Best Truck Driver Roads in the UK & Europe

Franglais:

muckles:
Went from Nice to Lucca in Italy this week, wasn’t so much the scenery as it was late at night, but the road is like driving the maddest race track, bend after bend, was driving a car and trailer not a truck though, Brian James trailers do handle well. :laughing: Would be a road to drive a GT car late at night.

Im no Porsche fan, but the car would have to be a Carrera, wouldnt it?

I think that would be a Top Gear discussion, :smiley:
The owner and driver of the last team I worked for, used to to live in Monaco, Monza was about the only race track he drove to instead of taking the private jet, for the trip he choose a Ferrarri. so as he has far more experience of these things than me, and was able to choose from his extensive collection of supercars, I think I might go with his choice. :smiley:

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:
Went from Nice to Lucca in Italy this week, wasn’t so much the scenery as it was late at night, but the road is like driving the maddest race track, bend after bend, was driving a car and trailer not a truck though, Brian James trailers do handle well. :laughing: Would be a road to drive a GT car late at night.

The owner and driver of the last team I worked for, used to to live in Monaco, Monza was about the only race track he drove to instead of taking the private jet, for the trip he choose a Ferrarri. so as he has far more experience of these things than me, and was able to choose from his extensive collection of supercars, I think I might go with his choice. :smiley:

I was thinking of this:
google.fr/maps/place/54033+ … 7677?hl=en
Bit of an obscure reference, sorry. AND I cocked it up with a mis-spelling. If it was daylight when you passed you may have seen the marble quarries.
Ive never driven a real supercar, but Ferraris have always made my eyes open up a little. :open_mouth: Im sure your boss would appreciate knowing I approve of his choice of cars. :unamused:

Franglais:
Coastal roads?
The Spanish N340 south of Algeciras. Ive only travelled that once, but that was a summer sunset; past the Pillar Of Hercules, looking over the water at Africa is monumental. Again, Ive only done it once, but the road from Ajaccio to Porto Vecchio, (to deliver a boat) then on around the coast to Bastia is a beautiful corniche.

Trieste-Dubrovnik. :wink:

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

I was thinking of this:
google.fr/maps/place/54033+ … 7677?hl=en
Bit of an obscure reference, sorry. AND I cocked it up with a mis-spelling. If it was daylight when you passed you may have seen the marble quarries.
Ive never driven a real supercar, but Ferraris have always made my eyes open up a little. :open_mouth: Im sure your boss would appreciate knowing I approve of his choice of cars. :unamused:

:laughing: Yep a bit to obscure for me, :laughing:
There is something about a Ferrari, especially in red, maybe its Italian passion over the impressive but clinical engineering of other makes.

Considering what I’ve been doing for nearly 20 years now, seems a bit unfair I’ve never driven a supercar either. :frowning: closet was a passenger ride in an Aston Martin DBS, well if you don’t take into account taking an E type for MOT.
Delivered an Aston Martin DB11 to Spain this week, but in a trailer, the thing was registered and used, would have thought they could have let me drive it there and fly home. :laughing:

After a little rethink and in quieter times many years ago,I used to enjoy the A66 from Scotch Corner to Penrith when traffic passed through Bowes,Brough and Appleby.Doing the 50 miles in an hour was an achievement and no the 40 mph limit wasn’t observed that much outside built up areas.Machines would have been a Scammell Crusader(280 Rolls) or a Daf DKS.

rigsby:

AndrewG:
Compared to many parts of Europe the UK hasnt got anything good to offer whatsoever. Best aka most beautiful road in Europe just has to be the Serpentine leading to Sa Colobra beach Mallorca…

I have to take issue with that Andrew , the A835 north from Inverness via Ullapool up to Scourie is the most beautiful drive in my experience . Dave

You beat me to it. Must be one of the most beautiful / stunning drives ever, never seen much that could ever match it, and I have travelled too. World class scenery. So remote and still the UK, although it doesn’t feel like it.

