favourite roads to drive

Ok. With easter coming up what’s your favourite road to drive.

Mine. Is from Callander up to Fort William.
Then across to Mallaig.
Or even up to Portree on sky.
Great open bits of tarmac that you can enjoy.

bertiebus:
Ok. With easter coming up what’s your favourite road to drive.

Mine. Is from Callander up to Fort William.
Then across to Mallaig.
Or even up to Portree on sky.
Great open bits of tarmac that you can enjoy.

Fort William to Mallaig is fantastic scenery wise, but before all the road improvements used to be hard work in a heavy underpowered manual.

Callander - Kyle of Loch Alsh is certainly a favourite. But for me the best is Inverness - Ullapool - Lochinver.
Always liked heading up the A697, the way the scenery changes form the industrial North East and the then when you get through Longfram it opens up into moorland then it is into the Beautiful Borders.

Any one that takes me home :slight_smile:

Through the Valais in Switzerland from/to Italy in mid summer is about as good as it gets this side of the Atlantic . :smiley:

Calgary to LA, everything from Prairie, National parks, Forests, Mountains, Valleys, Canyons & Deserts and as a bonus, through the center of Las Vegas at night, just fantastic.

A82 through Glencoe, especially on two wheels.

Any road that takes me away from the turd-pile that is London

Couple of times I’ve done the road from Cadiz to near Benidorm, that’s a sight worth seeing as well, but cant remember the number.

National 75 Route le Napoleon… Empty though…

As good as some of the roads are in this country
ie Scotland Lake District etc I far prefer the mountain passes of Switzerland Austria and Italy
and also prefer doing them on a motorcycle.
It’s just sheer bliss!

A483 - A44 through Wales and into Aber, late at night with no traffic…
Or during a warm summers day on my bike
Paul

A89 Inbetween Clermont-Ferrand and St-Etienne, has been my favorite new road to drive this year. Specially with a bit of power and running light.

Regarding lorry driving - US Hwy 12 in Lolo National Forest(Idaho and Montana). Fantastic scenery.

A697 without a doubt, only got to do it once unfortunately and half of that was in darkness, lovely road though.

The A286 through the South Downs. In fact, pretty much any road through the South Downs. Plus the road from Aberystwyth to Devil’s Bridge - I rode that way on the top deck of a double-decker bus back in the 90s but doing it by car isn’t as spectacular, and the same is true of the South Downs.

A31 though new forest on a winters Saturday morning just after sunrise on a frosty day red sun is lush
A272 any part as it keeps you on your toes and the fun of seeing Artics trying to go through Petworth

lee close all the way to my garage