Biggest challenges as a trucker

That’s ridiculous!
How do we tip the power balance to favor the truckers?

mnielsen:
That’s ridiculous!
How do we tip the power balance to favor the truckers?

Vote with your feet.

kjw21:
The job itself is easy enough.

The main thing that make this job anywhere near taxing is dealing with other humans (I use that word in the loosest possible sense).

You will rapidly learn how to keep a straight face (maybe the odd eye roll) when faced with idiots be it “goods in/despatch” chimps or 17 year old office bods with both the planning and communication skills of an amoeba.

Sadly this also includes RDC waiting rooms. I used to think the “out of hours/chalk mark on the tyres” story was a joke. I have genuinely heard it at least 10 times usually from a plank who claims to be on his way to Madrid/Czech/Timbuktu after this drop despite the little blue operators disc in the window saying otherwise

Not forgetting the classic I only do this job as a favour/pocket money/to pay for the Porsche.

Can you tell I spent 7 hours in Tesco, Dirft yesterday?

Despite this I’ve worked with some genuinely interesting and top people. They just seem to be getting rarer.

truckman020:

kjw21:
The job itself is easy enough.

The main thing that make this job anywhere near taxing is dealing with other humans (I use that word in the loosest possible sense).

You will rapidly learn how to keep a straight face (maybe the odd eye roll) when faced with idiots be it “goods in/despatch” chimps or 17 year old office bods with both the planning and communication skills of an amoeba.

Sadly this also includes RDC waiting rooms. I used to think the “out of hours/chalk mark on the tyres” story was a joke. I have genuinely heard it at least 10 times usually from a plank who claims to be on his way to Madrid/Czech/Timbuktu after this drop despite the little blue operators disc in the window saying otherwise

Not forgetting the classic I only do this job as a favour/pocket money/to pay for the Porsche.

Can you tell I spent 7 hours in Tesco, Dirft yesterday?

Despite this I’ve worked with some genuinely interesting and top people. They just seem to be getting rarer.

used to walk into RDCs,sit down,put my head back and pull my wooly hat over my eyes,this let other drivers know I wasn’t in the mood for chatting,usually worked

For me it’s trying to work out which of the new T/net members who suddenly appear on a mass posting spree and complete with back story are genuine and which are simply yet another duplicate account holder trying to get a rise from other members by posting controversial stuff. :open_mouth:
I really have a hard life, :laughing:

They’re a bit too obvious,to call it a challenging…though :stuck_out_tongue:

getting up early in the poxy morning,makes you more tired than anything

mrginge:
Getting out of bed at 2:30am is a challenge even if its only once every couple of weeks.

I get up at 4am now,thats bad enough,i used to get up at 1am to get into work for 2am,never again,i signed with an agency before and said 6 to 7 am start times,they agreed but then started with the ‘‘can you start at 3am’’ in the end I said ‘‘what part of 6 to 7am starts did you not understand’’ never heard from them again,no loss to me

My biggest problems are that I should never have got behind the wheel of a truck, this is a money trap that I am in, I can’t find another job that pays anywhere near as much as I get at present. Only last Thursday I was offered a managerial situation within the company but as I have cancer and intend to retire next September the stress would be too much. I swore that when I moved to the USA I would never bet in a truck again, that lasted 2 years.

Yorkielad:
If your on night trunking it’s road closures for me.
Getting around the network on a night is a joke sometimes.

Follow the diversion like everyone else ?

Crap addresses on paperwork.

The biggest problems are office staff who have never driven for a living. Planners, especially.

mnielsen:
I was wondering what are the three largest problems that you face in your job?

1:urinating and defecating without parental guidance.
2: discarding of refuse into a waste bin instead of a grass verge.
3: not being able to easily purchase a belt to reach around a 58” waist

chester:

mnielsen:

You’re either incredibly honest or you aint thought that through properly.
Or just a complete ■■■ not as clever as he thinks, which is the most likely scenario

It’s the foreign languages that get me. It’s not a racist comment, an observation maybe.

Debriefing
Networks
Logistics
Key Players
Service Providers
Blue Chips
Zero Hour Contracts
Eight Hour Assessments
Weeks Trial
Double Driving

As the late great Harry Monk once said, if you get paid to make a sausage, you are a professional sausage maker! [emoji14]

Trying to find a mechanic who doesnt think you are just another steering wheel attendant!

Wheel Nut:
It’s the foreign languages that get me. It’s not a racist comment, an observation maybe.

Debriefing
Networks
Logistics
Key Players
Service Providers
Blue Chips
Zero Hour Contracts
Eight Hour Assessments
Weeks Trial
Double Driving

As the late great Harry Monk once said, if you get paid to make a sausage, you are a professional sausage maker! [emoji14]

That whole list is alien to us. Possibly throwing the paperwork into the office is the nearest we get to ‘debriefing’… :stuck_out_tongue:

The-Snowman:

chester:

mnielsen:

Or just a complete ■■■ not as clever as he thinks, which is the most likely scenario

Attack the post not the poster.
No need for personal attacks.
I refer you to the stickie topic”Its Time”

chester:

The-Snowman:

chester:

mnielsen:

Attack the post not the poster.
No need for personal attacks.
I refer you to the stickie topic”Its Time”

+1

Robert

1)Trying not to rear end people that cut me up then slow down to come off the slip road at the last second
2)Trying to stay awake
3)Trying not to rage quit when I’m stressed and one of the supervisor monkeys sets his lip up.