Ran from Kinlochbervie to France, normally down to Portsmouth, then ferry into Le Havre, dropping off, normally St. Malo, then Roscoff. St. Brieuc bridge looking down over the town was a nice sight of an early evening.

The A24 / N2 in Portugal north of Viseu up towards the Spanish border

Anywhere north of Berwick and Gretna and south and east of Calais …

Carryfast:
From Martigny through Valais and over the Simplon.The combination of massive scenery and open road is arguably as good as anything which North America can provide.

Blimey we agree. Having been to over 20 states and driven coast to coast I personally think Europe knocks America out the park when it comes to scenery.

I love the A5 through Snowdonia, any road over mountains, and I love driving in France (esp through centre over Milau Viaduct), Holland, West of Ireland and Nordic countries.

Oh I also love the roads into Portugal

Gidders:
Nowhere pleasant in the UK but several on the other side of the channel.
I used to enjoy the road in Spain from Sagunto to Zaragoza then onward to France either via Jaca or Pamplona.It’s motorway standard now but I recall when parts were packed earth before tarmac arrived.

that was a nice run, get to irun and turn left :grimacing: pamplona/zaragoza then back way to madrid

also the hairpin bends N-4 just north of bailen always used to see the trucks that had gone over the edge :open_mouth:

Anyone who reckons the UK doesn’t have any amazing scenery need to get out more! We may not have the biggest mountains or the best weather but one thing I’ve learnt after spending pretty much the whole of my adult life on the road all over the place is that the UK is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. The Solent, the jurassic coast, Cornwall, Devon, Forest of Dean, Brecon Beacons, Gower, Pembrokeshire, Cardigan Bay, Snowdonia, The Lake District, Pennine, Yorkshire Moors and on and on I could go…

It’s a beautiful little island and we should make the most of that

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
From Martigny through Valais and over the Simplon.The combination of massive scenery and open road is arguably as good as anything which North America can provide.

Blimey we agree. Having been to over 20 states and driven coast to coast I personally think Europe knocks America out the park when it comes to scenery.

I love the A5 through Snowdonia, any road over mountains, and I love driving in France (esp through centre over Milau Viaduct), Holland, West of Ireland and Nordic countries.

To be fair Coast to coast in the US using the right routes through Colorado and the the Sierra Nevada is spectacular enough or North South on the Eastern side through West Virginia. :bulb: :wink: But I agree Europe has some of the best scenery in the world.Especially the Mediterranean and Adriatic coasts and the Alps.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

To be fair Coast to coast in the US using the right routes through Colorado and the the Sierra Nevada is spectacular enough or North South on the Eastern side through West Virginia. :bulb: :wink: But I agree Europe has some of the best scenery in the world.Especially the Mediterranean and Adriatic coasts and the Alps.

Oh yes don’t get me wrong, it was a holiday of a lifetime with epic scenery but you literally can spend days driving through the same scenery where as in Europe in the space of 3 days you can have driven through 5/6/7 countries and through every type of scenery available! So much is packed into our little continent

burnley-si:

Gidders:
I used to enjoy the road in Spain from Sagunto to Zaragoza then onward to France either via Jaca or Pamplona.It’s motorway standard now but I recall when parts were packed earth before tarmac arrived.

that was a nice run, get to irun and turn left :grimacing: pamplona/zaragoza then back way to madrid

also the hairpin bends N-4 just north of bailen always used to see the trucks that had gone over the edge :open_mouth:

Via Jaca/ Huesca into France avoids those truck weighing thingies…its a good road but a little twisty… :sunglasses:

AndrewG:

burnley-si:

Gidders:

Via Jaca/ Huesca into France avoids those truck weighing thingies…its a good road but a little twisty… :sunglasses:

I seem to remember plans to improve the road on the French side were cancelled because of the local brown bears.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

N 230 past Viella over to Lleida is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I’m not allowed to post a link to the article, but if you look at our blog you’ll see it with credit to everyone who we’ve included.