensnett, but they were already losing ground to Hartshorne, the F86 6 wheeler was a pure Black Country lorry, and was everything that the AEC Marshall should have been. Scania simply did not have anything to compete, and ERF and Atkinson were too heavy, too expensive, and simply impossible to buy quickly…but the bare bones, rag a muffin Big J Guy was a good cheap alternative…and did great service, best ever chassis that the AEC .505 was ever powering!

Dan, a Ken Grainger Commer, real screamers, yet some had .6354 Perkins in them. Lovely tidy little fleet, and then Paul`s ERF, in its Dudley days…boy that lorry did some work, and was well looked after by Mr Hughes!

Cheerio for now.

Wow I did notice that was Mr A’s motor .

Morning Saviem,
I wonder what happened to the Chevvy that Barry restored? Barry rebuilt one of the wheels off that Chevvy…wooden spokes! That yard was like an alladins cave at least half a dozen of those Commers under sheets various cars in the garage he even got a brand new headlamp out of a box for a Rolls Royce silver Ghost! I wonder were it all went?
Those Commers I remember worked out of Chillington carrying wheel barrows and Graingers also ran a Dennis Jubilant? with a trailing axle, any one got a photo of it please? Cheer’s Pete

image.jpeg

Punchy Dan:

One of the tidiest sleeper conversions I’ve seen, Thank’s for posting Dan

Evening all.

Yes that looked tidy Pete, but it was not as tidy, or well built as the Longton ones. John was one of my best payers from the Hire and Reward section, never had to chase him for money, what he rented he paid for…a lot better than some of the bigger outfits…cash flow…they did not have any at all!

Going back to Oakleys, who was the salesman for B&W with the high pitched voice.....he ended up renting the Dudley Iron and Steel yard at Netherton, and broke Scanias, then did a fair bit of export to New Zealand? Joined Joseph Foulkes when Ken started the Mercedes franchise for a time…hell of a nice lad, lived at the top of the road from Himley into Dudley, and had a motorcaravan built on a 3 litre Rover!..I had a fair few deals with him over the years.

Funny, when I think back, the lads from B&W started around five good businesses in the lorry job…

Memories…

Cheerio for now.

Saviem:
Evening all.

Yes that looked tidy Pete, but it was not as tidy, or well built as the Longton ones. John was one of my best payers from the Hire and Reward section, never had to chase him for money, what he rented he paid for…a lot better than some of the bigger outfits…cash flow…they did not have any at all!

Going back to Oakleys, who was the salesman for B&W with the high pitched voice.....he ended up renting the Dudley Iron and Steel yard at Netherton, and broke Scanias, then did a fair bit of export to New Zealand? Joined Joseph Foulkes when Ken started the Mercedes franchise for a time…hell of a nice lad, lived at the top of the road from Himley into Dudley, and had a motorcaravan built on a 3 litre Rover!..I had a fair few deals with him over the years.

Funny, when I think back, the lads from B&W started around five good businesses in the lorry job…

Memories…

Cheerio for now.

Hi Saviem,
The only lad I know who broke Scania’s was Raymo, went to Kelly’s for a bit then started up in Ron Hudsons yard in Bilston (Hudley Trading) with Square deal and another lad who I can’t remember his name, Cheer’s Pete

Craddock Brother’s, pic belongs to “Gardner 8LXB”

pete smith:
A couple more of Oakley’s, Harry Gill please do not view last picture!

Hiya,
I won’t Pete I promise It’s nearly bedtime and I don’t want nightmares.
thanks harry, long retired.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hi Saviem,
Here is the motor that Glynn Swain bought off Millers, was a haulage chassis but overhang cut off and tipping gear fitted by Bradburn and Wedge, body is made up of old none tipping grain tanks off the older Albion’s

image.jpegnext stop Durban .
image.jpeg

pete smith:

is the guy in the flat cap named ernie fueling the guy up?

ergomatic man:

pete smith:

Sorry ergoman I don’t know! Anyway here is a pic of a restored Craddocks took at Gaydon, don’t know if it was on their fleet?

Robinsons Transport Cheslyn Hay

pete smith:

ergomatic man:

pete smith:

Sorry ergoman I don’t know! Anyway here is a pic of a restored Craddocks took at Gaydon, don’t know if it was on their fleet?

Hey pete thats Gloucester reg ! Any idea who the original owner was ? regards Keith

kingswinford kit:

pete smith:

ergomatic man:

pete smith:

Hey pete thats Gloucester reg ! Any idea who the original owner was ? regards Keith

Hi Keith,
There is a photo of it in S.Gardner’s of Gloucester livery on Flickr, can’t cut and paste link either Keith laptop like me…knacked!

Cheers for that pete , i know the feeling , regards Keith .

Somewhere in Birmingham,